maps for Italy?

jennie.m

Just wondering if anyone knows where/if it is possible to get:

1. mapping of Italy (Tivoli and Rome area) for my windows mobile 6 gps/pda, preferably of a scale suitable for walking rather than a road atlas. I use memorymap in the uk, but there don't seem to be any Italian maps available. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it though, its only a week!

2. Italy maps for "Route 66 navigate 7" sat nav software, which I also use on my Windows mob6

We're off to Tivoli soon, and I'm hoping to find a cache or two whilst there, and also slightly terrified at the idea of driving in Italy, so being able to use the satnav would be a big help. I've never driven on the wrong side before, and my Insignificant Other has already chickened out altogether :unsure:

Edited by jennie.m
Just wondering if anyone knows where/if it is possible to get:

1. mapping of Italy (Tivoli and Rome area) for my windows mobile 6 gps/pda, preferably of a scale suitable for walking rather than a road atlas. I use memorymap in the uk, but there don't seem to be any Italian maps available. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it though, its only a week!

2. Italy maps for "Route 66 navigate 7" sat nav software, which I also use on my Windows mob6

We're off to Tivoli soon, and I'm hoping to find a cache or two whilst there, and also slightly terrified at the idea of driving in Italy, so being able to use the satnav would be a big help. I've never driven on the wrong side before, and my Insignificant Other has already chickened out altogether :unsure:

I visited italy hiking during the summer and proper mapping was a problem. I've found around cities there are some OK paper maps, but only the city - as soon as you get out of a city it goes to 1:250000 as a minimum.

Unfortunately because of this the similar goes for electronic mapping. I found some maps for garmin but that's about all - nothing for windows mobile.

an option may be geocaching live. You can pre download maps (using desktop companion) and then import your pocket queries. Works quite well in the UK but I wasn't organised enough to set it up before I went to Italy!

Good luck!

We've not used GPS mapping for Italy but have found the "Kompass" series of paper maps perfect for walking.

The Map Shop in Upton on Severn have a fantastic range of available maps and will send mail order

Link :- http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/italy/italy.htm

Don't worry about the driving on the wrong side, after about half an hour it'll come naturally, just remember at roundabouts, go anticlockwise.

Edited by The Flying Boots

The Map Shop in Upton on Severn have a fantastic range of available maps and will send mail order

Link :- http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/italy/italy.htm

I've bought numerous foreign maps (Italy, France, Switzerland) from The Map Shop - always prompt and they've never been out of stock...the quality varies, but that's down to mapping agency of the country concerned!

In general the 'Official Maps' coverage of Italy is poor, but the detail on the IGC 1:25,000 map 101 of the Gran Paradiso National Park is excellent. The quality of the equivalent 1:50,000 maps of that area of NW Italy is not quite what you'd expect if you've been spoiled by the OS Landranger series!