GPS coordinates not given?

Hello all, I am a newbie and wondered if anyone here can shed light on this. I have only placed one geocache and wanted to do some more, however when I went to the locations my GPS just errored me. Are there certain areas the GPS just won't work and may I still drop a geocache with text instructions to find it? I had a cell signal at these spots but the GPS kept searching and searching..... one was in Temple, Maine and the other a little north of, in Madrid, Maine.

Anyone have a similar problem in these areas? May I still drop the caches with the nearest coordinates I can grab and lots of text clues?

You haven't found a single cache and you're hiding them? Wouldn't it be a bit easier to have some finding experience under your belt before hiding? That would be a great way to get to learn more about your GPS! :unsure:

Not that it's required, mind you.

Also, could you tell us what GPS you're using?

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Sounds like your relying on a cell phone GPS that may rely on the cell network instead of stallites to fix your position. Not a good way to Geocache.

I was thinking the same thing, this setup would probably be ok for a new user trying to find a cache, not for placing cache. I can always tell when someone uses their phone placing caches, quite often the coords are off a couple hundered feet or more.

Do us all a favor and wait to place this cache until you can borrow/buy a real GPS unit.

My bad.

I had actually read the rules & regulations in August, and never saw the answer to my question. Hmmm.

I figure GPS coordinates would work as far in as I can go- roughly 1 mile away on a decent dirt road - then it would be ok to go into clue mode. Right now there are no Geocaches in Temple, Maine and there are some very nice places for them.

Trainlove- thanks for responding. I am not on a military base, nor on a city sidewalk – I am just in the woods and mountains…small mountains ... of Maine.

I was really prompted to ask about this in the forum in hopes that some others had the same problem and found a solution, even if it means buying a better GPS. A friend of mine wondered if the rocks in the area prevent the GPS from working. I am still hoping for some theories or plugs for other GPS handhelds.

Starbrand & Hogrod - I am not using my cell, but I always have my cell handy. I am using a Garmin forerunner.

I have been having fun with the GPS, though still learning I have had no problems with it in many populated areas….areas that are really, really flooded with Geocaches on the map.

(Trainlove - The comment about lampposts and guard rails made me chuckle, but reminded me how cluttered the geocache map can look in certain areas, too. Glad to hear you like a little hike, too, when searching.)

Sounds like I should go read GPS reviews and look for some of the existing geocaches around here. Not a bad idea….not bad at all.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond!

Edited by SmallWorldTreks_Bee

You must get the correct coordinates of the cache placement. You cannot publish a cache without them.

You Forerunner should work anywhere in the world. Maybe there is something wrong with it, or you do not know how to use it.

I also suggest that you do some finding first, in order to learn more before placing.

Edited by Red90

Seems like I recall seeing the alias "Trainlove" on another Forum thread. That thread pertained to an individual called Trainlove who had been banned for some reason. In that thread there were two or three posters who appeared to be trying to get him/her reinstated (sockpuppets???) Could this be the same Trainlove? oh my... :unsure:

Seems like I recall seeing the alias "Trainlove" on another Forum thread. That thread pertained to an individual called Trainlove who had been banned for some reason. In that thread there were two or three posters who appeared to be trying to get him/her reinstated (sockpuppets???) Could this be the same Trainlove? oh my... :unsure:

I think trainlove was reinstated, just chooses to post on his own terms, I think this topic posting didn't meet his

criteria for public discourse, . . . and that's perfectly OK. I've never taken issue w/his posting, and he did/does

have strong positive contributions to those things Magellan(pre Triton). Take WAAS as an instance.

Pre eXplorist owners would be "in the dark" so to speak, w/out his shared efforts.

As to whether there were issues in other forums that may have revoked his reinstatement, . . . I know not.

Norm