caches in trash

Why do some people Hide caches in some of the worst places? I have only found 60 so far but some of the ones I have looked for have been in some of the most junky places you could find. Like in places that people have used for dumps. Why would people even think about hiding a cache there. Does anyone else have this happen to them or is it just my bad luck?? Dont get me wrong I have also seen some very nice caches. I just dont understand why people would hide a cache next to a junk pile !!!!! Or why people are so stupid for starting the junk pile in the first place!!!!

Edited by sand_man1910

I recently did a series of caches where the hider seemed to prefer side of the road trash dumps.

It got to the point where we could forgo the GPSr for locating the initial area.

We just drove around till we found the biggest trash piles.

Then we'd look at our Garmins and see the next cache on our list was there.

Why? Who knows. Looking at the age of the trash, it was obvious they were there long before the caches.

We CITO'd till we ran out of trash bags and didn't even put a dent in the various mountains of detritus.

I recently did a series of caches where the hider seemed to prefer side of the road trash dumps.

It got to the point where we could forgo the GPSr for locating the initial area.

We just drove around till we found the biggest trash piles.

Then we'd look at our Garmins and see the next cache on our list was there.

Why? Who knows. Looking at the age of the trash, it was obvious they were there long before the caches.

We CITO'd till we ran out of trash bags and didn't even put a dent in the various mountains of detritus.

I was going to ask you why you continued to pursue the series but I see it was for the cito opportunity.

Why do some people Hide caches in some of the worst places? I have only found 60 so far but some of the ones I have looked for have been in some of the most junky places you could find. Like in places that people have used for dumps. Why would people even think about hiding a cache there. Does anyone else have this happen to them or is it just my bad luck??

No, it isn't just you. Why people hide caches in such crappy locations is unknown. What is known however, is that if you make any comments about it, you will immediately be asked "did you CITO"? :lol:

People seem to think these are great places to hide a 'clever' container they have made out of their own junk.

In a sense, I guess they are, since it can be very difficult to find their junk amongst all the other junk.

I think perhaps we are stuck with the 'I made this cool container out of household debris, now where can I place it?' crowd.

I much prefer the 'I found this cool location and made the container to fit in perfectly with the surroundings!' folks.

While the CITO opportunity is nice, couldn't we just hold an event?

I was caching with a friend yesterday and this topic came up. We thought it would be a good idea to find the trashiest, most littered parts of town and place a trash-cache there.....with the additional logging requirement that you must post a picture of yourself cleaning up at least a small trash-bag's worth of litter to count it as a find.

Once I start hiding my own caches, I'm totally going to do this! The other day while caching we hauled out 4 bags of trash and recyclables!

Why do some people Hide caches in some of the worst places? I have only found 60 so far but some of the ones I have looked for have been in some of the most junky places you could find. Like in places that people have used for dumps. Why would people even think about hiding a cache there. Does anyone else have this happen to them or is it just my bad luck?? Dont get me wrong I have also seen some very nice caches. I just dont understand why people would hide a cache next to a junk pile !!!!! Or why people are so stupid for starting the junk pile in the first place!!!!

My theory as that people who hide caches like this are smiley collectors and they are helping others collect smileys just like they do.

Edited by Knight2000
with the additional logging requirement that you must...

ALRs are no longer allowed. If you listed it as a request, I think most players would honor it.

I found one on the Gulf Coast similar to this. A quality container, in a pulloff with a nice view of the water.

Unfortunately, the beer drinking locals also enjoyed the view, and left their bottles/cans as evidence.

The cache owner wanted to restore the site to its former pristine beauty by asking finders to CITO.

We cleaned up every bottle/can there. Filled two full sized trash bags and a few grocery bags.

Found a cache inSIDE of a piece of junk once...an old stove in the woods.

Pardon my French, but who the HELL lugs a stove to the middle of the woods? It's not something I would waste effort on. I guess that's why they put a cache in it. To get some use out of it.

Spend enough time hiking in the woods, especially wooded areas close to urban centers, and you will find stoves, refirgerators, cars, and other large items -- not on the perimeter, but WAY back in there in the middle of the thick stuff. I too often wonder how they got the items back in there. And some of the items have been there for a while -- when a small tree has grown through the hole in the floorboard and is sticking out of the sunroof, that didn't happen overnight!

Found a cache inSIDE of a piece of junk once...an old stove in the woods.

Pardon my French, but who the HELL lugs a stove to the middle of the woods? It's not something I would waste effort on. I guess that's why they put a cache in it. To get some use out of it.

Spend enough time hiking in the woods, especially wooded areas close to urban centers, and you will find stoves, refirgerators, cars, and other large items -- not on the perimeter, but WAY back in there in the middle of the thick stuff. I too often wonder how they got the items back in there. And some of the items have been there for a while -- when a small tree has grown through the hole in the floorboard and is sticking out of the sunroof, that didn't happen overnight!

I just wished if people are going to hide caches next to a junk pile they would tell about it in there listing. I do not like to take my 4 year old son digging in trash!!!