Hiking with Antenna - 60csx Belt Clip - Antenna Conflict

seldom_sn

I just got a Gilsson antenna for my 60CSX, and discovered the belt clip and the antenna mount try to share the same space. I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone who has HIKED with a 60CSX and an antenna regarding a case that would allow convenient access to view the map and set waypoints but would avoid the clip conflict.

Also, need suggestions on how to mount and locate the antenna. So far my best guess is to use stick on velcro and put it inside a hat.

My first question is why you need the external antenna?

My 60CSx always got excellent reception without an secondary antenna. Do you have issues with yours? If so you might want to have it checked out.

As for how to use both I couldn't answer because as I said I never used the external antenna.

The question is what do you mean by excellent, and what do I mean by excellent. I'm very happy with my 60CSX when I have a "clear view of sky", but I make maps, and I'd like to use my 60CSX to map some canyons where the "clear view of sky" is quite limited.

I don't know whether this will work or not, but I need answers to the questions in the OP in order to find out.

Seldom sn,

You are "Right On" with your opinion of external antenna improving reception accuracy in difficult conditions! Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

The GPS Outfitter case workswell and has places for extra batteries and used batteries. Can be placed on your belt or carried on a shoulder strap like a camera.

Velcro'd on a cap bill, or on top of a hat,helmet, etc works well. Any of those places are better than on a pack strap or in a pack because of signal blockage by your head,or body, etc.

A couple of other suggestions........ keep moving while logging, and I have found that using track logging method "Auto" and track logging interval "more often" or "most often" works best.

Trimble Planning (free) software can help immensely to choose the absolute best time (regarding satellite geometry) to map a really difficult location.

and....you will find that there are still SOME places (slot canyons) that are impossible.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Seldom sn,

You are "Right On" with your opinion of external antenna improving reception accuracy in difficult conditions! Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Velcro'd on a cap bill, or on top of a hat,helmet, etc works well. Any of those places are better than on a pack strap or in a pack because of signal blockage by your head,or body, etc.

A couple of other suggestions........ keep moving while logging, and I have found that using track logging method "Auto" and track logging interval "more often" or "most often" works best.

Trimble Planning (free) software can help immensely to choose the absolute best time (regarding satellite geometry) to map a really difficult location.

and....you will find that there are still SOME places (slot canyons) that are impossible.

I've been looking at Trimble and will use it to plan my next trip. Too bad about the canyons, but maybe Zion's wide enough so my tracks won't freak just below Refrigerator Canyon. Still looking for a recommendation on a case or holster for the 60CSX.

I just got a Gilsson antenna for my 60CSX, and discovered the belt clip and the antenna mount try to share the same space. I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone who has HIKED with a 60CSX and an antenna regarding a case that would allow convenient access to view the map and set waypoints but would avoid the clip conflict.

Also, need suggestions on how to mount and locate the antenna. So far my best guess is to use stick on velcro and put it inside a hat.

I have one of these belt clips: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1035 I like it a lot. It has a lot more flexibility while your GPS is hooked to it.

I carry my GPS in a padded Cell Phone case. This is pretty old since cell phones aren't that large anymore, but it work quite well. I don't use my external antenna much. I bought it for using in cars such as Pontiacs and Buicks that have something in the windshields that blocks the signal. I remember several cachers in an earlier thread discussing how they have attached their antennas to ball caps for best reception

I have one of these belt clips: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1035 I like it a lot. It has a lot more flexibility while your GPS is hooked to it.

Not sure that will help. It looks like the black end of the clip that attaches to the 60CSX is the same size as the normal belt clip. The problem I've got is that the standard belt clip is too big to accept the antenna plug. If you've got a ruler handy, I'd appreciate your measuring it and telling me how wide it is.

Not sure that will help. It looks like the black end of the clip that attaches to the 60CSX is the same size as the normal belt clip. The problem I've got is that the standard belt clip is too big to accept the antenna plug. If you've got a ruler handy, I'd appreciate your measuring it and telling me how wide it is.

I sent you a Private Message.......... I can send photos of the back of my 60csx hooked up to the Carabiner style clip........

Kayak-Cowboy

I've got a Gilsson MCX3M that I use with my 60Csx occasionally. I've either thrown it into the lid of my pack, or used Garmin's cheap nylon zipper case, on my belt.

But like other posters have mentioned, I rarely use the Gilsson, even in canyons. There is a thought out there that increased sensitivity in canyons makes the GPSr more receptive to multipath error.

Good luck with your attachment, hope you find a suitable solution.

Cheers,

Jim

............ There is a thought out there that increased sensitivity in canyons makes the GPSr more receptive to multipath error.

Cheers,

Jim

In my actual personal experience, I have found the exact opposite to be true when using an X antenna.....less problems with multipath errors and fewer problems with "random points". The user still has the advantage of the "high sensitivity" chipset while the high mounting of the X antenna (top of hat,helmet,cap) eliminates or reduces signal blockage.

Granted, my experience is not a scientifically valid test. I'm only basing my opinion on actual results of numerous past "out and back" tracks under difficult conditions that overlay each other extremely closely.

When viewing tracks overlayed on 1:24000 USGS maps, the tracks are a "perfect" match. It's only when viewed "zoomed in" to the point where the map contour lines start to become "pixelated" , that you can even tell that there are multiple tracks. That's saying that the tracks are probably more accurate than the map, which is "plenty close enough" for me and "Government Work".

As stated above, there are places where reception is impossible......at least for me....so far.....

............ There is a thought out there that increased sensitivity in canyons makes the GPSr more receptive to multipath error.

Cheers,

Jim

In my actual personal experience, I have found the exact opposite to be true when using an X antenna.....less problems with multipath errors and fewer problems with "random points". The user still has the advantage of the "high sensitivity" chipset while the high mounting of the X antenna (top of hat,helmet,cap) eliminates or reduces signal blockage.

Granted, my experience is not a scientifically valid test. I'm only basing my opinion on actual results of numerous past "out and back" tracks under difficult conditions that overlay each other extremely closely.

When viewing tracks overlayed on 1:24000 USGS maps, the tracks are a "perfect" match. It's only when viewed "zoomed in" to the point where the map contour lines start to become "pixelated" , that you can even tell that there are multiple tracks. That's saying that the tracks are probably more accurate than the map, which is "plenty close enough" for me and "Government Work".

As stated above, there are places where reception is impossible......at least for me....so far.....

Thanks, everybody. I've had a dose of high-sensitivity freakyness on my last trips to Zion, the question is whether higher sensitivity will maybe add more satellites and make the track less jumpy, or whether it will make the track more so.

My hiking camera is an 8 year old Contax G2 film camera which I geotag using waypoints. Hence the need for an easily accessible holster or clip. Thanks kayak cowboy for your photos, grasscatcher for your advice, and jimlarkey for the tip for Geosetter (delivered elsewhere). Geosetter is a great way to tag those film photos.

I like Tilley hats for a variety of reasons. I have three of them. Each has a "secret" pocket in the top of the hat, accessed from a velcro enclosure inside the hat. My external antenna fits in there nicely. It seems to really like to be there. Not only is it the best possible view of the sky but the antenna seems to think my head is a pretty good ground plane.

...ken...