geocacheing and FRS

NM8B

i read today in the FAQ that channel 2 FRS" family radio service" has been adopted as the the cacher channel.

i was wondering does anyone even use this while cacheing or try and contact other cachers while out hunting? As a ham i generally take my HT with me but its on the local repeater.

"Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout."

i read today in the FAQ that channel 2 FRS" family radio service" has been adopted as the the cacher channel.

i was wondering does anyone even use this while cacheing or try and contact other cachers while out hunting? As a ham i generally take my HT with me but its on the local repeater.

"Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout."

Typically the radios are a good tool for events and such. The radios have such a short range (depending on environment and landscape) that they serve little purpose for a random geocache encounter.

We used to use them, and still carry the FRS, in the Jeeps for communication. We have everybody switched to CB since the range is much greater.

I've had the GMRS radio (License Required) for a year or so, and in scanner mode I've never heard anyone else. Even though it says 15 miles....it is good for about a mile in the woods.

The FRS is Channels 1-14 and GMRS is Channels 15-22.....they make some combined models.

Hame radio (2 meter) was 147.555 based on some discussions here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;hl=frequency

For range and the possibility of reaching someone in an emergency when out in the boonies....I carry a cell phone and CB walkie-talkie.

I think I have gotten at least 15 miles line of sight on my Motorola FRS.

I was on the top of Lost Mine Trail when I made a radio call to my sister who was in Rio Grande Village shopping. (In Big Bend Natl Park, Tx)

She came in loud and clear.

Of course, distances for non-Line of Sight communications will be far shorter.

Happy Caching,

Steve.

I've had the GMRS radio (License Required) for a year or so, and in scanner mode I've never heard anyone else. Even though it says 15 miles....it is good for about a mile in the woods.

The FRS is Channels 1-14 and GMRS is Channels 15-22.....they make some combined models.

Hame radio (2 meter) was 147.555 based on some discussions here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;hl=frequency

For range and the possibility of reaching someone in an emergency when out in the boonies....I carry a cell phone and CB walkie-talkie.

thanks for the information i cant believe how long that thread lasted over a year! and i still dont think they all agreed lol.. i did like the idea of listing the local repeater freq and simplex most used on the cache listing. i looked at GMRS in till i saw the price! and i guess i dont need it anyway ham license is cheaper last longer and gives you better results..