Transparent polygons using Gentyp

GeoBobC

I am making a custom map using MapEdit and MapSetToolKit. I've used GenTyp to create typ files for the polylines. I have added some polygon objects but they are not transparent: I would like to see "through" the polygon areas to the roads and topographical information underneath.

Can anyone please tell me, in simple terms, how I can create a semi-transparent polygon? I suspect I need to do something with a typ file, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help!

I am making a custom map using MapEdit and MapSetToolKit. I've used GenTyp to create typ files for the polylines. I have added some polygon objects but they are not transparent: I would like to see "through" the polygon areas to the roads and topographical information underneath.

Can anyone please tell me, in simple terms, how I can create a semi-transparent polygon? I suspect I need to do something with a typ file, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help!

I make a lot of maps, but have never dealt with a TYP file, so I'm writing from ignorance. Garmin's standard forest is an intermittent bitmap of green blobs. If you have the cgpsmapper manual, you'll see there are ways to generate your own bitmaps for areas and line types and add them to the TYP file. I suspect that all colors are probably opaque, but that you could achieve transparency by either setting the draw order for the layer to a low number or creating a dither of colors.

The manual says TYP files are quite fussy about syntax, so be sure to read the whole section.

'Transparent' was an inaccurate translation from Polish of 'overlay'. As you observed points and lines in such mapsets funciton OK, but the standard polygons are opaque and cover over any data in the non-overlay mapset. I have seen mapsets using 'semi-transparent' polygons (various lines on a clear background), but they require the use of a custom .typ file which can not be used by some of the older Garmin GPSrs.

Thanks for the help!

I just did that for a map that I want to use as an overlay for a topo map (Hawaii's lava flow fields).

You're right, you need to create a typ file. Go to http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi and choose the "Create" tab, then "Create a completely new TYP file from scratch"

For each polygon you want to see "transparent", you select "Add new polygon",

- select the corresponding type and subtype (which you can find in GPSMapEdit),

- Drawing order: 1

- Color mode: 14) day+night: 1 color transparent bitmap,

- enter the color you wish in hexadecimal (I use this page to get the hexadecimal code: http://www.allprofitallfree.com/color-wheel2.html

- choose the pattern of foreground and background color

I chose a chessboard pattern by selecting "Repeat pattern every 2 pixels in x axis" and "Repeat pattern every 2 pixels in y axis" and clicking on the square on the left.

The more black (foreground color) pixels you have in the square, the less transparent the polygon will be.

When you're done, click on "Save" on the green line of each polygon (which will show you a preview of the transparency of the polygon on different color backgrounds).

Finally, download the TYP file by clicking on the corresponding button at the bottom of the page

create a 32x32 bitmap image of your choice in any graphics program then Add/Edit Image in GenTYP to custom type any standard polygon

the density of your bitmap will control the "transparency"...the more pixels you fill creating your pattern will cover more of your map

bitmap example 1

20.jpg

creates this

test202.jpg

bitmap example 2

dash.jpg

creates this

testdash.jpg

Edited by rws

RE: transparent polygons. I read your geocaching post and understand the concept now. How do you easily create an image with the checkerboard patterns? Thank you for your assistance.

geobobc

I created this short video showing how to make the 50% coverage bitmap used in GenTYP to create semi-transparent polygons....as shown in my post above. I used Photoshop Elements to make the image...other graphics programs would prolly work the same way. You can make any pattern you desire, but remember to design it so it repeats itself as the bitmap will be tiled when applied to the polygons.

Video

How do you easily create an image with the checkerboard patterns? Thank you for your assistance.

MS Paint is simple enough.

Ok, then please explain how I can draw a checkerboard. Thank you.

In MS Paint: 1. Image Button --> Attributes... change to 32 x 32 for width and height and check Pixel box. 2. Click on View Button --> Zoom --> Custom and check 800% box. 3. Highlight Pencil tool and check every other pixel/space. 4. After checkerboard is complete go to View Button again and change size back to Normal and save .bmp file.

I use MS Paint for a lot of simple graphics (custom POIs and Custom Waypoint symbols) just for it's quickness and ease of application for bitmap files. Another more advanced simple program that displays the individual pixels in their on box is Icon Forge. Last I checked a 30 day Free Trial is available.

Edited by eaparks

How do you easily create an image with the checkerboard patterns? Thank you for your assistance.

MS Paint is simple enough.

Ok, then please explain how I can draw a checkerboard. Thank you.

One thing you can do instantly is right click on the images rws posted and do a "save as..." and download them and use them as a template to make others from.

Just saying...

Edited by JDiablo

Wow, this is really nice. I coud never figure out those type files. The one I used others made for me. But that web site is so simple. I love it! Making lots of changes in my maps.

One question. I have a mapset with the National Wetland Inventory for IL. Is there a way to get it to still show wetland but have the wetlands be transparent to show what is under them. Or can you just do the trick with solid colors?