Do The Garmin GPS's Come With Mapping Software

I want to buy a new handheld but it seems the Magellan and Garmin websites are kinda shady on weather I need to buy the city maps for routing. I thought Garmin used to come with one or two licenses for Cityselect or whaever it was called.

Also, I have heard a lot of bad things about Magellan Triton series ... is this true?? I have always had a soft spot for Magellan. Again there website was vague on what maps were included. Although, now that I'm typing this I remember seeing the all come with basemap which must be highways and stuff and then ... oh I think I answered my own question.

Why do we have to buy these maps for routing? You would think they would come with it.

IR

Can't speak for Magellan, but there's nothing "shady" about Garmin. It's all clearly spelled out on their website, if you look.

A handheld owner may or may not have the need to use it for routing. If routing maps were automatically included, you might end up paying for something you don't need.

Edited by Prime Suspect

For Garmin you need to buy maps for auto routing and you can only use them for one unit.

That's true if you get them on DVD, but not if you get them on SD card...then you can move them between units when you upgrade. Of course, they'll probably be out-dated by then and will need to be replaced anyway.

Or, you can get FREE maps from OSM. They're not as good as the ones from Garmin...but you know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

For Garmin you need to buy maps for auto routing and you can only use them for one unit.

That's true if you get them on DVD, but not if you get them on SD card...then you can move them between units when you upgrade. Of course, they'll probably be out-dated by then and will need to be replaced anyway.

Or, you can get FREE maps from OSM. They're not as good as the ones from Garmin...but you know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

I've seen the SD cards mentioned a few times,I did the download to an SD card,I was wondering if there

are preloaded ones as well....?Anyway can my downloaded card be used in a upgraded unit?Forgive me

for popping this in here,I think its somewhat relevent I hope....I've been curious but didnt feel it was worth

starting a thread.

I've seen the SD cards mentioned a few times,I did the download to an SD card,I was wondering if there

are preloaded ones as well....?Anyway can my downloaded card be used in a upgraded unit?Forgive me

for popping this in here,I think its somewhat relevent I hope....I've been curious but didnt feel it was worth

starting a thread.

If you downloaded to an SD card...then you bought your maps on DVD and the maps are unlocked for a single GPS (you had to enter an unlock code when you installed the maps).

If you buy a pre-loaded SD card...then the map is unlocked for any GPS. However, you can't load anything else on these SD cards.

starting a thread.

If you downloaded to an SD card...then you bought your maps on DVD and the maps are unlocked for a single GPS (you had to enter an unlock code when you installed the maps).

If you buy a pre-loaded SD card...then the map is unlocked for any GPS. However, you can't load anything else on these SD cards.

Fiqures.....hehe didnt do my homework again...way to go spektrum.Thanks fegan much appreciated!

Geez....just went to Garmins website and the preloaded is the same price too.....I thought the download

was a convenience thing.Do your homework Folks!!!!!!

Edited by spektrum2