Help for buying a GPS

I have looked at the link to guide in buying a GPS. I do have a question though. We are expats living in Beijing, China. We wanted to buy one here because we assumed that an English version would not work here. Is that correct? Anyway, they told us that you could not input the coordinates. BTW, are coordinates and waypoints the same thing? My question is: Should all GPS devices have a place in which to input the waypoints? The people we asked sold the devices but of course do not own a vehicle so they may possibly not know how to use one. It is all in Chinese and though we can read some characters, it would take a very long time to figure it out. But, if someone told us that they thought that ALL GPS devices have waypoint input, then we will go back and try to figure it out. I hope this made sense. Thank you so much!

I have looked at the link to guide in buying a GPS. I do have a question though. We are expats living in Beijing, China. We wanted to buy one here because we assumed that an English version would not work here. Is that correct? Anyway, they told us that you could not input the coordinates. BTW, are coordinates and waypoints the same thing? My question is: Should all GPS devices have a place in which to input the waypoints? The people we asked sold the devices but of course do not own a vehicle so they may possibly not know how to use one. It is all in Chinese and though we can read some characters, it would take a very long time to figure it out. But, if someone told us that they thought that ALL GPS devices have waypoint input, then we will go back and try to figure it out. I hope this made sense. Thank you so much!

If you buy a Garmin GPS you can buy China Navigator NT2008 which can be loaded into mapsource then uploaded to your GPS. Most if not all GPS units allow you to input waypoints but not usually as latlong coordinates. It is easier to use mapsource or some other POI software to manage the lists. An English/US unit will work in China just fine. Waypoints are just markers on a map eg. a gas station. It is stored as a comma delimited text file read about poi here...

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/...m_poi_files.jsp

Do you want it for auto use or handheld? There are plenty of Nuvi models for the car or Oregon for walking.

I recommend you stick with Garmin for outside Europe. TomTom is great but not for China.

Buy a good mid price Nuvi from Amazon and google around for maps and software.

Most if not all GPS units allow you to input waypoints but not usually as latlong coordinates.

If you can input a waypoint, you can edit that waypoint coordinates.

Usually you simply press and hold a button to create awaypoint and the next screen will let you save it as is or edit it (name, cooridnates, symbol, notes, etc).

As far as I know an english version will work in China.. It has an english menu.. As noted above there is away to manually enter waypoints, by editing.. I do it all the time.. IMO since you are in China I am guessing that the units there are in Chinese... I would think that the only difference in a Chinese GPS and an English one is the language..

Edited by zilla