Saskatoon SK Caching in Winter?

Fuzzywhip

My aunt will hopefully be visiting Saskatoon around Christmas time and wants to show her kids what geocaching is all about (she is addicted).

It looks like Confederation Park (just off Confederation Drive) is one of the parks she will have access.

What is caching like in Saskatoon in winter?

(I was born and raised in Yorkton, so I know what winter is like in Saskatchewan. However, I personally have not cached there in winter.)

Any suggestions or recommended caches would be appreciated.

Fuzzywhip

Edited by Fuzzywhip

My aunt will hopefully be visiting Saskatoon around Christmas time and wants to show her kids what geocaching is all about (she is addicted).

It looks like Confederation Park (just off Confederation Drive) is one of the parks she will have access.

(I was born and raised in Yorkton, so I know what winter is like in Saskatchewan. However, I personally have not cached there in winter.)

Any suggestions or recommended caches would be appreciated.

Fuzzywhip

BBBRRRRRR

Having lived near Brandon Manitoba for several years BRRR is all I can say

But Dress for it and go for winter friendly caches

Winter caching can be very cold but yet very fun!!!!! Last winter was my first winter caching and I live in Regina Saskatchewan. you can find most caches you would normally find but you just have to do more digging in the snow. I find it even more fun then in the summer. And when your all bundled up no muggles can tell who you are. Also signing the log can sometime be a hassle considering you can freeze your fingers in a matter of seconds! so sign quick

all in all ... Very fun

So how old are these children? I'm assuming they're not small children, so micros won't be too looked down upon... There are plenty of micros on the west side of Saskatoon, some which are evil and tricky (mostly hidden by bennykidd).

confederation park has only one cache - a not winter-friendly multi cache. they'll have to leave the neighbourhood to go caching.

As far as winter friendly caches around Saskatoon, it seems like some cachers from Saskatoon will include caches on the ground as being winter-friendly. Bring a poking stick! Thankfully the cachers from Saskatoon with the most hides use that attribute correctly - that would be Saskgirl & Novy. Most of their hides are on the east side of town though.

There will be the winter cache game happening in Saskatoon at the time, so there will probably be a number of cache events happening in December! She's welcome to join in and meet some new friends!

here are some caches which I recommend for the Saskatoon area:

1. Sask-cache-one - GC14F - the third oldest cache in Canada. A short drive out of town, then a short hike through the snow to get to it, and there is a small amount of deadfall around the cache so watch your step!

2. Johnny Cache - GC1RRPF - fun cache which will be easy to find in winter. An even shorter drive out of town, but a little bit of bushwhacking.

3. Laws of Attraction - GC1RQJX - & Double AA “Assist” - GC1V24V - I haven't tried to find these yet, but I hear good things about them (not sure if they're findable in winter)

4. Is Anybody Home? - GC1RH8E - winter friendly, good cache. You walk through an off-leash dog park to get to it

5. How Sweet It Is - GC18HBK - find a cache, then if you like reward yourself with a treat!

6. there's also a bookmark list of recommended caches put together by someone who visited saskatoon this past summer saskatoon recommended caches. Personally, I wouldn't have some of them on my list of recommended caches, but different strokes for different folks!

Having hugged a more than a few spruce trees in our visit this summer,

I can definitely say that the only thing worse would be to hugging spruce trees while looking for a nano/micro in the winter!

We penned the list hurley anne refers to above - they were the caches that a few local cachers recommended we do while we were there. The ones we actually did were great, and include some she has mentioned. We just didn't have time to do them all!

The most fun we had was when benny-kidd took us for a whirlwind of the area, banging off about 12 caches in an hour.

The second most fun we had was when, sorry to my S'toon friends, we made up a no micros pocket Query :mad:

Edited by doingitoldschool

I worked near Saskabush one year. Sometime in October they stop saying "minus" in the weather forecast as it is "assumed" (need frozen emoticon) :anibad:

Well, that would be right now. The awful stuff hit here on the 8th and it doesn't look like it's going to change much in the next few days.

But you guys got it earlier than we did so.... :(

...ken...

Having hugged a more than a few spruce trees in our visit this summer,

I can definitely say that the only thing worse would be to hugging spruce trees while looking for a nano/micro in the winter!

Actually, spruce trees are much less nasty to seach through in the winter, as you are protected from their pricklyness by a thick winter coat and gloves or mittens :D

My usual suggestion for easy caching in the snow... : a pocket query with caches "found in the last X days", choosing X so that only caches found since the last big snow storm are listed. That way, you usually don't have to do any digging, and the tracks can help too :laughing: .