eTrex Vista HCx problem

Just recently, I have just had a new overhauled eTrex Vista HCx delivered to me from Garmin to which I have noticed a problem.

I am reluctant to send it back to Garmin for a replacement as it will be the 5th (yes fifth!), GPS unit that I’ve sent to them with a problem and which they have replaced. ;)

I noticed that it had installed firmware version 3.00 and chipset SW version 2.90.

Apart from the occassional flickering screens that seems to be common amongst the Vista HCx’s, I noticed that whilst playing the Gekoids game, the triangular spaceship (after a short time playing) gives up turning and just stays pointing in the same direction and cannot be rotated.

So I updated the firmware to version 3.10 (SW2.90) but this didn’t correct the problem.

I then downgraded the firmware to version 2.80 (SW2.90) and this still didn’t correct the problem.

I hope it’s a firmware problem not the hardware problem and that a future firmware version will sort it.

Has anyone noticed/experienced this problem?

Edited by Bicycle Repairman

Just recently, I have just had a new overhauled eTrex Vista HCx delivered to me from Garmin to which I have noticed a problem.

I am reluctant to send it back to Garmin for a replacement as it will be the 5th (yes fifth!), GPS unit that I’ve sent to them with a problem and which they have replaced. ;)

I noticed that it had installed firmware version 3.00 and chipset WS version 2.90.

Apart from the occassional flickering screens that seems to be common amongst the Vista HCx’s, I noticed that whilst playing the Gekoids game, the triangular spaceship (after a short time playing) gives up turning and just stays pointing in the same direction and cannot be rotated.

So I updated the firmware to version 3.10 (SW2.90) but this didn’t correct the problem.

I then downgraded the firmware to version 2.80 (SW2.90) and this still didn’t correct the problem.

I hope it’s a firmware problem not the hardware problem and that a future firmware version will sort it.

Has anyone noticed/experienced this problem?

The software configuration that I prefer is firmware 2.80 and chipset 2.50. However, I don't know how that configuration performs with the gps games.

I never play the games but I have noticed some flickering. There was a thread explaining that this was some kind of normal artifact from adjusting brightness but I don't know. Hasn't gotten any worse though.

My venture has a bug in that I can turn it on, tell it gps off (when I am in my room and don't need it on), but cannot turn it back on from the menu - or it will lock up and I will have to resort to taking the batteries out.

I will try and reproduce the problem the next time I turn my vista on. I feel sorry for people that do not utilize the interweb for information, I wonder how many people are trying and failing, to use buggy and malfunctioning units. Seems like it's impossible to get a good one the first try out.