Addendum to guidelines

Knight2000

Do the less sensible people a favor by not asking them to know better.
But do we just do them favors on electrical boxes? As you mentioned there are several other types of caches and situations that are dangerous but for those you seem to let people be on their own to determine if they should go ahead, but for these you want to protect them.

I have a big problem with trying to protect people from themselves, and a bigger problem when people try and protect me from myself.

If you're okay with someone else driving their car to someone else's geocache, but only if that geocache is not a "dangerous" electrical box, I've got to wonder why you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

First, determine what type of cache or caches you WANT to find. Second, read the descriptions, hints, logs, attributes, & several other pieces of information about the cache that is already available.

It's rare that the description, hints, logs and attributes mention that the piece of equipment is public property such as a hydro box, telephone junction box, cable box, safety equipment, etc. Most people don't want their find log deleted. More often you read how the CO will want to make this find difficult and provide little information and no hint because they don't want to spoil the fun. When I suggested leaving a message of concern in the online log Shopp99er replied: "Leaving a note on the page would be tantamount to leaving a spoiler."

First, determine what type of cache or caches you WANT to find. Second, read the descriptions, hints, logs, attributes, & several other pieces of information about the cache that is already available.

It's rare that the description, hints, logs and attributes mention that the piece of equipment is public property such as a hydro box, telephone junction box, cable box, safety equipment, etc. Most people don't want their find log deleted. More often you read how the CO will want to make this find difficult and provide little information and no hint because they don't want to spoil the fun. When I suggested leaving a message of concern in the online log Shopp99er replied: "Leaving a note on the page would be tantamount to leaving a spoiler."

Then those are the very types of caches you DON'T need to look for, if you have personal concerns over certain types. At least 75% of caches list enough informtion that you can determine to a reasonable degree what to expect....35mm can under a skirt, ammo box in the woods, L & L in a cemetary, bison tube in a cedar, nano on a sign, etc. If you CAN'T figure out what the cache is like by the info you are given, and you would rather not hunt for certain types of caches.....DON'T DO THOSE!!!

Simple.

There's several hundred more around you, within a reasonable distance which can be substituted for that one.

gc.com has gone forth and back about caches simulating electrical equipment. I happen to agree with the initial premise - don't do it.

Yes people drive cars, scale down a cliffs, climb trees and hopefully they know their limitations. How do you teach someone that it's okay to access an electrical box?

Exactly how much common sense makes you an electrician.

My common sense says don't unscrew with anything that could kill me by touching it. Do the less sensible people a favor by not asking them to know better.

To use your own arguments, how much common sense does it take to drive a car, or rappel a cliff? About as much as it takes to get a driver's license or become a rock climber.

Then those are the very types of caches you DON'T need to look for, if you have personal concerns over certain types.

I think you misunderstand what this thread is about. That's two posts where you started talking about people complaining of hides they don't like. That isn't being discussed in this thread.

Then those are the very types of caches you DON'T need to look for, if you have personal concerns over certain types.

I think you misunderstand what this thread is about. That's two posts where you started talking about people complaining of hides they don't like. That isn't being discussed in this thread.

Huh??

So you don't mind these types of hides then, which is a contradiction of why you started this thread in the first place.

"Geocaches that or disguised as or on electrical equipment should not be allowed."

You don't have to start insulting people, mildly insinuating that they listen to your requests about as much as a doorknob. We know EXACTLY what you first posted about....a type of hide that you don't personally think should be allowed, i.e. you don't like it for personal reasons.

And we have listed multiple reasons why the type of hide in question....or ANY type of hide for that matter, within reason of course.....SHOULDN'T have any further rstrictions placed on them than already is.

And we've listed multiple methods that can already be used, with the information already in place & available to potential finders, which will easily keep them from having to find those types of hides which they don't personally agree with.

So what were you saying about a doorknob now?? :P:P

:P :P I had a "flat stick-on mag" cache that was made to look like a simple set of "serial numbers", with a small log taped to the back. This cache was stuck on a LARGE telephone sub-panel. The cache page instructed folks that it was outside and that NO doors had to be opened. Man, folks had a heck of a time finding the cache, it wa evil :P

Well, a utility-worker e-mailed me (thru geocaching.com) to give me a friendly warning! Seems they are to notify "Homeland Security" DIRECTLY anytime they see anyone around any communication or power equipment. Seem fines are high, etc, etc.

Needless to say the cache was archived & removed. Just a warning! Things are touchy since 9/11.

Seems that the utility worker was ill informed. A person cannot be fined merely for being 'around' communication or power equipment.

We're talking about hides you don't like....

I might as well go and talk to a doorknob.

You could give it a shot, but the doorknob is unlikely to agree with you, either.

The bottom line is this:

If you a looking for a cache and find yourself in a situation that you believe to be unnecessarily dangerous, remove yourself from that dangerous situation. Similarly, if you find yourself not enjoying the search for a cache, go do something else.

Contrary to what you posted in the OP, no one is forcing you to find any geocache.

Edited by sbell111

Geocaches that or disguised as or on electrical equipment should not be allowed. We should not have to search around utility meters or be prying behind fake electrical components. Anyone who know anything about electricity can vouch for how dangerous it is.

Did you come to this conclusion before or after you hid yours?

This just reminded me of thomething the other day that happened. We went to go find a cache on an electircal unit and there was something that looked out of place. It was a black know with a key ring attached. I didn't see any sign by it, and it seemed like it could just be a clever cache... So I pulled it. And then made a loud yelp and ran away. It made a horrible, loud hissing sound and shot out air in my face. I have no idea what it was but apparently it was not the cache. It ended up being a magnet at the bottom.

I think I'll be more cautious of the electrical caches from now on, as you should be too.

If it doesn't look sane and safe. Walk away.

This just reminded me of thomething the other day that happened. We went to go find a cache on an electircal unit and there was something that looked out of place. It was a black know with a key ring attached. I didn't see any sign by it, and it seemed like it could just be a clever cache... So I pulled it. And then made a loud yelp and ran away. It made a horrible, loud hissing sound and shot out air in my face. I have no idea what it was but apparently it was not the cache. It ended up being a magnet at the bottom.

I think I'll be more cautious of the electrical caches from now on, as you should be too.

If it doesn't look sane and safe. Walk away.

We call them "blowholes". There's some real scientific name for them...."Over-Pressure Relief Valves" or something like that. But that scientific stuff is over-the-head of some of us electricians.....so they are just "blowholes". All you did was equalize the pressure between the outside & the inside of the structure. If the "electrical unit" was what I'm thinking it was, you could have went back 15 minutes later, done the same thing, with the same exact results.

They are designe to operate under pressure....but not TOO much, thus the valve, which will blow off automatically sometimes. If you release it, it'll just build back up to operating pressure in a few minutes. They work real well on a cold day when your hands are freezing. If you play with them for a while,you can figure out just the point where you can pull them so they s-l-o-w-l-y let out the warm air, without popping. :):D (Maybe I should have left that last part out. :mad:B) )

Edited by astrodav

So what were you saying about a doorknob now?? :mad:B)

It keeps getting brought up about me not liking these hides which is why I suggested it. This isn't the case at all which I have stated over and over.

Contrary to what you posted in the OP, no one is forcing you to find any geocache.

Again, that is not what I said. Of course no one is forcing you but you can't skip it (if you choose) unless you know it is that type of hide. That isn't going to happen.

Geocaches that or disguised as or on electrical equipment should not be allowed. We should not have to search around utility meters or be prying behind fake electrical components. Anyone who know anything about electricity can vouch for how dangerous it is.

I never hid one like this. I thought about it but decided it was unwise.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

Sadly my belief is that there can never be enough geocachers who share these same concerns to make a difference.

As this game continues to grow in popularity amongst the masses, this issue will only get worse. In my view it is something akin to a 'gang' mentality. Not that exactly, just similar.

'Clique' mentality perhaps?

I never hid one like this. I thought about it but decided it was unwise.

From the CCC thread.

It is an enclosure box. Any electric supply house will have a selection of sizes.

Yep. Be prepared, they are not cheap. Rip out the innards and you probably should fill the holes so the amount of water that gets inside will be minimal. I have one of these out there. It has a plastic cereal box inside which holds maps and bug spray for a multi. It is marked with the GC ID. I used JB weld and pennies cents to seal the holes. (Washers too)

From the CCC thread.

It is an enclosure box. Any electric supply house will have a selection of sizes.

Yep. Be prepared, they are not cheap. Rip out the innards and you probably should fill the holes so the amount of water that gets inside will be minimal. I have one of these out there. It has a plastic cereal box inside which holds maps and bug spray for a multi. It is marked with the GC ID. I used JB weld and pennies cents to seal the holes. (Washers too)

Yes, I used an electrical box. It doesn't look like an electrical box. It is just an outdoor utility box. There are no wires anywhere around it. It looks more like a key box. I don't have a hide disguised as or hidden by electrical equipment..

Edited by Knight2000

We're talking about hides you don't like....

I might as well go and talk to a doorknob.

I think I'm gonna require a public apology for this crack.

Why? It seems some people are hearing what they want to hear and not what I am saying.

And this somehow makes it ok for you to call people names?

From the CCC thread.

Yes, I used an electrical box. It doesn't look like an electrical box. It is just an outdoor utility box. There are no wires anywhere around it. It looks more like a key box. I don't have a hide disguised as or hidden by electrical equipment..

I'm sorry but I call it like I see it. What part of "disguised as or on electrical equipment" excludes your electrical box?