I already found this cache, but I forgot to log my find

Have you ever RE-found a geocache because you forgot to log your find?

We have RE-found many geocaches. Somehow we miss logging our find, and the cache gets back on our list of caches to find. As we arrive at the cache site, we all say "Hey.... we already found this one.....it's right over there".

Does this happen to you?

We have RE-found many geocaches. Somehow we miss logging our find, and the cache gets back on our list of caches to find. As we arrive at the cache site, we all say "Hey.... we already found this one.....it's right over there".

Does this happen to you?

No. I'm organized.

When my wife geocaches she doesn't log hers so I'm sure this will happen for our team name sometime.

No, its not happened to me. I'm kind of anal about logging stuff right away. I can get home at the end of a long caching day and that darn computer nags me until I log them promptly. Maybe someday I will get so many mindless caches that they aren't memorable and I will forget some.

Maybe you're just getting older. Of course you did remember that you were already there. Weird.

I don't think I've ever forgotten to log a cache completely BUT, I did something just as silly! Found a cache, came home, logged it (or so I thought). 4 months later I'm back at the same cache cause it's in my unfound caches.

Finally figured out that I had logged III instead of IV in the series of caches. The one that I had logged I hadn't found yet so I made another trip to actually find the one I had logged way back when! They were less than a mile apart, both were LPC's.

Thought about fixing the logs but decided that it would only confuse everyone including me so I left it alone...!

Does this happen to you?

I believe this may be a drawback to the high volume caching lifestyle. I have never experienced this particular challenge. ;)

Sometimes my better half accompanies me when caching. When she does, she does the "paperwork" on the PDA. And, sometimes "forgets". So, recently, I went to a cache and thought it was familiar but having seen dozens of this particular type hide (no, it wasn't a LPC), looked anyway. Upon opening the log, there was my signature several months earlier. Had to go backdate the cache page with the original find date. That messed up the subsequent milestones!!!!

So, yes, I've done it.

Have you ever RE-found a geocache

Yes, a few times when out caching with others.

because you forgot to log your find?

err.. no. I don't think I've ever not logged a find. There might be one or two, out there I forgot to log, but I'd give it a low probability. Geocache-Nav is quite useful in this regard, assuming I have cell signal.

I believe this may be a drawback to the high volume caching lifestyle.

Not real high volume here....less then a cache a day over the last two years, but I do this perty regular.

I do try to log the local stuff, so I don't hunt it twice.

An ammo can in the woods approached from the trail looks like one thing, and from a long meandering bushwhack, like something else. I check for my signature. Heck I've even done it on a cache where I was first to find. I've done it with a buddy, and it turned out we'd BOTH found it before, and yet we both had it in our PQs and neither of us recalled it. Ammo can, UPS, big oak. Nice cache in a nice section of the forest, but clearly not all that memorable....although I guess that's a function of memory, perhaps, more than of the cache itself ;)

I occasionally cache with a guy with several multiples more finds than I. He remembers each one of them... in detail. I find this staggering.

Does this happen to you?

Yes, This has happened to me. It must be something in the water, I'm in Port Hueneme. We cache in the same neck of the woods ;)

Does this happen to you?

I believe this may be a drawback to the high volume caching lifestyle. I have never experienced this particular challenge. ;)

I'm not what you would call a high volume cacher. A dozen caches in a day would be an extremely busy day for me. And I have gone after a cache and not realized I had already found it until I got there.

Sometimes my better half accompanies me when caching. When she does, she does the "paperwork" on the PDA. And, sometimes "forgets". So, recently, I went to a cache and thought it was familiar but having seen dozens of this particular type hide (no, it wasn't a LPC), looked anyway. Upon opening the log, there was my signature several months earlier. Had to go backdate the cache page with the original find date. That messed up the subsequent milestones!!!!

So, yes, I've done it.

;) I use the same method....I've tried to blame the Paperwork, but it doesn't seem to work out.

So now, I throw out the paper list after we are done logging...just in case it IS my fault.

There is an advantage to logging live as you find them. This Re-finding probably doesn't happen to those lucky cachers.

Sometimes we drive around caching from state to state, and use a different color pen for each day. When we get home, it takes me a week or so of logging to get them all logged. Our gsak printout gets to be a big scribbly mess.

Now that I tend to get horribly behind on logging, it is bound to happen.

I also revisited one a couple of years ago with friends and things were not filtered for my finds. It was not in my normal caching area and I had found the cache in 2002 when it was pretty much the only cache in that area and I was traveling through. As we started walking toward it I suddenly got a sense of deja vu and then realized where we were going. That was kind of fun, especially since it is also a pretty neat cache.

Does this happen to you?

In order to find a cache twice one must first find it once, so ... no, it has never happened to me.

(I KNEW there would someday be an advantage to all my DNFs!)

Yep.

Every once-in-a-while I get to a cache site and say to myself, "Haven't we been here before? (I always refer to myself in the plural when asking myself a question.) Isn't the cache hidden right over there?" Then I feel lucky that we get to log that cache as found.

My old gpsr used to drop caches marked as found and I occasionally forgot to log some. If I was with friends I could rely on their logs to doublecheck things. But sometimes it was hard to remember one lamp post hide from another, particularly on a day when there were a lot of caches to log. Sometimes they got lost in a list of GC codes. Sometimes I was traveling and could not log right away. Now that I can upload field notes there is less excuse to forget either a find or dnf. Of course it is still hard to come up with something original to say about a cache that I can't remember much about.

Hasn't happened to me, but I was looking at the google map near my home and noticed a very nearby cache I hadn't found yet. When I pulled up the page I realized I had found it the week before. Makes me wonder if I haven't forgotten to log a few. I typically use field notes and then log from those, but this was one I found when I was out and about and didn't bother using field notes as it was a one-off.