Question about maps for the 60CSx

Reno8

Newbie here:

I have a question; I bought the 60CSx and the base maps on it suck. I purchased the City Navigator North America NT map and the Topo map for the eastern United States. The City Navigator is 1.1 gigs and the topo map is about 500MB. I have a 2 gig card so both should fit but it seems like one is writing over the other after I download them both. They both don't appear on the menu page only the last one I downloaded. Is there a way to have both maps on the GPS at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Took me a while to figure this one out too... Here's what you need to do:

Connect your 60CSx to your computer.

Open MapSource.

Click on the dropdown menu at the top left.

Select the City Navigator maps you want to install to your memory card.

Go BACK to the dropdown menu.

Select the TOPO maps you want to install to your memory card.

Now transfer... The whole shebang (City Nav and your TOPO's) will both be on your memory card.

Easy when you know how. ;)

Thanks for responding!

Please bear with me; LOL! Newbie here

When you say Mapsource do you mean on the Garmin website? If I go to "my maps" on the Garmin website and then try to redownload the maps again the way you told me too it won't let me go back to the dropdown menu. I select "download again" on the City Nav then it sets that up but it won't let me go back and select the Topo map it just keeps refreshing the same page.

Do you know what I mean? I don't think I'm explaning it correctly. How do I know if my product has the mapsource software on it? I haven't downloaded that software from the website yet. Should I?

Thanks for your patience

Edited by Reno8
Please bear with me; LOL! Newbie here...
No problem.

Okay, I was assuming you had the DVD's for City Navigator as well as the TOPO maps for your area, and that you had already installed them on your PC. If you don't have those maps installed, and MapSource as well, you'll need to do that before anything else.

So... Do you NOT have any map DVD's then? Are you trying to buy them from Garmin online and download them or what?

Once the software (the map packages) is installed to your computer, THEN you will then be able to choose what maps you want to put on your memory card, but not before.

Please bear with me; LOL! Newbie here...
No problem.

Okay, I was assuming you had the DVD's for City Navigator as well as the TOPO maps for your area, and that you had already installed them on your PC. If you don't have those maps installed, and MapSource as well, you'll need to do that before anything else.

So... Do you NOT have any map DVD's then? Are you trying to buy them from Garmin online and download them or what?

Once the software (the map packages) is installed to your computer, THEN you will then be able to choose what maps you want to put on your memory card, but not before.

AH! Yea, I don't have a DVD drive on my PC so I guess that's the problem. I thought I could download them onto a memory card that could hold both maps but I was wrong. That's the way it should be though.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO RESPONDED! YOUR TIME IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

AH! Yea, I don't have a DVD drive on my PC so I guess that's the problem. I thought I could download them onto a memory card that could hold both maps but I was wrong. That's the way it should be though.
Well you CAN download the MapSource software from the Garmin website, as well as the maps products (City Nav and TOPO maps). Save all the files to your Desktop or your My Documents folder.

Then, install MapSource, and then your map downloads (in that order).

Once everything is installed, use MapSource to access the maps and too transfer them to the memory card in your GPS unit.

THAT'S how it works. ;)

Well you CAN download the MapSource software from the Garmin website, as well as the maps products (City Nav and TOPO maps). Save all the files to your Desktop or your My Documents folder.

Then, install MapSource, and then your map downloads (in that order).

Once everything is installed, use MapSource to access the maps and too transfer them to the memory card in your GPS unit.

THAT'S how it works. ;)

I am not so sure about that. I called Garmin yesterday to ask about upgrading my mapping software. I asked about the downloads from the site vs dvd, which I currently have, and this is what I was told by the Garmin rep.

"if you purchase the download version of the software, it must be downloaded directly to an SD card. It cannot be saved onto your computer and it cannot be integrated into mapsource. If you want these features, than you must purchase the DVD's for the maps."

I replied, "That's kinda dumb. I thought that one would be able to download the maps to my computer and save the download onto a DVD for later use."

The Rep replied, "I agree, that's why I recommend that you purchase the DVD so that you will always have a backup and it will merge with your other software."

If possible, see if you can change your purchase to a DVD. I believe most places will allow this as long as you are still making the purchase from them and they can monitor the sale and cancellation. Just give them a call and ask.

Good luck.

Took me a while to figure this one out too... Here's what you need to do:

Connect your 60CSx to your computer.

Open MapSource.

Click on the dropdown menu at the top left.

Select the City Navigator maps you want to install to your memory card.

Go BACK to the dropdown menu.

Select the TOPO maps you want to install to your memory card.

Now transfer... The whole shebang (City Nav and your TOPO's) will both be on your memory card.

Easy when you know how. :lol:

Forgive me I'f I'm hijacking a thread.

I too am trying to get City Navigator onto my GPS unit

I have a DVD. I have it put it in my computer.

I have unlocked it and retrived the unlock code. This is where I get stuck. The page at Garmin website just tells me it is unlocked. That's it. No further help or hints.

I have Mapsource. I can see what I *think* is City Navigator. It might not be. It just appears what I start Mapsource.

I tried following the instructions above, but got stuck on "Click on the dropdown menu at the top left.

Select the City Navigator maps you want to install to your memory card."

Do you mean the file menu?

I don't think I have the maps actually on my computer. It did a lot of installing when I put in the DVD, but it didn't tell me what it was doing.

I'm a professional cartographer and web developer (two university qualifications), and I'm stumped. I do this sort of stuff all day every day. But I've just got a new gps, and suddenly I feel like a newbie again. It is such a humbling experience.

Somebody please help me, I am ready to cry.

I have: a City Navigator DVD, a Garmin 60csx, a computer with DVD drive, card slot, and internet access.

Thanks in advance.

Crafty Turtle, first of all, take a few deep breaths, chill out, and I'll try and help you as best I can. I too have a degree, although not in a cartography related field (conservation biology) but, I did take a few GIS courses in school, and this garmin stuff gave me some headaches as well. We've got the same exact setup so there should be parallels (or at least one would think)

First I'll have you check and see if city nav is installed. When you start up mapsource, under the main menu, file, edit, ect. there should be a drop down box. When you click the arrow, you should get a list of all of the map products installed that mapsource recognizes. If it's there, we're on to step two. You could post back, or if the mods desire, I could help you step by step either by PM or e-mail.

edit to add: in the dropdown box you should see "City Navigator North America"

Edited by DeadHead82

Thanks DeadHead82, I'm a bit calmer now - I've been out for a walk. :lol:

Okay, I have MapSource (version 6.15.6) open, and underneath the toolbar, I have a row of icons (tools) then there is a left panel with tabs and such, and the right panel is the map. I don't know where the map is coming from. ...maybe the internet. It is the same map that was there when I installed MapSource.

So I'm thinking I don't have it installed. ...even though I followed the instructions from the CD.

I really appreciate you helping me.

Oh wow, JDiablo, that website is most helpful. I have now progressed to the point where I can select the 3 areas I want (why do I have to live on a mapsheet border?)

But now I see I need to have a memory card. I will go ahead now and buy one / order one online, then I will continue with the instructions.

sigh.

Thank you enormously for your help. I'd still be a blubbering floundering mess otherwise.

:lol:

Does this mean I am going to have to purchase "new" unlock codes???? :lol:

No, I don't think so, but don't get your hopes up, I'm not completely certain. However, I remember reading somwhere (either mapsource manual or the net) that you can retrieve your unlocks should anything like what you've outlined occurs. Hook up your device to the computer and click on the utilities menu, then click on manage map products. Select the product you want from the list and click "unlock online." Ensure that the garmin communicator program is installed and click find device. Enter your device's serial number in the prompt and click retrieve unlocks. This process should restore your unlocks to mapsource without issue, altough garmin is known for issues to be forewarned!

Oh, I looked it up, the info above does come from the mapsource manual, not just rumors on the interweb, so if you can't get your maps re-unlocked this way, you'll have to put in a call or e-mail to garmin's tech support to get it sorted. It's worth a shot first though. If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask away!

All the best!

Oh wow, JDiablo, that website is most helpful. I have now progressed to the point where I can select the 3 areas I want (why do I have to live on a mapsheet border?)

But now I see I need to have a memory card. I will go ahead now and buy one / order one online, then I will continue with the instructions.

sigh.

Thank you enormously for your help. I'd still be a blubbering floundering mess otherwise.

:)

YW :lol: Right, you need a memorycard for your 60CSx to hold the maps, but it's also useful for having daily tracks automatically stored to. Will also hold custom POI's. Well worth the couple of bucks. Enjoy.

You need to START with the DVD. Have a friend copy it to a USB thumb drive. You can get a cheap 1GB drive for a few bucks. You should be able to install from that.

You can just buy the maps already on a read-only card, but there are a lot of downsides to doing that.

Or if you know someone with an external dvd drive you could use that to install the program and transfer the map files to the unit, it's certainly a good program for marking your waypoints and locations, and at some point you might have to add more map files for another location.

The downside to buying the read only cards is that you can't back them up or copy them so if you lose or damage them you're out of luck.

Hope this helps, Roger

YIPPEE!!!!!

I have maps on my Garmin!

HOORAY!!!!!!!

I bought a microSD card this morning from a local office supplies store, for $6.45c.

Now it all works!

It all seems so simple now, but I couldn't have done it without your help.

Thanks again. Now I have some geocaching to do....

Happy Trails.

Crafty Turtle

Yes, some of the new downloadable versions of Garmin's maps can only be installed directly to the SD card and cannot be viewed on a computer.

Check out the "Requirements" tab on the product page and it will indicate this.

Amen, I got burned by this. I bought both City Navigator and the 100K topos for my 60csx a few months ago, and selected the downloadable version. Oooops... they both download directly to the SD card, not to a PC-based file. I talked to customer support, he had an idea about how I might "fool" and SD card into holding both through some crafty file renaming but it didn't work.

Am I correct in understanding (and I think I am) that if you order the download-to-SD version of maps, then they must each reside on their own SD card, and you can't use MapSource to merge both map files onto one SD? What I have seen elsewhere, plus the Garmin technician, led me to believe this is the case.

Just an FYI, I got the 100K topos for better coverage, but in most areas, the contour interval and lack of detail make them nearly useless. But I won't spring for the 24K map until I find a way to have it on the GPSr at the same time as City Navigator.

I have Mapsource. I can see what I *think* is City Navigator. It might not be. It just appears what I start Mapsource.

I tried following the instructions above, but got stuck on "Click on the dropdown menu at the top left.

Select the City Navigator maps you want to install to your memory card."

Do you mean the file menu?

I don't think I have the maps actually on my computer. It did a lot of installing when I put in the DVD, but it didn't tell me what it was doing.

You will not see the "drop-down" list unless you have multiple map products installed. If you zoom in and can see roads, you have at least one map loaded. You can press Ctrl-U when MapSource is running to see your installed map products list.