Cache ettiquette....

dammarell8

My kids and I have just started geocaching and they want to hide a cache this weekend geared towards beginners/kids. The cache will be a fairly easy find (say a 1.5/1.5) and the swag is geared towards kids.

Is it acceptable to leave in the post that this one is geared towards the kiddos although anyone is welcome to find and take/trade items? I just don't want someone to be disappointed with a cache full of playdough and hotwheel cars ;)

Thanks in advance

dammarell8

It sounds good to me.

Just one word of caution... Playdough, although not technically a foodstuff (try telling that to 3 year-olds), is slightly scented and it's best not to put such items into a cache. It could attract animals that will try and root the cache out of its hidey hole and gnaw it to get at the yummy stuff inside. (Similarly, scented candles are not good swag.)

Have fun working on your cache placement.

MrsB ;)

Sounds good to me, I have been to several caches that were geared more toward kids, but then aren't we all just big kids.

I just joined a couple of days ago and am really excited to start hunting. I have 2 girls 9 and 6 and I was wondering if there is a way to know which hikes/caches are geared for kids? Also, any advice for a first hike?

Thanks

Sounds good to me, I have been to several caches that were geared more toward kids, but then aren't we all just big kids.

I just joined a couple of days ago and am really excited to start hunting. I have 2 girls 9 and 6 and I was wondering if there is a way to know which hikes/caches are geared for kids? Also, any advice for a first hike?

Thanks

Most all caches, aside from micros and nanos will have something (SWAG) geared for kids. It is just inevitable that this material will get in there. Foremost, I think that your kids will more enjoy the actual find, too, they will really be disappointed with any DNF. The entire geocaching experience is a learning curve, with undefined "graduation points" regardless of a person's age. ;)

Thanks for the reminder that to some animals (and toddlers) playdough can be considered food ;)

Swapping out playdough for paddle balls, marbles and other things my kids picked out at the Dollar Store. On the suggestion of Crafty Turtle, there is enough for several families to find and swap.

Getting ready to go and hide the cache this afternoon in the Corinth, TX area. Be on the lookout for the new posting.

The funniest part of this is how excited the kiddos get over some of that stuff. Our first find had one of those cheap party favor plastic frog clicker things in it, and my 6 year old was THRILLED to grab it. When the wife and i reminded him that he still had half a dozen of those left over from his bday party two weeks prior, he didn't care even a little bit, because it was the treasure that HE found. Later in the day, he found a Spongebob Happy meal kind of thing. Elated, again.

It's just awesome to see Thing One and Thing Twos excitement over things we wouldnt look twice at.