Why do you open them?

StarBrand

In a few recent threads, several posters have stated that the police (aka bomb squad) should not take the time to check the Geocaching Website or check with established local cachers to at least explore the possibility that a "device" is actually a Geocache. Instead the postion taken is that the police should blow it up first and ask questions later. Several posters stated they are glad the police work in this fashion.

So --- it got me to thinking. If we expect the polioce to take these incidents seriously and not explore the possiblility (even for 15 minutes (my suggested time limit)) that the box is a geocache. And several other noted that a published geocache location might be converted to a bomb. And given that the public as a whole is encouraged to report such things. And given that some posters actually see this as a distinct possiblity.

Why do any of us go out and open the durned things up ourselves?? We do it all the time, we bring our friends and family with us. We encourage others to take up the activity.

I do it because I see the coordinates and the map online and read a description and some logs. I recognize some as friends I have met while caching. That sets up enough trust for me to go to that exact spot and open it up. I know most of us would feel perfectly comfortable taking our dearest loved ones out to do that with us. Yet somehow - at least a few of us - cannot and will not trust the police force to do the same when an incident is called in.

So I must ask - why is that?

Well, since I'm one of the people you're at 'issue' with (:lol:) let me say that my comments in that thread were in the context of that particular situation, given the description of that particular location and the situation with the cachers (in the cop's eyes) fleeing the scene.

I don't think the police should blow up a clearly marked cache just because stumble onto an ammo can in the woods, in a location with no history of domestic terrorism, not near a school, not near a church, etc.

But you find a heavy, waterproof, metal container used to store ammunition in a location with a history of domestic terrorism, where two skitzy looking guys are 'fleeing' upon the approach of a cop - yeah, you blow it up.

Indeed there is a big trust factor that comes into play, when it comes to geocaching.

First is that the hider of the cache has given you the best info possible so you can determine if it is a cache that will place you in a situation that you have to be on your guard, so to speak, and is a cache that you will hunt with the proper difficulty/terrain ratings.

And then there is the unknown factor of has anybody tampered with the cache at anytime.

So far so good in that respect. I shutter at the thought if the inevitable were to happen. :lol:

Why do any of us go out and open the durned things up ourselves??
I do it because I refuse to live in fear of such things.

In my opinion, if I get blown to smithereens, opening a geocache for crying out loud, it's because the Universe has decided my time is up.

/We all gotta go sometime.

Indeed there is a big trust factor that comes into play, when it comes to geocaching.

First is that the hider of the cache has given you the best info possible so you can determine if it is a cache that will place you in a situation that you have to be on your guard, so to speak, and is a cache that you will hunt with the proper difficulty/terrain ratings.

And then there is the unknown factor of has anybody tampered with the cache at anytime.

So far so good in that respect. I shutter at the thought if the inevitable were to happen. :anibad:

That right there is the geocaching tree of angst in a nutshell. ;)

I'm guessing poor choice of words on that last bit: inevitable = incapable of being avoided or evaded. :D:D

If it wasn't a poor choice of words Jeremy may need to sell his stock in this outfit while he still has enough to retire on. :):lol: To quote a recent poorly over acted episode of Law & Order SVU: "Geocachers aren't killers!" :lol:

I do it because I refuse to live in fear of such things

I like that :lol:

I pity the person who plants a device that hurts or kills either me or my son while caching, because as my wife is so fond of reminding me when I irritate her, I taught her how to shoot. :):lol:

She would track that idiot down and empty about a case of bullets into him.

But seriously, IF and it's a BIG if; if this happens in the geocaching context the person will be easily caught and I doubt there will be a wave of copycat crimes after. You can take that to the bank. It will be isolated and over very quickly. :D

It would seriously SUCK to be the guy that draws the short straw though. :anibad:

So far so good in that respect. I shutter at the thought if the inevitable were to happen. :anibad:

That right there is the geocaching tree of angst in a nutshell. :P

I'm guessing poor choice of words on that last bit: inevitable = incapable of being avoided or evaded. ;):D

If it wasn't a poor choice of words Jeremy may need to sell his stock in this outfit while he still has enough to retire on. :):lol: To quote a recent poorly over acted episode of Law & Order SVU: "Geocachers aren't killers!" :lol:

I don't know where you are going with the "Tree of Angst" comment. :D

I suspect the "Angst" would be more incorporated into forums as opposed to the act of geocaching.

I did indeed struggle with how I phrased the last part of my comment, especially after I posted. And yes I did read and re-read my comment prior to hitting the "Add Reply".

But then again StarBrand asked, "Why do we open them up?" I take that as given the state of affairs that he mentions with public security in question.

Let me ask you the question. Would it surprise you if at some point in time it does happen?

For my answer to that question is yes it would surprise me.

Words can not describe how much this chaps my butt! I find a new pastime as an older guy that I'm learning to enjoy. Now I have to think about security!

My wife loves to cook, garden, and take care of her animals. But NO, I have to take time out to show her how to kill people! We are now "forced" to both carry concealed weapons on the rare occasions when we travel to populated areas. I really need to shut up now lest I incur the wrath of someone for getting too political............again! :lol::)

In my opinion, if I get blown to smithereens, opening a geocache for crying out loud, it's because the Universe has decided my time is up.

I think that hits the nail on the head right there! I refuse to give in to the belief that the Boogie Man lives around every corner.

I will live my life to the fullest that is possible using a little common sense (which doesn't appear to be standard issue anymore btw) and deal with the "What if..." when it actually occurs.

Edited by ace862

Words can not describe how much this chaps my butt! I find a new pastime as an older guy that I'm learning to enjoy. Now I have to think about security!

My wife loves to cook, garden, and take care of her animals. But NO, I have to take time out to show her how to kill people! We are now "forced" to both carry concealed weapons on the rare occasions when we travel to populated areas. I really need to shut up now lest I incur the wrath of someone for getting too political............again! :lol::)

Your comment reminded me of what happened to some people who were out 4 wheeling. It does indeed help to tie my earlier comments together.

While on a recent 4 wheeling trip, we came across a scene where the local Sheriff Department had a person on the ground in handcuffs. This was in a very wide open area.

We had just exited a trail and came upon 2 other rigs which had strange damage on them. Both were occupied by 4 people each. The occupants explained that they had been attacked by the person that the Sheriffs had subdued. They were only passing by when he had wielded a large tool to hit their rigs.

My point is that there are some strange people out there and do things with no regard for others.

Let me ask you the question. Would it surprise you if at some point in time it does happen?
I'm getting to the age where very little surprises me any more. A geocache-turned-bomb would not surprise me, it would sadden me. I would, I'm quite sure however, manage to continue enjoying the hobby in much the same way that I somehow manage to get in my car and drive from Point A to Point B without worrying about drunk drivers, road rage, catastrophic engine failure, tire blow-outs or the pain and itch of a temporary hemorrhoidal flare-up.

I refuse to give in to the belief that the Boogie Man lives around every corner.
THIS.

My point is that there are some strange people out there and do things with no regard for others.
Of course there are. Doesn't keep me from getting outta bed in the morning though. I guess I just foolishly wander through Life feeling pretty prepared, generally speaking, for whatever the world is going to throw at me. Jeebus sometimes I look back and wonder how I made it this far. Thanks to Uncle Sam I've been shot at and blown up; I've been snake bit, spider bit and once, there was this one woman... (sighs fondly). I've been lost, punched, kicked (by horses, men, women and children), hit by a car and I've occasionally been poked by sharp objects. So yeah, if a poppin' a cache is gonna be what finally punches my ticket, <laugh> well so be it. At least I'll have been doing something I enjoy. Frankly, I've got headier things to concern myself with.
I do it because I refuse to live in fear of such things

Pretty much it...

I'm getting to the age where very little surprises me any more. A geocache-turned-bomb would not surprise me, it would sadden me. I would, I'm quite sure however, manage to continue enjoying the hobby in much the same way that I somehow manage to get in my car and drive from Point A to Point B without worrying about drunk drivers, road rage, catastrophic engine failure, tire blow-outs or the pain and itch of a temporary hemorrhoidal flare-up.

I refuse to give in to the belief that the Boogie Man lives around every corner.
THIS.

Of course there are. Doesn't keep me from getting outta bed in the morning though. I guess I just foolishly wander through Life feeling pretty prepared, generally speaking, for whatever the world is going to throw at me. Jeebus sometimes I look back and wonder how I made it this far. Thanks to Uncle Sam I've been shot at and blown up; I've been snake bit, spider bit and once, there was this one woman... (sighs fondly). I've been lost, punched, kicked (by horses, men, women and children), hit by a car and I've occasionally been poked by sharp objects. So yeah, if a poppin' a cache is gonna be what finally punches my ticket, <laugh> well so be it. At least I'll have been doing something I enjoy. Frankly, I've got headier things to concern myself with.

They are looking for a bomb.

Technically, the initial responder is usually looking for a reported suspicious object.

Once he/she locates it, they make a decision based upon their training, experience and department policy.

If that decision is along the lines of, "Yup, that looks pretty darn suspicious to me", the incident goes up the food chain.

By the time the EOD guys show up, the object's location is usually well known. No need to find it.

They just gotta show up and render it safe.

(EOD speak for blow it up) ;)

In my 20+ years in law enforcement, I've responded to a gazillion suspicious objects. Only one went up the food chain.

For my answer to that question is yes it would surprise me. [/b]

Let me first answer your question with a quote:

there are a lot of foolish people in the world and as Geocaching grows in popularity you will find more and more of them hunting for caches.

My personal answer to that question right now is a most thankful YES! I would be VERRRRY surprised! :o

BUT;

As we march closer and closer to the Mainstream Event Horizon that surprise will diminish and Dan's quote sums that sentiment up for ME nicely.

I don't know where you are going with the "Tree of Angst" comment. :)

I suspect the "Angst" would be more incorporated into forums as opposed to the act of geocaching.

The tree of angst covers both the forums and the actual activity if you read it carefully.

What I was doing was pointing out what you said about trust and connecting it to my observation that ALL geo-angst seems to grow outward from some perceive breach of trust whether real or imagined. ;)

I tend to be more wordy and I recognize brevity for the things I try to convey with more words than are sometimes necessary. That's where I made the connection. :)

Edited by Snoogans
Why do any of us go out and open the durned things up ourselves?? We do it all the time, we bring our friends and family with us. We encourage others to take up the activity.

I do it because I see the coordinates and the map online and read a description and some logs. I recognize some as friends I have met while caching. That sets up enough trust for me to go to that exact spot and open it up.

Same here, but that doesn’t eliminate the theoretical risk -- it only reduces it. There is always the possibility that some wacko made a booby trap out of the container since the most recently logged find.

There will always be a few mental sickos out there, and opening any given Geocache can hypothetically be a fatal experience at any time.

But of course the same goes for any mailbox, any newspaper rack, or any item sitting on any store shelf, etc, etc.

Life is risk. Merely getting out of bed each day entails risk. Some of the risks are fatal. Staying in bed involves different risks. Some of them are fatal as well. Most risks are of the accidental type, but a few are maliciously-intended. One must always use one’s common sense, of course, but beyond that I don’t let remote fears guide my decisions. I refuse to allow terrorists and other idiots to rob me of my life.

My wife loves to cook, garden, and take care of her animals. But NO, I have to take time out to show her how to kill people! We are now "forced" to both carry concealed weapons on the rare occasions when we travel to populated areas. I really need to shut up now lest I incur the wrath of someone for getting too political............again! ;):)

You are not alone, do not despair, as I am getting ready to go on one of my rare trips into the city this morning I find myself slipping my .40 S&W into my geocaching bag that I always take with me. it is simply one of the tools I carry.

Yeah, I'll go with this one, too.

I am not a big urban cacher. Most caches I seek are not in town or near populated areas. I'm much more likely to get bitten by a snake than blown up by a cache.

I can't see a bomber going to the trouble to hike back into the woods, away from civilization, to place his device in a spot that may go months before anyone visits it. And when it does get a visit, probably from only one or two folks at a time.

As for the 'we all gotta go sometime' part, I have a favorite quote from an old sitcom I like to watch.

"When I go is up to him. Where I go is up to me!"

If my time comes at an ammo can in the woods, at least it's a place of my own choosing and where I am doing something I love. ;)

I think it's ridiculous to fear a listed geocache, and I think a booby-trapped one is extremely unlikely. But I approve of the "destroy first, ask questions later" approach. You're only imagining the case where the "device" is a geocache. If it's an actual bomb, then the police might be wasting precious minutes checking the website. By and large, this thread is misrepresenting this stance (I know a few have actually expressed concern over a bomb swap).

Edited by Dinoprophet

Because I like to live on the edge, man....

Like that last one of yours that I found in SD? Yeah, that one. Total rush, man, opening that lock'n'lock. Nearly wet myself.

;)

Edited by Jeep_Dog

I think it's ridiculous to fear a listed geocache, and I think a booby-trapped one is extremely unlikely. But I approve of the "destroy first, ask questions later" approach. You're only imagining the case where the "device" is a geocache. If it's an actual bomb, then the police might be wasting precious minutes checking the website. By and large, this thread is misrepresenting this stance (I know a few have actually expressed concern over a bomb swap).

Its not like they jump off the still slowing truck 2 minutes after the call came in with a water cannon in hand and blast the object instantly. And what if it is indeed a listed Geocache?? While the guys drive to the scene and get setup - somebody back at HQ could get on the website and check it out. Give it a thought. Be open to the possibility. Thats all I ask. If it stands a more than reasonable chance of being a known Geocache listed on the site with previous finders - it might make a lot of difference during that first 15 minutes after the call comes in. Is that too much to ask for? (APPARENTLY)

Because I like to live on the edge, man....

Like that last one of yours that I found in SD? Yeah, that one. Total rush, man, opening that lock'n'lock. Nearly wet myself.

;)

:)

for reference: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...56-3cecbdb7afe5

Edited by StarBrand

The same reason I open the mailbox, open UPS boxes, start my car, drive on the road, etc., ad infinitum.

I don't live in war-zone, work for the mob, work in the government, work in law enforcement, etc., ad nauseum.

The day I start making enemies or addressing nations or hunting for land mines is the day that I stop opening Tupperware in the woods.

There's a much better chance of me buying it on the road, driving to work.

Its not like they jump off the still slowing truck 2 minutes after the call came in with a water cannon in hand and blast the object instantly. And what if it is indeed a listed Geocache?? While the guys drive to the scene and get setup - somebody back at HQ could get on the website and check it out. Give it a thought. Be open to the possibility. Thats all I ask. If it stands a more than reasonable chance of being a known Geocache listed on the site with previous finders - it might make a lot of difference during that first 15 minutes after the call comes in. Is that too much to ask for? (APPARENTLY)

I have thought about it. And I still think the cost/benefit evaluation favors destroying it.

Besides, if it becomes known that bomb squads will stand down from a geocache, suddenly the fake listing concept is a really good strategy.

What it comes down to is this: I'm simply not willing to ask people who risk their lives for my safety to change their procedures so my game pieces don't get wrecked.

I was on the side of "they should check the website" to begin with.

There, to this point, has not been any incidence of anyone listing a bomb on the geocaching website.

Not sure what the point of that would be since the police don't always check the website (athough some cops actually DO check the website).

Most people who hide bombs just would not take the time to do the listing, then wait for it to be published. Someone hiding a bomb usually just isnt' that patient.

You've got a good point. We all trust the caches put there. Why don't the cops more often take a look on the website first?

they carry computers in their squad cars now, so it would just take a minute.

Before the bomb squad even got there they would know whether it is on the website or not.

Hey, one good reason not to be FTF!!!!! LOL

But seriously, IF and it's a BIG if; if this happens in the geocaching context the person will be easily caught and I doubt there will be a wave of copycat crimes after.

This assumes the problem cache has been put into play with the intent of being a bomb or other dangerous device.

It would be far more likely someone would go on line and seek out an existing cache, and replace it with their device. :) You go boom, and your wife takes out the cache owner. Oops wrong person. :o

As to the original question in this thread. I would have no problem with opening any cache, but I would not tell anyone else they need to open it. That is their choice.

For myself, I do not live in fear of meteorites, volcanoes, or earthquakes. Any one of which I think is more likely than being blown up by a cache. ;)

They are looking for a bomb.

Technically, the initial responder is usually looking for a reported suspicious object.

Once he/she locates it, they make a decision based upon their training, experience and department policy.

If that decision is along the lines of, "Yup, that looks pretty darn suspicious to me", the incident goes up the food chain.

By the time the EOD guys show up, the object's location is usually well known. No need to find it.

They just gotta show up and render it safe.

(EOD speak for blow it up) ;)

In my 20+ years in law enforcement, I've responded to a gazillion suspicious objects. Only one went up the food chain.

How many times has the EOD crew shown up and not "Made safe" the object they were confronted with?

Much of this is a matter of responsibility. Public safety is not my responsibility. That is to say that it isn't expected of me to respond to a bomb scare, real or imagined. These guys are well aware that the odds of an item being a bomb are near to zero. They are also well aware that the odds are not zero. Which ones do they assume aren't going to kill them?

Instead of worrying about the very small percentage of geocaches we loose this way what say we consider it our contribution to training these guys who risk their lives?

How many times has the EOD crew shown up and not "Made safe" the object they were confronted with?

Oddly enough, (considering my earlier translation of "render safe"), the one object I forwarded up the food chain was not immediately blown up. It was a pipe bomb some kids made. Black powder encased in scored steel pipe, with a cannon fuse. They had already detonated several smaller devices in their back yard. I found that one in their garage. EOD took it with them to use as a training aid, blowing it up later. The other gazillion (minus one) objects I've responded to were determined to be safe by me, as the first responder. These objects have run the gamut from a 50 cal ammo box full of expended ammo, several back packs, dozens of Fed-Ex boxes, and even a plastic grocery bag full of banana peels. :o

(Yes, someone dialed 911 because they thought a plastic bag full of banana peels was suspicious) :);)

Oddly enough, (considering my earlier translation of "render safe"), the one object I forwarded up the food chain was not immediately blown up. It was a pipe bomb some kids made. Black powder encased in scored steel pipe, with a cannon fuse. They had already detonated several smaller devices in their back yard. I found that one in their garage. EOD took it with them to use as a training aid, blowing it up later. The other gazillion (minus one) objects I've responded to were determined to be safe by me, as the first responder. These objects have run the gamut from a 50 cal ammo box full of expended ammo, several back packs, dozens of Fed-Ex boxes, and even a plastic grocery bag full of banana peels. :o

(Yes, someone dialed 911 because they thought a plastic bag full of banana peels was suspicious) :);)

Thanks Riffster. I didn't mean just those incidences you have handled. My question was more about EOD response in general.

I open them because I am looking for a geocache. They are looking for a bomb.

Pretty much the same. I go looking for a geocache and I find a container that fits the description or is in some way recognizable by me as a geocache so I open it. A LEO who is not a geocacher goes to investigate a suspicious package and whether or not someone looks it up and says "There is a geocache hidden at the same location", he might not know what to look for. Certainly that is one reason for marking on the outside of the container "Geocache" and probably some contact information. But as we know not all geocaches are so marked. And marking a geocache is still no guarantee against it being "rendered safe".

When I am looking for the geocache, however, I am cautious about what I'll pick up or even touch. I'll often find things that aren't the cache. Mostly its just litter. But there are certainly things I've found that I'm not going to pick up and open. I haven't found anything that I felt required reporting to the police, but it wouldn't take a lot more than what I have seen to go over this line. I also don't go sticking my hands into places I can't see. There might be a poisonous spider or snake in there, let alone who knows what other yucky stuff.

I open them because I am looking for a geocache. They are looking for a bomb.

Pretty much the same. I go looking for a geocache and I find a container that fits the description or is in some way recognizable by me as a geocache so I open it. A LEO who is not a geocacher goes to investigate a suspicious package and whether or not someone looks it up and says "There is a geocache hidden at the same location", he might not know what to look for. Certainly that is one reason for marking on the outside of the container "Geocache" and probably some contact information. But as we know not all geocaches are so marked. And marking a geocache is still no guarantee against it being "rendered safe".

When I am looking for the geocache, however, I am cautious about what I'll pick up or even touch. I'll often find things that aren't the cache. Mostly its just litter. But there are certainly things I've found that I'm not going to pick up and open. I haven't found anything that I felt required reporting to the police, but it wouldn't take a lot more than what I have seen to go over this line. I also don't go sticking my hands into places I can't see. There might be a poisonous spider or snake in there, let alone who knows what other yucky stuff.

Wise words!

I've had to get out of my vehicle to inspect "a hollowed out rock with wires sticking from it" along a highway in Iraq (and I'm the medic!), so I think I'm more apt to just open a container in the US.

Most domestic terrorists in the US use pipe-bombs for collateral damage atttacks, so I wont open a pipe-cache near a school, clinic or gov't office. As for pinpointed domestic terror attacks, I dont think I'll open the Ryder truck TB hotel.

Edited by bramasoleiowa