Garmin 60CSX tracks

On my 60csx, I was attempting to use tracks to document a trail that is not on my topo map (from gpsfiledepot).

Are tracks recorded automatically? Or, do I have to start and stop track recording, to capture them?

(I don't have the unit here at work to refer to it)

Seems like when I did start and stop recording tracks, it had still recorded before and after.

My ultimate aim is to take the tracks into ExpertGPS.

If anyone has some tips specific to the Garmin 60csx as far as recording tracks, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

Steve.

Edited by gpsgeology

On my 60csx, I was attempting to use tracks to document a trail that is not on my topo map (from gpsfiledepot).

Are tracks recorded automatically? Or, do I have to start and stop track recording, to capture them?

(I don't have the unit here at work to refer to it)

Seems like when I did start and stop recording tracks, it had still recorded before and after.

My ultimate aim is to take the tracks into ExpertGPS.

If anyone has some tips specific to the Garmin 60csx as far as recording tracks, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

Steve.

I turn on the option to record the tracks to the data card. The 60csx creates one gpx file per day, each named by date (for instance, the file 20090830 contains all the tracks recorded on 30th August of this year), which makes it easy to sort through them. I usually leave the track recording function on all the time and edit the tracks once they have been transferred to the computer.