Isn't it ironic?

roiegat

So while still new to the sport one thing I really like about it is the fact that were cleaning up our environment and making it a better place. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I often carry a bag with me and make sure to take out the trash if it's there.

Yet, almost 80% of all cachers I see have a piece of paper in their hands with the cache information on it. So were condoning the killing of trees? I guess I'm lucky to have all the cache information available on my IPhone app and I understand the need for people to bring the information with them - but can't we find a more environmentally way to do it?

Just a thursday though.

Ironic, no. Just another option.

What kind of resources were used to manufacture your iPhone. Let's see mining, petrolem extraction, pretty nasty chemicals to manufacture circuit boards and rechargeable batteries.

What did you do with the phone that was replaced w/ the iPhone?

Paper can be recycled, composted, second side reused. Maybe it was recycled paper. How much recycled material was used in making your iPhone?

Ironic, no. Just another option.

What kind of resources were used to manufacture your iPhone. Let's see mining, petrolem extraction, pretty nasty chemicals to manufacture circuit boards and rechargeable batteries.

What did you do with the phone that was replaced w/ the iPhone?

Paper can be recycled, composted, second side reused. Maybe it was recycled paper. How much recycled material was used in making your iPhone?

Touche, well I do have the Iphone 3GS which is more green then older versions.

Personally if I print out anything I try to use the paper again and feed it in my printer upside down and print on the other side. I also shred my used paper and turn into cat litter. Any other paper I make sure to recycle.

Keep on caching guys!

Trees are a renewable resource.

Yeah, unlike the tossed batteries I have picked from inside and around caches. Now who is the environmentalist? :);):):o

Six of one, half-dozen of another, donchathink?

EDIT INFO: Yes, batteries are recyclable, but not when people dump them like that!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Personally I'm not a big fan of recycling. Before I get flamed out of existence, let me explain. I much prefer reduce, followed by reuse. And of course recycling beats not recycling. However, in some situations, recycling is not really very environmentally sound. Take, for example, this. It's just the first result Google threw up at me.

Personally I'm not a big fan of recycling. Before I get flamed out of existence, let me explain. I much prefer reduce, followed by reuse. And of course recycling beats not recycling. However, in some situations, recycling is not really very environmentally sound. Take, for example, this. It's just the first result Google threw up at me.

Very interesting, thank you.

Agreed. NG magazine had an interesting article on recycling in the last year or so...

I am a Sophmore at Drury University here in Springfield Mo. Seeking a BAC in Environmental Sciences. Trees are a newable resource and the paper usage is a non-issue...if you really want to get into the Green aspect of Geocaching then lets talk about the GPS's battery usage. Do you use only rechargeables? If not what about all those AA and AAA batteries that end up going in the trash and ultimately the land fills?

What about the environmental impact we have trampling into and out of cache areas?

Personally I think the useage of paper is less of an impact than what some of the other actions are.

I am a Sophmore at Drury University here in Springfield Mo. Seeking a BAC in Environmental Sciences. Trees are a newable resource and the paper usage is a non-issue...if you really want to get into the Green aspect of Geocaching then lets talk about the GPS's battery usage. Do you use only rechargeables? If not what about all those AA and AAA batteries that end up going in the trash and ultimately the land fills?

What about the environmental impact we have trampling into and out of cache areas?

Personally I think the useage of paper is less of an impact than what some of the other actions are.

There may be hope for the planet yet, if there are more students like you. Back in the 60's, there were a dozen chemicals or more in the environmental "conversatation." Some wound up banned and better options were found to replace the use of others. Today it seems that all everyone talks about is carbon. And even though humans only play a small part in the carbon cycle, most people seem to think that is all we should be concerned about.

All things in moderation? Oftentimes I hear people running around with their hair on fire, "Save the Trees!"

Being a former caver, I would like to tour the caves they live in. How are they furnished? Early Cenozoic? A bit much you say? How about something in a nice, warm Late Cretaceous?

Better Caves and Gardens?..........hmmmm.

...but can't we find a more environmentally way to do it?

Well, I suppose so, but it's not that convenient. Not everyone has an iPhone or other smartphone to read data on. I could bring my laptop, but it's cumbersome to carry the extra bag, especially during a hike. And then I'd need to attempt to operate the laptop while in the bush. Sometimes, you just can't beat good ol' paper.

Edited by BCProspectors

correct! who count the stupid carbon emissions on recycling? stupid and a wasteful!

...if you really want to get into the Green aspect of Geocaching then lets talk about the GPS's battery usage. Do you use only rechargeables? If not what about all those AA and AAA batteries that end up going in the trash and ultimately the land fills?

not to mention all the emissions from our vehicles driving around to many of these caches. I wonder how much petrol and diesel we are burning chasing around the place 'for fun' ?

The big irony is that once some of us have finished car-sharing, or 'taking the train' into work during the week in order to cut down on road use and pollution, we then get into our cars to do totally unecessary journeys looking for caches - it's a mad world folks :anibad:

Edited by springer5

I would just like to say to everyone, I print my geocache coordinates on 30"x45" posterboard, only one coordinate per posterboard. After I find the location, I burn the posterboard with illegal CFC hairspray. Then, the pen I used to write the coordinate down with, I empty all the ink into the nearest water aquifer. After that is all said and done with, I drive miles and miles putting smog into the atmosphere to home. I get onto my computer that is powered by coal and make posts about how people are retarded when it comes to saving the planet.

I often carry a bag with me and make sure to take out the trash if it's there.

I understand the need for people to bring the information with them - but can't we find a more environmentally way to do it?

Congrats on your e-awareness and pro-active acts ...

perhaps with more suggestions like the ones on this thread, each savings of energy, no matter how small...will contribute to answering your question...

my grandma taught my pops and they both instilled recycling into my being...kudos to one and all who give it their all !!!

All things in moderation? Oftentimes I hear people running around with their hair on fire, "Save the Trees!"

Being a former caver, I would like to tour the caves they live in. How are they furnished? Early Cenozoic? A bit much you say? How about something in a nice, warm Late Cretaceous?

Better Caves and Gardens?..........hmmmm.

Would better caves and gardens be a magazine? Because think of the waste!

...if you really want to get into the Green aspect of Geocaching then lets talk about the GPS's battery usage. Do you use only rechargeables? If not what about all those AA and AAA batteries that end up going in the trash and ultimately the land fills?

not to mention all the emissions from our vehicles driving around to many of these caches. I wonder how much petrol and diesel we are burning chasing around the place 'for fun' ?

The big irony is that once some of us have finished car-sharing, or 'taking the train' into work during the week in order to cut down on road use and pollution, we then get into our cars to do totally unecessary journeys looking for caches - it's a mad world folks :)

Don't blame me for that one! I walk 2 hours to get to the nearest caches instead of driving.

And do you think I am so rich that I can buy iPhone or something like that? But yes, I'm not printing whole cache page. I usually write down coordinates and hint (sometimes notes about transport), and that's all.

We need paper and that's why are new trees planted still. :grin:

And do you think I am so rich that I can buy iPhone or something like that? But yes, I'm not printing whole cache page. I usually write down coordinates and hint (sometimes notes about transport), and that's all.

We need paper and that's why are new trees planted still. :)

Before I went almost totally paperless with a smartphone I used to turn GPX files from a pocket query into HTML with GPSBabel, then print the entire thing two sheets to a side and double-sided. So every four pages took up one physical sheet of paper. I could get 200-odd caches onto 12-15 sheets of paper. Then when they were no longer needed I chucked them in the recycling bin.

Now with the smartphone I store each cache as an individual HTML document and carry a single sheet of paper with me to note down clues for multis and puzzles, and keep a note of where I dropped off any trackables. One sheet of paper lasts me anything up to a dozen caching trips, i.e. until it's either full or so crumpled I use a fresh sheet.

To the OP: you do know that Apple gets materials for the iPhone from groups that use forced/slave labor in the Congo and use their profits for the purpose of buying weapons, right?

Thanks for condoning war and slavery in Africa for your iPhone while arguing against us for condoning "killing" a tree for a piece of paper.

That is truly ironic.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

To the OP: you do know that Apple gets materials for the iPhone from groups that use forced/slave labor in the Congo and use their profits for the purpose of buying weapons, right?

Thanks for condoning war and slavery in Africa for your iPhone while arguing against us for condoning "killing" a tree for a piece of paper.

That is truly ironic.

If you own an iPhone, you can't possibly be in favor of environment preservation or recycling. Because if you try that trick everone is gonna see the hypocrite that you are and then just ignore anything that you say, regardless of how right and helpful that it might be.

I know that I'd do that, doesn't everone?

Edited by Team Cotati

I buy recycled paper and when I'm done with it, I recycle it again. Environmentaly friendly

I use rechargeable cells in my GPSr. Environmentaly friendly

I bought a newer GPSr which allows me to go paperless on cache runs (for the most part.) OMG...You bought a new GPSr. You are killing mother earth!

I often CITO when out caching. Environmentaly friendly

Just kidding.....

We all should try to be responsable, but lets not blow little things out of proportion.

I always joke to greenies that throughing paper in the garbage is a great from of carbon sequestering. In a land fill, that paper will never bio-degrade (well, maybe 100 years or so).

I buy recycled paper and when I'm done with it, I recycle it again. Environmentaly friendly

I use rechargeable cells in my GPSr. Environmentaly friendly

I bought a newer GPSr which allows me to go paperless on cache runs (for the most part.) OMG...You bought a new GPSr. You are killing mother earth!

I often CITO when out caching. Environmentaly friendly

Just kidding.....

We all should try to be responsable, but lets not blow little things out of proportion.

I always joke to greenies that throughing paper in the garbage is a great from of carbon sequestering. In a land fill, that paper will never bio-degrade (well, maybe 100 years or so).

Yeah, don't forget though, you could be much more helpful if you encouraged everone to throw paper products in the recycle can. Little things matter.