Night Caches

_Wolverine

So I posted a question on the geocaching.com forum about night caches and adding them as another entry/field so they can be identified better. I think there should be a listing for night caches - I think they are neat.. I have done a few of them - what do you guys think?

So I posted a question on the geocaching.com forum about night caches and adding them as another entry/field so they can be identified better. I think there should be a listing for night caches - I think they are neat.. I have done a few of them - what do you guys think?

see my sig?

when I'm looking for specific night caches I pick the recommended at night attribute. night-yes.gif

I think that adding them as a cache type (that's how your statement reads to me considering you can set the flag) would make one less reason to pay for premium membership.

see my sig?

when I'm looking for specific night caches I pick the recommended at night attribute. night-yes.gif

I think that adding them as a cache type (that's how your statement reads to me considering you can set the flag) would make one less reason to pay for premium membership.

But how do you search for them? You can't search by attributes? I go into the advanced search and I see traditional, multi, event, mega-event, cache in cache out, etc but not night caches - or search by attributes unless I am missing another search option ??

just run a Pocket Query inside the PQ settings is a spot to include or exclude certain attributes

Thanks - since I am not very keen on a lot of the features - without anyone being snippy or mean - or if there is a link on how to do a pocketquery, that would be nice.. and be nice people!!! :lol:

see my sig?

But how do you search for them? You can't search by attributes? I go into the advanced search and I see traditional, multi, event, mega-event, cache in cache out, etc but not night caches - or search by attributes unless I am missing another search option ??

The reason you can't find it using advanced search options is because it is a Pocket Query value add.

Click the link I gave you. Then build new query.

Avoid making contradictory selections like:

That (and)

I haven't found

I have found

OR

I don't own

I own

OR

Are available to all users

Are for members only

Those are only the first three examples of contradictions you can select, but if you do select them then you will not get results.

Towards the bottom of the page you will find, Attributes to Include and Attributes to Exclude.

This is another spot where you can make a lot of contradictions so be careful here.

Row 2 column 3 is where you will find recommended at night.

see my sig?

The reason you can't find it using advanced search options is because it is a Pocket Query value add.

Click the link I gave you. Then build new query.

Avoid making contradictory selections like:

That (and)

I haven't found

I have found

OR

I don't own

I own

OR

Are available to all users

Are for members only

Those are only the first three examples of contradictions you can select, but if you do select them then you will not get results.

Towards the bottom of the page you will find, Attributes to Include and Attributes to Exclude.

This is another spot where you can make a lot of contradictions so be careful here.

Row 2 column 3 is where you will find recommended at night.

Cool - thanks! That worked.. :-)

The problem may be that the OP is considering a very specific type of cache when he is talking about night caches - i.e. those caches that use reflective tacks or tape to set up a path to follow.

night-yes.gif means recommended at night. It might include very traditional caches that just happen to be in a location where you can cache a night and perhaps where there happens to be a good nighttime view or some other feature not at all connected to the cache that makes it recommended.

flashlight-yes.gif means flashlight required. It might be for a cache hidden in a cave or some other dark place as much as for a night cache.

Perhaps the two attributes together would mean a night cache, but there is a problem. Attributes are not required and not all cache owners - even night cache owners - will use them. In addition only premium members can search by attributes and that requires setting up pocket queries.

I am opposed to creating a new cache type for night caches. Night caches are just one of many hiding techniques or styles for setting up a cache hunt. You probably don't want to create a type for every cache hiding style. We also have a pretty good solution right now. Premium members can create bookmark lists. In many areas there are one or more public bookmark lists of night caches. If you do one night cache in that area then look on the page and see if there is bookmark list with other night caches. If there isn't one already in your area, start a list. Others will contact you with caches to add to the list to help you find where the nearby night caches are. This solution is better because it also works for other styles that people would like to search on such as cemetery caches.

i think if its been designed for night caching then an option "night caching only" should be included. i did do a search using the above two icons and very interesting results, leaving me thinking that perhaps a "Night caching only" button should be added as torch can mean a slightly dark wood or cave entrance and the button for at night above could mean a lamp post cache at macdonalds.

i think if its been designed for night caching then an option "night caching only" should be included. i did do a search using the above two icons and very interesting results, leaving me thinking that perhaps a "Night caching only" button should be added as torch can mean a slightly dark wood or cave entrance and the button for at night above could mean a lamp post cache at macdonalds.

Thanks for all the inquiries on this topic - granted, there are quite a few attributes to choose from - I think there are now like 40+ attributes to select from - and the owner can only select 10. Geocaching changes every day - there's new variations of them (night caching, winter (snow) caches, hamster caching (just kidding) etc) so where do we draw the line - we shouldn't... but there should be a limit of what caches are available to choose from - make too many of them - it can get messy.. Most night caches are in the form of a regular, micro, nano etc so it's not about the size but more of an "event" - i.e. letterbox, cache in cache out.. I don't have any solutions but I think a nice tweak would be cool to make it more user friendly to find such fun and neat caches.. *shrugs*

i think if its been designed for night caching then an option "night caching only" should be included.
How about a combination of "not available at all times" and "recommended at night"?

available-no.gifnight-yes.gif

Of course, this still assumes that cache owners use attributes, and use them accurately.