NEW to geocashing NEED cheap started GOS

ghri49

I need to buy a used or new gps for as little as possible due to the lack there of money. if you have anything that i would be interested in please let me know and if you could give me a little information on what it is and what it will do since i am not really sure what is what. And all advice on which one is a good starter device is more than welcome or what i need to look for in a device!!!

Thanks for looking and the advice

After reading another post i figured i needed to add some more information on what i would like aswell. I would like a digital compass on it and would love to be able to go wireless if i can afford it.

Again thanks for looking

Edited by ghri49

I would recommend checking the Garage Sale forum here along with your local Craigslist postings for a GPS unit because you can sometimes find older models for sale for less than $50.00. Adding shipping costs can sometimes double the cost of a unit depending on locations and insurance, etc. so local is better.

Be advised that wireless and an electronic compass will add serious expense to the units cost though!

I have a Magellan MAP330 that I purchased in 2000 that still finds caches, has 'decent' street level maps, and that I can send caches to from this website using my PC. It's my backup unit now and my 4 year old daughter carries it most of the time when we go caching as it has a huge compass screen that she can watch as we get closer to the cache. Heavy tree cover will cause it to lose sats sometimes but other than that it works just fine. I see the older Magellan and Garmin units from the same time period on craigslist for $25.00 - $50.00 fairly often.

You don't really need an expensive unit to get started but if you can afford it I'd try to use an Etrex 'H' series or Magellan Explorist series (or better) as your target. Both can be had at reasonable prices.

Good luck and good hunting!

Hello!

Welcome to caching! My recommendation would be the same as kymarkh, I have purchased (3) Explorist 210's off ebay. They made great presents for family members who wanted to get into this like you. I would look on ebay for one of these units. They are very easy to use. Affordable. I haven't heard of any issues at this time with one of these units. I haven't tried any other other Explorist models but I hear they are great. I can tell you that I have used the 210 on my PC and Macbook. Good luck on your search. If you I see anything Ill send the information your way.

PaneledZero

Edited by PaneledZero

I'm a newbie also and I'm looking for a unit to get started with. Do the models you mentioned link with the geocaching.com website ? My friend told me to get a Garmin 400t but I'm not sure about the $

I'd like something that's paperless if you can make some suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Hello!

Welcome to caching! My recommendation would be the same as kymarkh, I have purchased (3) Explorist 210's off ebay. They made great presents for family members who wanted to get into this like you. I would look on ebay for one of these units. They are very easy to use. Affordable. I haven't heard of any issues at this time with one of these units. I haven't tried any other other Explorist models but I hear they are great. I can tell you that I have used the 210 on my PC and Macbook. Good luck on your search. If you I see anything Ill send the information your way.

PaneledZero

Edited by creggers

Welcome to geocaching! I bought a Meridian Platinum a few years back for about $100 and I swear it's almost unbeatable for caching. It today has almost as much toys and gadgets as the new GPS units coming out. I'm amazed and when I think about replacing it I cringe because the big GPS companys try to make these new units so user friendly they take out some of the best features. The Meri Plat may take a while to use but I think it's the coolest GPS I have owned and I think I saw on on amazon dot com for $20 or so. Might be worth looking up!

I have our Garmin eTrex for Sale. I will paste the info below. I was wanting $190 for it (paid $250 or so for it & it is VERY gently used!), but would sell it for $175. I may even throw in shipping, if you live in the US.

We are selling our VERY gently used eTrex. This has been used for local geocaching & is a great buy! I have the leather case that goes with it, the manuals, the USB cable, the CD, etc. ALL LIKE NEW!!!!

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, eTrex Vista HCx locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you’re in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Vista HCx to help you find your way when you need it the most.

The Vista HCx has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Adding maps is easier than ever with Vista HCx's microSD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded microSD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Vista HCx provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

Like the rest of the eTrex series, Vista HCx is lightweight and compact — the perfect size for all your travels.

Other Vista HCx features:

Waterproof, so it can withstand the elements or an accidental dunk in water.

Crisp 256-color, sunlight-readable display makes it easy to distinguish map details — plus, it looks fantastic

Fast USB computer connection so you can transfer waypoints and other data to your computer

eTrex Vista HCx: Lock onto the great outdoors.

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.2" x 2.2" x 1.2" (10.7 x 5.6 x 3.0 cm)

Display size, WxH: 1.3" x 1.7" (3.3 x 4.3 cm)

Display resolution, WxH: 176 x 220 pixels

Display type: 256 level color TFT

Weight: 5.5 oz (156 g) with batteries

Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included)

Battery life: 25 hours

Waterproof: yes (IPX7)

Floats: no

High-sensitivity receiver: yes

PC interface: USB

RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes

Preloaded maps: no

Ability to add maps: yes

Built-in memory: no

Accepts data cards: microSD card (not included)

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000

Routes: 50

Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes

Electronic compass: yes

Barometric altimeter: yes

Geocaching mode: yes

Outdoor GPS games: yes

Hunt/fish calendar: yes

Sun and moon information: yes

Tide tables: no

Area calculation: yes

Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): no

Picture viewer: no

Edited by Mamatika

Hi there. I had a brilliant idea that required some extra GPSrs so I bought a vista hcx and a venture hc off

ebay. The idea fell through. :) I have a oregon 400 and an old venture hc as backup so I don't need them. The vista is in like new condition. I will throw in a 4gb sd card with what you need from topo us 2008 and free maps from gpsfiledepot plus a bonus routeable easteregg. $170 shipped If you want a cheaper one let me finish testing the venture hc. Maybe $105. All with unlimited email help. If you want a real cheap one show up with a case of your favorite cheap brew and you can have my old venture hc. :)

I'm a newbie also and I'm looking for a unit to get started with. Do the models you mentioned link with the geocaching.com website ? My friend told me to get a Garmin 400t but I'm not sure about the $

I'd like something that's paperless if you can make some suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Hello!

PaneledZero

HI creggers I have a ipaq rx 5700 for sale great for paperless has gps and memorymap also tomtom 6

regards plipey