Motorcycle wiring problem

Poppop1

My question involves hooking up my GPSmap 60 CS unit to my motorcycle. I'm trying to use my 12v cigarette adapter, which I have connected directly to the battery, with a 15amp inline blade-type fuse . This setup has worked with other accessories such as lights, cell phone charger, etc., but will not power up my Garmin. I have bought two different 12v cords for the GPS unit. Both of these cords worked perfectly in my car, but would not work on the bike. I tried other accessories in the bike's cigarette lighter socket, and they all worked perfectly. I have even tried three different 12v sockets on the bike. All of these worked perfectly with other accessories but not with the GPS. When I plug the GPS unit in, it will run only on battery power, not the 12v power. Is this possibly because there's not enough voltage? I've only tried this when the bike was standing still, cold, not driving on the road. I know that there's sometimes a vibration problem with motorcycles, but this is not the case here. I wonder if I should use a hard-wire hookup instead of the cigarette adapter? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

Cigarette lighter adapters are notoriously "fussy" on a motorcycle. The one I had worked ok most of the time, but when the electrical connection intermittently broke (vibration, temperature, moisture, ????), it freaked out my GPS. I eventually hard wired the adapter (12v to the USB standard 5V) directly into a circuit that was only "hot" when the key was on. Also, a word of caution about the "mini USB" connector (I assume that is what power source the GPSmap 60 series uses). They were not designed with the motorcycle environment in mind. I only use mine when I have to because I do not want to get water (dirt dust corrosion, etc,,,) on the connection pins. Most of the time I keep my connector caped and tucked out of the way.

The 60/76 series work with approx 8 - 35V DC so there usually isn't a problem running them from a motorcycle battery, even when the motor isn't running. However, if your battery is in poor shape and your bike has high wattage headlights that are ON when the engine isn't running (Canadian bikes do this, not sure if USA models do also) then the voltage at the 12V outlet may drop too low. If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the 12V outlet - just before I replaced the battery last week, mine was down to 9V.

I've had lots of problems with cigarette lighter type outlets on bikes. I modify the Garmin 12V cable to use a 2-pin flat connector like the type used on trailer light connectors. I splice a wire into the "hot" outlet on the ignition switch and run it to the "female" half of the 2 pin plug/socket. Never had connection problems since then.

Bob

I have noticed over the years that many 12v adapters seem to be 'short' where the (male) plugs are long (keep it clean, not trying to make a joke here) and don't always properly ground out. I have had this happen on many devices over the years on both motorcycles and in trucks as well as AC to DC adapters in homes...

The 'trailer type' plug sounds like a GREAT option! Thats how most bike battery 'maintainers' attach!

I modify the Garmin 12V cable to use a 2-pin flat connector like the type used on trailer light connectors. I splice a wire into the "hot" outlet on the ignition switch and run it to the "female" half of the 2 pin plug/socket. Never had connection problems since then.

Bob

Thanks for the tip! I like the 2-pin flat connection idea. Do you put a fuse anywhere in this setup? Or is there already a fuse built in to the 2-pin connector? I'll check at Wally World. I'm about ready to give up on this whole idea and just buy more batteries. I've already wasted enough money on 12-volt adapters to buy several years worth of batteries! :lol:

I assume you are using a 4 pin connector and not a USB connector?? USB does not power those units.

Actually it does at least it does on my 60Cx but is not the ideal solution in a weather enviroment. one of my pins just broke off from the back of my 60cx preventing the round 4 pin garmin plug from providing power. Used the mini USB cable this I have to charge my cell to save the batteries on my GPS while traveling (and keep the back light on).

On my mortorcycle, I don't bother with the charge cable, battery life is pretty good, my butt dies long before the batteries will.