Another Oregon 400 Compass Question

twinjayhawks

I was geocaching today and using the Routing Guidance "On Road for Time" feature. This worked great with my new City Navigator North America NT Map to get me by road to the cache. The problem seamed to be when I changed to the compass view to zero in on GZ... it would not show me where the cache was. It was pointing in other directions and the distance was way off. I then turned the guidance to "Off Road" and it worked like normal again.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there something I should be doing different?

I was geocaching today and using the Routing Guidance "On Road for Time" feature. This worked great with my new City Navigator North America NT Map to get me by road to the cache. The problem seamed to be when I changed to the compass view to zero in on GZ... it would not show me where the cache was. It was pointing in other directions and the distance was way off. I then turned the guidance to "Off Road" and it worked like normal again.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there something I should be doing different?

Was it perhaps pointing the bearing to the last turn?

I use City Nav on my 60csx. If you don't recalculate once you're in the general area of the cache, the software continues to try and place you on the nearest road. (If you selected "follow road" as your routing option) To get to the actual coordinates, you then have to recalculate using the "off road" option. This will give you the "bee line" that you're looking for.

Wow... I can't believe it does not switch by itself. That is a lot of wasted motion. I guess I will just leave it on "Off Road". That is too bad becasue I liked the way it got me to the cache along the streets.

I don't know of any that do automatically switch, I know I have to switch with my PN-40. Yes, a bother, but worth it for me to get routing and then find the cache!

On my Garmins (Colorado and 60csx) and Magellan Explorist, street routing is street routing and is different from off road calculations. If I try to street route from the cache location, the units will sometimes direct me miles out of my way to make a turn. But in each of the units, its only a click or two to from one to the other, so I have no problem using both guidance methods. The Colorado makes the transition particularly easy -- the Explorist sometimes fails to switch modes when I use the menu command to do that. But in any event, by the time I have found a parking spot, get out of thje car, and start to walk to the cache, I have switched to off road guidance. The whole process takes seconds.

Edited by Erickson

On my 300, I have the automotive profile setup for onroad routing with compass turned off. I have the Geocaching profile set up for off road routing with the Compass on. When I get out of the truck, I switch from Automotive profile to Geocaching profile and then go to compass.

The reason I do that is because someone said it would help keep the calibration of the compass. I may have to try the whereto recalculate off road and see. That may make it a little easier.