Law & Order: SVU

HomerJFong

Unfortunately I only heard and saw flashes of last night's episode despite my pleas to my family to 'shh'. Hopefully I'll be able to see it again sometime. I have to say I worry about the sport that we all love being shone in the same light as crime. There are a lot of sick people out there, people constanting looking for new ways to subject their evil to the innocent. I think we all have to face the fact that geocaching provides an opportunity for that. Imagine racing off to claim a FTF only to have a pipe bomb explode in your hands. Eventually something like this will happen. Given the nature of the sport it's impossible to have it monitored/administered to guarantee cacher safety but I think some modifications could be deployed to minimize some risk. For instance ensuring that a cacher has a significant amount of finds before publishing a cache and that they have been a member for awhile. I know obviously someone could just claim finds without actually finding caches but it might help. Of course this would also cut down on newbies making newbie mistakes, like placing illegal hides (damaging public property), burying caches, etc.

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely love this sport and love introducing it to others but I would prefer that those introductions are done by word of mouth rather than plastered all over the tv for anyone to see. I've also gotta high-five bramasoleiowa on the FTF theory. :) I could see myself doing the same thing.

Unfortunately I only heard and saw flashes of last night's episode despite my pleas to my family to 'shh'. Hopefully I'll be able to see it again sometime. I have to say I worry about the sport that we all love being shone in the same light as crime.

The goecaching reference had NOTHING to do with the crime.

The hunters found the suitcase with the body that was close to the actual geocache. The hider actually helped the cops with video of the suitcase being dumped.

They portrayed geocachers as albeit geeky, but very helpful.

... and people who like to dress up as stuffed animals.
Tell me you're not one of those people who caches in ordinary street clothes? :drama: How are we supposed to recognize each other in the field???

Somewhere in this maze of threads is the geocacher's greeting.

From memory, one person holds up the GPSr and says, "I be a cacher, and thou?"

and the second replies " I be a cacher too, well met".

And then we do that dance...

I saw it too - looks like we're still on that lunatic fringe with trekkies and people who like to dress up as stuffed animals.

The guy who played the sexy blue kitty on that episode of CSI is the younger cousin of one of my closest childhood friends. Sometimes a paycheck is just a paycheck, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

In Willy's words (the actor) "you are either working, or looking for work in this biz."

But it was quite bizarre to see the face of someone I knew pretty well a few years back revealed when the head was removed in the interrogation room.

When you see someone you think might be a geocacher you yell (very loudly) "Ho! Are ye a geocacher?"

If the person is indeed a geocacher, his response will be "Yay, a geocacher am I". Llisten very carefully to the response because there are some phony geocachers out there who will respond "Yay, a geocacher I am" If you hear that, RUN! because he is a fraud and might be an evil doer.

Once you've established that you are both geocachers you approach each other until you are facing each other at arms length. You each then put your right arm on the other's left shoulder and start dancing and skipping in a circle while repeatedly singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

- Author and inventor: Bryansnat

There was also a geocaching family on Extreme Makeover Home Edition on Sunday night. They got to go to Hawaii and the host even used geocaching to give the family a new hybrid car and Disney vacations. I thought that was really cool......talk about the ultimate FTF prize! :drama:

When you see someone you think might be a geocacher you yell (very loudly) "Ho! Are ye a geocacher?"

If the person is indeed a geocacher, his response will be "Yay, a geocacher am I". Llisten very carefully to the response because there are some phony geocachers out there who will respond "Yay, a geocacher I am" If you hear that, RUN! because he is a fraud and might be an evil doer.

Once you've established that you are both geocachers you approach each other until you are facing each other at arms length. You each then put your right arm on the other's left shoulder and start dancing and skipping in a circle while repeatedly singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

- Author and inventor: Bryansnat

Yes, that's the one. Thanks!

Still annoyed at the law and order portrayal. They did avoid using the the official Groundspeak logos and website, so maybe we're big enough that they don't want to risk a lawsuit :drama:.

Are there really geocachers out there that have their own site?

The hide in the show was inside a train tunnel. That would never get published on GC.com but if a user has their own site there would be no regulation to prevent them from hiding anywhere they want.

I saw it too - looks like we're still on that lunatic fringe with trekkies and people who like to dress up as stuffed animals.

Funny, that's my wife's exact opinion of the activity, but she likes geocaching events...Go figure. :lol:

My wife said the same thing. I know I am a techo-geek, but I don't think I am geeky.

Live long and prosp....

oops

Are there really geocachers out there that have their own site?

The hide in the show was inside a train tunnel. That would never get published on GC.com but if a user has their own site there would be no regulation to prevent them from hiding anywhere they want.

I don't know about yours but my GPSR doesn't like tunnels at all!

Maybe it's an offset. Coords bring you to the opening then you have to walk 12,000 paces inward?

Edited by Pat in Louisiana

In my view it showed it in a horrible light now that I saw it! Made it a lot more geeky than it was, and while there are a few "crazy" Manhattan hiding locations, I don't think some of the ones shown in here are even allowed. And while I thought the user name was funny, it's a shame as this is a very family-friendly activity and this goes a long way towards turning off parents learning of this activity through this show.

I'm not sure if this is one of the other 2 links posted, but what I like about this YouTube post is it ends with a disclaimer describing what geocaching REALLY is and how many families enjoy it:

I wonder if this is how Furies felt after that CSI: Vegas episode a few years back...?

I doubt it, they had the semi-understanding ubertolerant Grissam (sp?) on their side, and they partied in the glitz of Las Vegas, whereas we had dumpster diving FTF hounds and a self-gratification double entendre, with the investigators rolling their eyes the whole time.

At least they are trying to get closer to the real geocaching. The first one we used a shovel to find treasure. That was about it.

This second one got some of the terms we use right and even showed a cache.

I've never been that aggressive to get a FTF. Those guys were wacked out!

I noticed they didn't reference the geocaching.com site, instead some individuals personal caching page. Which I guess excuses the fact that a few big GC.com rules were broken. Like rail roads and permission.