G1 Geocaching

fatdoog

I've been reading so much about other devices used for this endeavor we all sneak around doing, but have yet to see a Forum surrounding the uber device for urban caching:

The G1.

I say this, as it is not drop-proof/waterproof/bombproof, but it full on rules in so many other ways.

My G1 is always with me, the accuracy is dead nuts, and if need be, i'm on Groundspeak with the touch of a button. I don't have to carry an additional device to download coords, take a photo, log @ Groundspeak, email/TXT my friends regarding the goodness i've discovered, or do caching at a moments notice.

If going into rugged/wet territory, well I carry something else.

I'm in no way a sales guy, don't work for them and get no kickbacks, but where are my G1 people?!

I'd like to see your pictures, read comments, or ???

Edited by fatdoog

I sold my G1 when I got my shiny new MyTouch 3g. Double the memory, double the battery life, but still all the Android goodness of the G1.

Then I exported a gpx file of my entire GSAK database and saved it to my sd card. Now Geobeagle can lead me to any cache in the state. It doesn't get much better than this.

Edited by Okiebryan

There was a quite lengthy G1 thread a while ago where evertbody was comparing apps and such. I too have shelved my Garmin and started using the G1 as my one and only caching gadget. Love it!

For apps I use Geobeagle and Cachemate. Geobeagle is smaller, quicker and gets the job done. Cachemate ... well I downloaded it strictly for the cache map that shows all the caches in your database on a Google map so you can plan routes more efficiently.

Both allow loggings via Textmarks SMS. Cachemate also has a nice travel bug tracking feature built in that helps you keep track of where you found/dropped coins and TBs.

I just did a youtube search on Geobeagle & found this "augmented reality" view video an,, I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!! Can GeoBeagle really do this??!

No, it can't... Read the comment under the video. This was done by the author of the video as a "proof of concept" using the wikitude API for Augmented Reality.

Here is the note from the author from the Youtube site when asked if this was available:

"The short answer is no... it was built as a very quick proof-of-concept "mashup". However, I have sent my code to Stephen Ng (lead developer of GeoBeagle) and he *is* interested in including it in a future release."

Yep I saw that note, but wasn't sure how much forward momentum such a cool project has achieved.

Is that video clip a sneak-peek of what is store in our Geocaching future??!?

All the technology bits & pieces are already in place, that mock-up video doesn't use any fairytale technology, it's do-able now! The accuracy of the arrow obviously won't point straight DOWN to the Geocache container lol but it'll get you close!

It must have a compass, a 3-axis one at that so it works when you hold it vertically & pan around..

I've been reading more & more about this augmented reality thing.. and the more I read the more I realize how HUGE that is going to become!!

Not just for Geocaching of course,, you'll be able to walk down the street and "look" at buildings & stores, and "see" stuff like menus phone numbers, store info, all kinds of stuff! There's no limit to how far that technology can go!

Edited by NordicMan

I just got my G1 and so far it's head and shoulders above my GPSMAP 76s from Garmin. So far I've only run some preliminary tests, but it rocks. From inside my brick apartment building it had no problem locking onto the birds and showing my position with much greater accuracy than the Garmin ever managed.

It has a complex array of internal sensors that include, yes, a compass that works in three axis. This think is so tricked out, the display automatically switches to landscape mode if you turn it sideways. Not only does it do terrestrial mapping really well, but with the GoogleSky app it does stellar mapping equally well. Want to know where mars is on a given night? As it, it will point you to it. It'll show stars and constellations, all in real time as you point the G1 toward the sky and pan around.

For caching, will I'm going to be taking it into the field on the morrow, but I fully anticipate it out performing my Garmin by a long shot.

So yeah, sensors galore. More to follow shortly. So far it's awesome!

intriguing, i have to check this out. got an estimate of total cost for all the stuff to get me geocaching with it?

To get geocaching with the G1? Just the cost of the phone and a data plan if you want on-the-fly internet.

T-Mobile was recently running a promo on the G1 for $169 with a 2 year contract and the Mytouch 3G (basically a G1 without a hardware keyboard) for $149.

As for apps, GeoBeagle is free. Cachemate is also available which provides a 2-d version of the map seen in the Youtube video. You can load a pocket query into it and select "show on map". A Google map will appear with your location marked and treasure chest icons where all the caches are located. You can zoom in/out and select satellite view to see terrain/trees/buildings, etc.

Also of note, someone mentioned being able to virtually walk down a street and see buildings. You can basically do that now with Google Maps Street View. There is an option to turn on "compass mode" which will sense your movements and move the image on the screen accordingly. Imagine standing in the middle of the street and spinning 360 degrees. You can accomplish this same thing by moving the phone. The image on the screen follows the movement of the phone.

intriguing, i have to check this out. got an estimate of total cost for all the stuff to get me geocaching with it?

To get geocaching with the G1? Just the cost of the phone and a data plan if you want on-the-fly internet.

T-Mobile was recently running a promo on the G1 for $169 with a 2 year contract and the Mytouch 3G (basically a G1 without a hardware keyboard) for $149.

As for apps, GeoBeagle is free. Cachemate is also available which provides a 2-d version of the map seen in the Youtube video. You can load a pocket query into it and select "show on map". A Google map will appear with your location marked and treasure chest icons where all the caches are located. You can zoom in/out and select satellite view to see terrain/trees/buildings, etc.

Also of note, someone mentioned being able to virtually walk down a street and see buildings. You can basically do that now with Google Maps Street View. There is an option to turn on "compass mode" which will sense your movements and move the image on the screen accordingly. Imagine standing in the middle of the street and spinning 360 degrees. You can accomplish this same thing by moving the phone. The image on the screen follows the movement of the phone.

thanks. i've never had any carrier but t-mobile, so i will look into it.

Okay, while I've not yet managed to go caching yet, I thought I'd report what I have done.

First thanks to Okiebryan I backed up my brand new G1, erased and then boxed it up, and took it back. I got the MyTouch (G2) instead because of Okiebryan's comments about the memory and my own tests. Plus to be honest, the G2 was more to my tastes. It's got a more streamlined feel in my hand, its sleeker, and so sexy in the Merlot color.

The GPSR in the MyTouch is everybit as accurate as the G1, and out performed my GPSMAP 76s by a significant margin.

I've taken a bunch of GPX files, dropped them into GeoBeagle, and am just plain wowed by this thing so far. Was one my way to my first cache when the heavens opened up on me. Sorry, I'm a wuss today, so not caching in the rain today.

However. I did a drive by the first cache on my list to visit and parked next to it. GPS was spot on, and I could (and did) toggle through the different scenes of information available, including map and satellite view. My Garmin couldn't do ANYTHING like this little pocket wonder. The compass was accurate, and easy to use and took me right to the spot.

About the only thing I STRONGLY advise is reading the faq at http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/GeoBeagle first. It makes the whole thing so much easier to use. Plus there is apparently a bug somewhere in the default Android browser that prevents it from properly syncing to GeoBeagle. I am planning to download Opera, which I'm told fixes the problem.

Over all, this is more like using a Tricorder to go caching than a "normal" GPSR. Plus honestly it attracts less muggle attention when you are walking along looking at your "phone" instead of a GPS.

As for the G1/G2 question, aside from those stated, the G2 also has a Lanyard loop (the G1 does not) and because it is fractionally smaller, it will fit into accessories for an iPod, including a waterproof case kind thing.

Currently, the G1 is selling for $129 and the MyTouch (G2) for $149. Don't discount the worth of the additional system memory like I did when I bought the G1. Out of the box with the "Donut" upgrade, you have 71 meg of Ram, and only a 1gig SD card.

Out of the box the MyTouch has just over 300 meg free memory which is WAY more than double the G1, has double the rom memory (for OS updates) and a 4gig SD card.

Soon as the skys clear, I'll visit my first cache and let y'all know how that goes. I expect it to be simple, easy and fun.

Sam

I promised a report a while back and oh dear am I pleased. Took me a while to find exactly the right radar screen for caching, but so far I've hit half a dozen caches.

The MyTouch 3G is awesome for caching. Fast, accurate, small, and because I do have a dataplan I log my finds standing there with the cache. The MyTouch simply rocks for caching. I'm using GeoBeagle and GPS Status and loving the Droidness! This IS the Droid I've been looking for!

Google has updated the OS twice since I've had mine, and is quickly reaching the point where the G1 will not have enough memory for future upgrades, so whatever you do, get the MyTouch. For twenty bucks more, you get way more memory. I thought I'd hate the touch screen keyboard but I love it. Simple, easy to use and fast.

You can't go wrong caching with a Droid!