Release Notes 10/06/09

OpinioNate

This afternoon Tomorrow Thursday Next week we will be pushing the latest monthly release to production. The following bug Release Notes cover 5 weeks of development rather than the usual 4, so you will find the list a bit longer than in the past.

Our major feature enhancements for the previous sprint are tracked separately, and include Geocaching.com Remastering (ongoing), the LOBOT HTML weekly emailer, and various site maintenance and technical debt.

Geocaching.com: Sept 2009

5268: Include day of the week on event cache pages

Now displaying the day of the week on event cache pages

12242: Polish translation of the Cache Note

Added Polish translation to /seek (thanks Toczygroszek!)

10330: Norwegian Translation of the Cache Note

Added Norwegian translation to /seek (thanks Morten!)

5145: Increase max number of results in bookmark list

Added options for 100, 150 and 200 bookmarks displayed

10678: When logged out, show the state and country on the cache listing page

Now displaying the state and country on cache details

12030: Send to GPS exploit allows viewing of unpublished cache by regular user

Implemented security checks for unpublished caches

12181: Hotels by Country take a very long time to load

Improved speed of Hotels breadcrumb navigation

12394: Users not notified of log deletion

Reinstated log deletion notification

12180: Gear URL Broken

HOTFIX: Fixed broken Gear URLs

12110: Webpage error causing broken Send to GPS functionality

Garmin changed URL for javascript - fixed

12072: Error encountered with email format in watchlist and instant notification messages

Fixed exception encountered when specified string is not in the form required for an email address

10386: Auto-fill username in cache submission form

Currently logged in username now displayed in "Who Placed the Cache"

11784: retracted caches show up in Weekly Mailer

No longer displaying caches other than active caches in the weekly mailer

10664: User sees no indication of current membership status when accessing geocaching.com/membership

/Membership now displays current status

11386: If a route is saved with no name, there is no easy way to access it and edit it or delete it

Error now received attempting to save a route PQ with no name

11232: Deletion of log causing server error

Fixed issue where attempting to delete a geocoin log results in a server error

11381: Route containing an ampersand or apostrophe in the name is failing to save

Routes containing "&" and "'" now properly save

11382: When more than one route is present in an uploaded file, one always fails to preview

Upload no longer fails for files containing multiple routes

10576: Caches Along A Route: Incorrect Error received when bad kml file is uploaded.

Error displayed now properly explains the problem

11950: CAAR distance and cache count sliders inaccurate when editing a route

Route edit details now show properly on postback

12002: Text changes on geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

Updated definition of "GC Code" and "Waypoint"

6576: HTML doesn't render correctly on IE

Fixed bug for Internet Explorer rendering "character

10100: Palestine not listed in country list.

Added Palestine

12419: Change title of bookmark page to bookmark title

Fixed page title and breadcrumb to display user-generated title of bookmark

10568: If you search with only one locale on the CAaR page, the "ghost" example in the other field is used

No longer uses the example city/state in creating a new route

9935: label on the current Trackable Inventory ("more" link)

Changed "History" text to "More"

12353: Printed pages do not show TB's in cache

Fixed malformed HTML on print friendly pages

9372: Failure to delete PQs when selecting all with the "all" checkbox

Can now properly delete all PQs at once

12320: Wording of membership status in login widget confuses users

Changed "Since MM/DD/YYYY" to "Member Since: MM/DD/YYYY" to reduce confusion

12322: User cannot view more than 728 ignored caches

HOTFIX: Fixed issue which concealed bookmarked caches greater than 728 in number

11364: message when updating coords

Improved error message when attempting to move a cache too far, including instructions to contact the reviewer who originally published the cache

12026: Withold submission confirmation email until cache is active

"Your cache has been submitted" email withheld until the "This cache is active" checkbox is checked

11218: Visiting account pages when logged out should prompt login

All Account pages will now automatically navigate to the Login page if you are not currently Logged-in.

11988: HOTELS: The number of accommodations listed for each city on Country page rarely matches the number returned

Hotels country listings now correctly report the number of hotels available per city

12204: Text change at Adoption page

Changed "waypoint name" to "GC Code"

9917: When trying to create 41st Pocket Query using a route, web site throws an error

Corrected error message when attempting to create 41st route PQ

8974: Change Breadcrumb Trail for Logs

Breadcrumbs for trackables, caches and benchmarks now more logically constructed

12124: Inconsistent spelling of 'username'

Changed all spellings to "username" from "user name"

12142: Out of place error viewing bookmark list page 2

Visiting page 2+ of bookmark lists no longer submits the "add bookmark" field at top right

11126: Caches Along a Route (CAaR) missing qualifying caches

HOTFIX: Greatly increased the reliability of route Pocket Queries

9767: "My Finds" Pocket Query counts against limit of 5 if run ahead of 5, but not if run 6th

My Finds PQ no longer calculated in daily quota

10574: CAaR PQ seems to do cache filtering too late in process, results in caches clustered around start point

Fixed as a result of case 11126

Please do not post in the release notes thread about unrelated bugs. We still have a lot of work left to do and not all at once, but we'll continue working hard to plug all the holes in due time. Thanks for your support and help in reporting issues.

Edit: We're postponing the release.

Edited by OpinioNate

Great work! I will especially appreciate:

5268: Include day of the week on event cache pages

5145: Increase max number of results in bookmark list

10386: Auto-fill username in cache submission form

11382: When more than one route is present in an uploaded file, one always fails to preview

12419: Change title of bookmark page to bookmark title

11218: Visiting account pages when logged out should prompt login

12142: Out of place error viewing bookmark list page 2

11126: Caches Along a Route (CAaR) missing qualifying caches

9767: "My Finds" Pocket Query counts against limit of 5 if run ahead of 5, but not if run 6th

I see that there are some planned changes to Pocket Queries. Have they gone into effect yet because I created a new query 30 minutes ago and it's still hasn't run through yet.

No, we have not released any code yet. It takes around 7 hours to run the day's PQs so you probably just hit a backlog.

Geocaching.com: Sept 2009

12026: Withold submission confirmation email until cache is active

"Your cache has been submitted" email withheld until the "This cache is active" checkbox is checked

That is a great improvement, I know of a lot (my self included when I made my first cache) that have been confused by this one when they created a cache but wasn't finished with the editing yet and thus hadn't checked the "This cache is active" checkbox.

/René

I guess this is the best place for this. I've just noticed my just created private bookmark list are showing up on the cache's there book marking. I've check both of them and all the options are unchecked.

Jason of

JasonAndCarol

Just checked your profile and there are no bookmarks listed. When you look at the cache page that you have bookmarked, is the bookmark in a "My Bookmark Lists" menu on the right hand side versus a bookmark menu titled simply "Bookmark Lists"? If it is under "My Bookmark Lists" then that bookmark menu is not visible to everybody, only the bookmark list titled "Bookmark List"

Hope that helps.

MYater

Please do not post in the release notes thread about unrelated bugs. We still have a lot of work left to do and not all at once, but we'll continue working hard to plug all the holes in due time. Thanks for your support and help in reporting issues.

If you find other issues not mentioned in the first post, please create a new thread.

9/31/09... :lol::lol::anibad:

Brat... :)

Anyway, this is why I have preferred in the past to post release notes *after* we have released but I thought I'd try something new this time. You see now how well that worked out.

We're on track to release this afternoon. I think.

Edited by OpinioNate

Well, we're going to call it for this week and postpone to the next. We won't be ready today and it's not wise to update the site on a Friday (the 32nd).

I'm very sorry for the delay - I know many of these bug fixes are anxiously anticipated but it's critical that we're comfortable with the build before releasing, and at the moment we are not. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

... I have preferred in the past to post release notes *after* we have released but I thought I'd try something new this time. You see now how well that worked out.

Gives us a chance to try out the bugs which we didn't even notice just before they're fixed :lol:

Mark

What is the function of "Offline Pocket Queries"? (I uploaded a file just to see if I could make sense of it but I can't.)

I was wondering that myself. :D

I think that is the ability to download your PQ's to your phone with an App like the geocaching app. I am able to download PQ's to my Iphone but only if I have already run one from the site.

This is just a guess.

My Route PQ Copy of From CA Day 3

just "ran" with a time shown of 10/6/2009 12:00:00 AM

I believe this is your flag for "error" (and, of course, I received no output.)

I was able to preview this.

Not sure if this counts as a new problem, an unfixed problem that was expected to be fixed, or an old problem.

Not sure if this counts as a new problem, an unfixed problem that was expected to be fixed, or an old problem.

Not a new thing. It can happen when a PQ is reset (by us) or with copies of PQs.

What is the function of "Offline Pocket Queries"? (I uploaded a file just to see if I could make sense of it but I can't.)

I was wondering that myself. :D

I think that is the ability to download your PQ's to your phone with an App like the geocaching app. I am able to download PQ's to my Iphone but only if I have already run one from the site.

This is just a guess.

Good guess. This lets you massage the data offline and reupload (say with adjusted coords for puzzles) to the site.

Full explanation here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4086591

Edited by OpinioNate

Not a new thing. It can happen when a PQ is reset (by us) or with copies of PQs.

I don't understand.

I made a copy of a PQ. (Run time shows "never run")

I check it to run today.

It "runs" and shows time of 10/6/2009 12:00:00 AM

No output was received.

My interpretation is the PQ failed to run and counts against my 5 today. Not good from my point of view.

I don't understand.

I made a copy of a PQ. (Run time shows "never run")

I check it to run today.

It "runs" and shows time of 10/6/2009 12:00:00 AM

No output was received.

My interpretation is the PQ failed to run and counts against my 5 today. Not good from my point of view.

Well there is a problem with PQs which I referred to in a couple other threads, so I think this evidence is not causation. We'll look into it deeper.