Permission

runner_one

I have an idea for a Earthcache and the location in on a public right of way with plenty of parking.

This is not a park or other managed location its just an interesting feature along a state road. Earthcache.org states that permission for all earthcaches must be included for your cache to be considered. How or who do you contact for permission on a public right of way? By the way, the road is a state maintained highway in Tennessee.

Im not a expert, but on the submittal portion of the EC form, for type of land, phone number and name of land manager, I type in "public road/right of way". This is what has worked for me in the past and in some of my recent write ups. Now be aware that the rules guidelines change often without notice.

Keep in mind if the road goes through a state park or national forest you will need the land managers name regardless if the site is along the side of the road.

Edited by Cav Scout

Any luck with your new EC idea? I've noticed its taking over a month to get earthcaches approved, so be patient :D

I have an idea for a Earthcache and the location in on a public right of way with plenty of parking.

This is not a park or other managed location its just an interesting feature along a state road. Earthcache.org states that permission for all earthcaches must be included for your cache to be considered. How or who do you contact for permission on a public right of way? By the way, the road is a state maintained highway in Tennessee.

Im not a expert, but on the submittal portion of the EC form, for type of land, phone number and name of land manager, I type in "public road/right of way". This is what has worked for me in the past and in some of my recent write ups. Now be aware that the rules guidelines change often without notice.

Keep in mind if the road goes through a state park or national forest you will need the land managers name regardless if the site is along the side of the road.

Just got around to submitting it This Monday, we will wait and see.

Just got around to submitting it This Monday, we will wait and see.

Any word yet? I am very intrested in hearing your out come. I am also "stuck" on this point for my EC.

Has anyone else had issues with BLM land permissions?

Edited by AHOLLYS

Has anyone else had issues with BLM land permissions?

I have only worked with the BLM at one National Monument. They took quite a while to get back to me, but in the end, they were helpful and approved all but one. The one they didn't approve was along a road that is slated to be abandoned in thier new plan for the area.

My current hold up is the National Forest. My requests are low priority, so I've had about 20 in Inyo National Forest waiting for about a year, 5 in Klammath National Forest for about 3 months, and 7 in the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness for a couple of months.

They are short staffed and have had a few fires to deal with. As the master says, "Patience Grasshopper."

It seems to take a long time to get earthcache approved these days. I submitted a form october 18th and I am still waiting for a response from GSA ;) . I will start to snowing long before I can get this cache approved. Since it is not available in winter as you would normally expect for an earthcache, I will have to wait untll spring to enable it.

My third earthcache just got published - HAPPINESS!

but I immediately had to disable it. SADNESS.

Permission was given, I submitted the listing, further permission was determined to be needed... so now I wait!

Hey any update on this? I am curious.

I just talked to the contact today - they are getting a new manager after the first of the year, so no action until then, and he kept telling me that it wouldn't be their first priority to handle - which was pretty obvious, I'd hardly expect it to be.

My sense of humor went over his head, too. ;) But it's pretty weird, so I can't hold it against him. Made a few changes to the listing at his request.

I just talked to the contact today - they are getting a new manager after the first of the year, so no action until then, and he kept telling me that it wouldn't be their first priority to handle - which was pretty obvious, I'd hardly expect it to be.

I always think an earthcache should be easy, as long as people are walking along a public trail (or in an area that is otherwise open to all), what is there to approve simply because someone looks at a gpsr and notes things of geological interest. Then I read things, as in your proposed earthcache, about the agency having to make a Compatability Determination. I can only imagine what that would entail. And I realize that nothing is as easy as it seems. No wonder some of the earthcaches take such a long time to get approved.

I always think an earthcache should be easy, as long as people are walking along a public trail (or in an area that is otherwise open to all), what is there to approve simply because someone looks at a gpsr and notes things of geological interest. Then I read things, as in your proposed earthcache, about the agency having to make a Compatability Determination. I can only imagine what that would entail. And I realize that nothing is as easy as it seems. No wonder some of the earthcaches take such a long time to get approved.

Hey folks, we have been working with the National Park (Blue Ridge Parkway) people for weeks. There is a letter between the National Parks and GSA of which I attached a copy to an email to sort of grease the skids, so-to-speak. It may have helped, but I couldn't tell. After a few phone calls and some additional emails, I finally got permission which means approval to develop the EC! WHEW! Now to only get one approved by GSA. Yep, we made the deadline!

Talking about red tape, our first Parkway EC is viewed from a public overlook that isn't even on a public trail! It's a pull-off that has a spectacular view of a wonderful peak of Grandfather Mountain. Nothing to trample down here but the asphalt! Don't get me wrong, even though I disagreed with needing permission for public parks, maybe it is a good idea after all. I am grateful for the permission. :)

This post has been edited to clarify just what approval/permission means!

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

It *is* pretty frustrating, but what can you do? Those are the rules... :)