For those considering an iPhone for geocaching

The GPS functions seem to mimic the nuvi that I'm used to. Not sure what the specs are for waypoint capacity - hope it's 1000 like the current ones (like the 255, 265, etc.).

Downside for me is that it's on the AT&T network - not so great around here - bad coverage. If it were on Verizon, I'd seriously consider it. Well, maybe wait til the next model....

The GPS functions seem to mimic the nuvi that I'm used to. Not sure what the specs are for waypoint capacity - hope it's 1000 like the current ones (like the 255, 265, etc.).

Downside for me is that it's on the AT&T network - not so great around here - bad coverage. If it were on Verizon, I'd seriously consider it. Well, maybe wait til the next model....

I don't know how many waypoints can be downloaded but it *does* come with either U.S. or Europe navigator maps (I assume the same as what's on the Nuvi) with over 6 million points of interest preloaded. It also geotags SMS, Email, and photographs and runs on a Linux based O/S. I'm still trying to find out a bit more about the browser that it uses, but I suspect that it's something with HTML5 support. I read on one site that the browser supports location based services which would indicate that it probably uses the geolocation api associated with the HTML 5 spec. If that's the case, a web based app (rather than a native app like the Groundspeak iPhone app) would be produced to make this a really nice paperless geocaching platform.

From Android Community:

Garmin-ASUS have confirmed that, following the launch of their nuvifone G60 sometime in the second half of 2009, they will switch to solely using Android and Windows Mobile in future devices. The first Android-based Garmin-ASUS device will apparently arrive at the end of the year, earlier than previously suggested.

The change will mean that the G60 will be the only device to use Garmin-ASUS’ home-grown Linux OS, the difficult development of which has been blamed for the GPS-centric handset’s delay. The partnership’s other device, the nuvifone M20, runs the Windows Mobile OS.

Nice but, it's just a GPS/phone,, not a GPS/PDA/phone.. and running a proprietary O/S so, probably no additional apps available for it to do other things like you can with an iPhone, or WinMo phone or Blackberry or the new Palm Pre..

Is it any more rugged than standard cellphones? I'd LIKE to like it but, it's too narrow focused to hold my interest very long..

Edited by NordicMan

Nice but, it's just a GPS/phone,, not a GPS/PDA/phone.. and running a proprietary O/S so, probably no additional apps available for it to do other things like you can with an iPhone, or WinMo phone or Blackberry or the new Palm Pre..

Is it any more rugged than standard cellphones? I'd LIKE to like it but, it's too narrow focused to hold my interest very long..

My wife and I both had the Iphone and used it for caching ... but sadly, it sucked the battery dry very quickly. Not to mention, the back of our phones got very hot and we were afraid that it was frying something up inside. We got rid of our iPhones and got Crackberrys which isn't all that bad with Cacheberry.

-TP

For a number of reasons, we recently needed to upgrade our service and I was sorry I could not wait for the nuviphone. I have a windows mobile ASUS pda/gpsr - the gpsr works great, whereigos run as smoothly as they get, and the Garmin Mobile provides clear directions. The Garmin mobile software provides driving directions to caches, but as far as I can tell, additional programs are needed to get to the cache itself (and provide paperless capabilities).

All this made the Garmin-ASUS phone seem very interesting. However the Linux OS on the M60 is less appealing because I presume the applications will be somewhat limited (and would not support whereigos).

I suppose at this point, by the time my new contract is up, the nuviphone bugs will have been worked out on whatever operating system it will be using at the time. And in the meantime, I am learning to adapt to the Iphone. But I trust people will be posting about how the nuviphone can be adapted for caching after it is released.