Thoughts prior to purchasing.

NNicholas4

I just got back into this after a long hiatus. I need to update my GPS unit but I thought I'd ask the professionals before I pulled the pin and made the purchase.

I'm considering the Colorado 400T because:

I'm not thrilled with the touchscreen of the Oregon.

I'm excited about paperless caching.

I dig the wheel and think it would be easy to operate with my big hands.

Aside from geocaching, I'd also like to use this unit for bicycle AND motorcycle navigation. I know I'm going to need additional maps and I will purchase those later.

I do have an iPhone 3Gs with the Groundspeak app which I love, however if I go on a long hike, I want to leave my phone in the car so that I don't damage it. For this reason, I need to have all the cache info on the GPS. With paperless caching can I put descriptions, logs, hints and picture galleries on it?

Lastly, I'm planning a trip to Chicago (I live in OC, California) and I will be doing mostly walking while I'm there. I would love to have my GPS on me the whole time and log my track as I walk around the city. Is there a way I can export my track and lay it over a google map, so that I can show my family the path I walked around the city? With my GPS even get a strong signal with all of the tall buildings in downtown Chicago?

[EDIT:] I'm a mac user, anything I need to know about that?

Thanks for looking over my questions.

Edited by NNicholas4

The paperless geocaching mode is described here: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/geocaching, but it includes just about everything you've asked for except the pictures.

Sensitivity of the unit in urban areas is good but even the best receivers today can have problems in really tall urban canyons. Most likely the CO won't lose reception and you'll get a track it just may not be super accurate if there are big buildings around, but it will do as well as any high sensitivity receiver on the market today.

The only thing you should consider about the CO is Garmin's future plans for the unit. While not official there are a lot of indications that Garmin may be putting the device in "maintenance mode", meaning you might get occasional bug fixes but you probably won't see any new features. The Oregon are (and have been) getting updates regularly with new features (granted mostly minor). You will get better prices on the CO right now which to me would be about the only reason to go with a CO over an OR, the touch screen is really much easier to use than the RockNRoller.

This page also compares the two:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+Oregon

If your getting a really good deal get the 400T, otherwise get the 300...not sure where you are at, but around here the local Best Buy stores have the Colorado 300 for $250...I just picked one up about 3-4 weeks ago and I really like it. I have Topo 2008 and CN 2010 plus the free maps at gpsfiledepot as well. With all the latest updates I have yet to experience any issues with mine at all. I just added the premium membership here as well and have it loaded up with the areas around home and where I visit normally so far and its great having all the info right there. Hard to believe I did so well with my old unit without using any hints or descriptions at all.

I love the Oregon. I bought the 300 and use the topo maps that I already owned. The ability to paperless cache is awsome. I used to carry a pda, but something would always end screwing up and I would be without the info.

I have big fingers and I solved that by putting a screen protector on the unit and use a stylis.

I love the Oregon. I bought the 300 and use the topo maps that I already owned. The ability to paperless cache is awsome. I used to carry a pda, but something would always end screwing up and I would be without the info.

I have big fingers and I solved that by putting a screen protector on the unit and use a stylis.

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to use a stylus because the idea here is to carry as little as possible. I've found the cheapest CO400t for around $350. Seem like a good deal?

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to use a stylus because the idea here is to carry as little as possible. I've found the cheapest CO400t for around $350. Seem like a good deal?

$298 at QVC -> Colorado 300

Use the $50 difference to go towards the 24k maps and/or the City Navigator.

What is their return policy? I want to make sure that I can return it, if it is not what I want after I try it out for a while.

Just my 2 cents on the Oregons (since I got one) I have the 300 and it's awesome. Don't let the touch-screen scare you - I have HUGE hands and have no troubles. I admit I have been known to tap on it with my pen instead of my finger, but since I always carry the pen with me caching anyway I don't consider it extra gear.... nothing like finding a cache, but not having any way to sign the log....

But nothing against the colorado's either - everyone I've talked to that has them likes them.

I have a CO 400T and have used it in downtown Chicago a couple of times. As in most "urban canyons" you have some accuracy issues, but they are not that bad. It is mostly like wondering from one side of the street to the other. When you stop at a intersection, you can usually get some better reception. So yes it will work. I love my 400T, but you should consider the 300 and get some free maps at gpsfiledepot. I really like the wheel.