First to Find

COMC

Whats the big deal with FTF? All it means in 99% of cases is someone sits on their computer waiting for a new cache. Now if the FTF goes for a couple of days before it is found that means something. I get a real charge out of logs describing how they ran their kids over in the drive trying to get the FTF. Lets stop this nonsense!

Whats the big deal with FTF? All it means in 99% of cases is someone sits on their computer waiting for a new cache. Now if the FTF goes for a couple of days before it is found that means something. I get a real charge out of logs describing how they ran their kids over in the drive trying to get the FTF. Lets stop this nonsense!

Some people enjoy being there first. What is nonsense to you may be fun to others. I personally think it's nonsense, but heck if people have fun going after FTFs (as long as they don't break park rules, etc.) then who am I to tell them not to?

I find wading through swamps, climbing steep hills and getting my legs torn up in the underbrush to be fun. Many other geocachers might not get that. As they say, different strokes...

Then again once in a while you get to do all of the above.

What's an "FTF"? :)

I frequently say that on "FTF" posts for two reasons:

1) it really bothers one particular forum member for some reason

and

2) there is no official thing as an "FTF", and the obsession with it strikes me as being very close to another particular obsession with being the first to do something.

Edited by knowschad

and

2) there is no official thing as an "FTF", and the obsession with it strikes me as being very close to another particular obsession with being the first to do something.

There are many different quirks in this geocaching game---some like to grab bugs--some like to dip bugs --some like to discover bugs--some like the challenge of an unknown and unfound cache hunt--in the latter the chances of bad co-ords are a possibility, there is usually no geo-trail to lead you to your find and yes it gives you a reason to jump in your car or hike a mile sometimes trying to be the first finder.----many things in this game does not have to be recognized by Groundspeak to be enjoyable --if you don't like the "FTF" challenge then just do your own thing and enjoy it.

FTF is a accronym for First to Find as far as some are concerned but equally you could write it if you were Fourth to find, Fifth to Find or indeed 40 - 59th to find. lol

I enjoy a bit of a chase on a time limit so I do one every now and again. But the main reason I cache is for the chasing something and having a walk/hike to get fit. Mostly I dont care where I come on the leaderboard (its not like theres a geocaching olympics or anything).

But live and let live is what I say. I would doubt anyone has run their kids over to get a FTF. But I totally get the reason for your exagerated melodrama, If your so disgusted though, just dont do it and let others do what they wanna do. Its a free country the last time I checked!!

and

There are many different quirks in this geocaching game---some like to grab bugs--some like to dip bugs --some like to discover bugs--some like the challenge of an unknown and unfound cache hunt--in the latter the chances of bad co-ords are a possibility, there is usually no geo-trail to lead you to your find and yes it gives you a reason to jump in your car or hike a mile sometimes trying to be the first finder.----many things in this game does not have to be recognized by Groundspeak to be enjoyable --if you don't like the "FTF" challenge then just do your own thing and enjoy it.

Yes, many different quirks, and we all play the game the way we want to. Likewise with forum posting.

2) there is no official thing as an "FTF"

If by "official" you mean "mentioned somewhere on Groundspeak", prepare to be educated.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...kbarticleid=335

There, that's not that bad, is it?

Ouch!!! That hurt.

"Dreaming of being the first to find a geocache? "

I guess the bolded part is what is important here, right? :)

Edited by knowschad
"Dreaming of being the first to find a geocache? "

Dreaming is good. Or so some say. Just see Nightmare on Elm Street.

Oh. Wait...

Anyway, the only problem I have with your "what is a FTF" question is that every once in a while someone new here will explain it to you, and I feel bad for them. It's almost as bad as one of those guys genuinely outraged by hamsters in geocaches.

I have a couple of funny FTF stories I went out on a FTF and one cacher showed up with his shirt inside out he left in such a hurry. Then just a few days ago I met another cacher at a FTF and he still had soap on himself, he said that he was in the shower when the FTF was published so he jumped right outta the shower to get it. It is a craze but I actually enjoy it....I meet a lot of cachers on FTFs. Sometimes it is like a mini event.

Surprised Knight 2000 hasn't started his FTF rant by now. LOL

ScubaSonic

That "FTF" feeling...well, its like...

putting on that fresh pair of underwear right out of the dryer while they are still warm...

It's like being first in taking a bath in a family of 8 that shares their bathwater...

It's like cracking open that ice cold Pepsi and smelling the CO2 as it escapes bringing with it the smell....

It's like that first kiss....

It's like that feeling when you look out and see a perfect winters day with everything in white covered by freshly fallen snow...

It's a lust that once you get a taste of, you are never the same again. many a young man have lost themselves to the fever of the FTF.

I am always the First to Find...right after the previous finder.

What was that about outraged hamsters? I'm surprised; they look so mild mannered.

Hamsters, after generations of being beaten down by larger and more agrgressive rodents, have, almost by instinct, developed an inability to express their emotions. Male hamsters often make poor geocachers due to a reluctance to ask for directions. But I digress. That's why so many hamsters today are in therapy today. Things are changing though. Generation W hamsters have become more rebellious, especially after a tequila binge, and are now showing signs of actually becoming perturbed. For more information, I suggest that you read my book, "Hamsters are from Mars, Gerbils are from Venus".

The Rodent Doctor.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

The thing I find most nonsensical is claiming "first to log online" which loosely translated means "was too slow and am ****** off not being FTF"

I have a friend who's a crazy FTF hound. Hundreds of them so far. He will walk past older caches that he hasn't found on a trail in order to get to the new cache quicker and beat someone to the find.

He says he likes finding the caches in their pure state as placed by the owner.

Everyone caches for different reasons. There's no right or wrong.

I have a friend who's a crazy FTF hound. Hundreds of them so far. He will walk past older caches that he hasn't found on a trail in order to get to the new cache quicker and beat someone to the find.

I would do the same thing, nothing wrong with that only difference would be is I would get the older ones on the way out after grabbing the FTF.

ScubaSonic

If FTF's aren't important, why we discussing them again? I find that those complaining most about FTF's are those cachers incapable of actually putting the work into getting them.

I like getting FTF, it's kind of an adrenalin rush that you get when your getting ready for a first date...ok so I have only had three first dates, and will never have them any more since my third one was the charmer that got me :P . Anyway, my husband doesn't get into it like I do, we actually went after one together, he just thought of it as another find.

OK, here's my complaint, the people who log FTF wrong, on the ones that have been out for a while and just have a new log...etc, but then there are lots of things to complain about in the caching world...logging your own finds, not doing CITO, not maintaining caches, and not to mention just dragging stuff out in the formus...don't you just hate the people who keep bringing the same topics up over, and over and over.........................................................................................................................................

(sorry I'll cut you off now because this could go on forever) :)

The thing I find most nonsensical is claiming "first to log online" which loosely translated means "was too slow and am ****** off not being FTF"

I remember doing that on one of yours I think, we're not FTF hounds, I just found it funny :)

Hmmmm seems to me that someone is a lttle POed that they missed out on 1 to many FTFs themselves..... :)

ScubaSonic

Surprised Knight 2000 hasn't started his FTF rant by now. LOL

ScubaSonic

I have no problem with FTF folks! :) I just hate all the gloating and smileys that some accompany some folks actual and online logs. (Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back! You didn't find a cure for cancer, you grabbed that film can before me- whoopie-doo. :D:drama: )

It's not for everyone but if other people enjoy it, and they aren't gloating everywhere, then just look the other way OP. They are having fun! I find it much more fun when my wife and I do it. IT. No, FTF, silly. It will come in at 1 am or something and she'll be like, let'g go and we sneak around at night. hehehe

For extra added fun when you get there first, sign... er. Nevermind. :):)

I wish there were more cachers that didn't like to do FTF runs.

:drama::):D

That way they would be mine.... All mine. :)

I do agree that it is rediculous how people posture around finding them. Yeah, like it's a cure for cancer or something.

But I did go out for one and met these fine people I quoted above, among many others. It was a lot of fun for the social aspect. I didn't care I wasn't first there, I was just glad to be able to talk to people about geocaching and have them know what I'm talking about for a change.

I don't get many chances to meet other cachers so I'll probably head out again some day on a FTF just to meet the locals.