How can I take over a cache for a member who has passed away?

Artsifrtsy

I was checking on a cache nearby my home because I had seen in the logs that it had been muggled. After contacting the owner of the cache I found out from his wife that he has passed away. I would be willing to replace and take care of this cache in his memory if someone could tell me if it is possible or permitted.

Edited by Artsifrtsy

I was checking on a cache nearby my home because I had seen in the logs that it had been muggled. After contacting the owner of the cache I found out from his wife that he has passed away. I would be willing to replace and take care of this cache in his memory if someone could tell me if it is possible or permitted.

I don't have your answer but just wanted to say that I think that what you'd like to do is really neat and it's nice to think that your own cache might have the ability to live beyond any of us. :)

You cannot. The cache owner has to participate in the adoption, and since he is no longer around, the adoption cannot happen. Groundspeak will not do "forced" adoptions anymore.

You have 2 options, take it upon your self to maintain it. Add it to you watchlist and follow all the logs and do maintenance as needed.

or

When it develops problems and isn't being maintained, post a Needs Archived and then once it's gone, hide your own there.

Edited by Skippermark
I would be willing to replace and take care of this cache in his memory if someone could tell me if it is possible or permitted.
As for adoption: Unless you can find a friend or family member who had his account information, it's not going to be possible. And if it's not possible, best you can do is file a SBA and place a new one there.

Otherwise, you can put it back to rights and keep it in good shape for as long as you like.

Edited by ecanderson

I have been in contact with his wife - she does not cache, but was so happy to hear that someone might be willing to take it on. I have already been in contact with the property owner. Not sure the wife has his membership info. I'll check out the other thread. The cache is gone as of last week - sad, it was a very cool wooden box, one of my favorite finds.

A very well liked cacher in the area dropped dead from a heart attack about a year ago. His wife didn't cache and didn't have the account info.One of the area reviewers was a good caching friend of his. Even with his position, he couldn't get they adopted out.

He arranged for area cachers to maintain the persons caches. All of them are covered. In fact, a few were replaced a few weeks ago.

Try contacting the owners wife. We had the same thing happen out here. She wanted to know what to do with the hides. I suggested either leaving them alone for cachers to remember them by hoping cachers will maintain them or ask her if she knows his password and adopt them out. If they have a local cache group they can list them there for adoption.

It is adopted and will be replaced this weekend - coincidentally I happen to have a geocoin that the original owner had placed in it - It will be among the goodies that we place in the new cache.

The owners wife told me that her husband would ask her to pull over to pick up a quick cache on the way to the hospital even in the last week of his like - we felt we just had to keep it going. It was the only cache he had ever placed.

I found out from Groundspeak that I can adopt it - we decided that we would prefer to adopt it even though it has been muggled - we will put it back just as it was.

How did that happen? I thought adoptions could only go through if the owner participated. ;)

Just re-read your post and maybe the owner's wife spoke with GS and said it was okay in case she didn't have his log in info.

Snoogans wouldn't be happy if that was his cache because it would no longer show as one of his hides.

Edited by Skippermark
It was the only cache he had ever placed.
Ah, now THERE'S a piece of information that we didn't have before. Under those circumstances, it wouldn't rate as "just another cache" to friends and family, so the extra effort makes sense. That might also explain how gc.com went the extra mile as well. Glad to hear that it worked out that way.

His wife was able to access the info - Groundspeak sent me the links and I put in the GC number for her - she clicked the links and I got the notice.

At the time I started down this road I didn't really know that it was his only cache. His family is quite glad to see it go on -

Thanks for all your help!

Having just gone through this myself, I can definitely agree that each situation may need to be handled as appropriate rather than have some one-size-fits-all rule. We worked together and both had access to each other's accounts so I was easily able to adopt his caches. More problematic was the account he set up to hold caches and events that were essentially owned by the entire state caching community. I am in the process of adopting those out to as many of the original placers as possible. On top of that, he built and ran the state caching website and I don't have those skills. A great cacher has stepped up to help and I hope he will get assistance when needed from other locals. It is hard enough to lose someone suddenly without having to fight over whether his memory can be preserved in the caching world.