Bringing geocaching to summer camp

GreenStarsinTX

I'm a camping professional and I'm trying to incorporate a GPS lesson into our Outdoor Education curriculum, and eventually into our summer camp program. We have a grant that will get us a class set of GPS receivers.

Let's pretend that I have 15 - 20 of the Garmin eTrex Legend H.

Is there any way to take one GPSr out, mark waypoints, then somehow transfer them onto all of the other GPSrs? I understand that I can put my caches on geocaching.com and get them that way, but since I'm on private property and I don't want strangers coming onto the land when we have kids here, I don't want everyone to have access to them.

Thanks for your help.

EasyGPS can do this and is probably the best tool because it's free and very easy to use. Download the waypoints from one unit and use EasyGPS to transfer them the the rest.

GSAK is nice, but it will cost you money (after the trial period) and is a bit complicated to learn. Overkill for what you want to do.

Edited by briansnat

EasyGPS can do this and is probably the best tool because it's free and very easy to use. Download the waypoints from one unit and use EasyGPS to transfer them the the rest.

<snip>

Brian,

What is the advantage of EasyGPS over Mapsource for someone just wanting to transfer waypoints?

I ask because I just loaded my first PQ from Mapsource, already included with my GPSr, and it seemed simple.

I have played around with ExpertGPS some... And it seems more involved than Mapsource.

Steve.

I'm a camping professional and I'm trying to incorporate a GPS lesson into our Outdoor Education curriculum, and eventually into our summer camp program. We have a grant that will get us a class set of GPS receivers.

Let's pretend that I have 15 - 20 of the Garmin eTrex Legend H.

Is there any way to take one GPSr out, mark waypoints, then somehow transfer them onto all of the other GPSrs? I understand that I can put my caches on geocaching.com and get them that way, but since I'm on private property and I don't want strangers coming onto the land when we have kids here, I don't want everyone to have access to them.

Thanks for your help.

Wow! Cool program! Sigh - where was this technology when I was a camper?

We didn't even have it when I was a camp counsellor. (do they still call them that?) I taught kids how to interpret contour lines on a topographic map. :lol: And with a compass and string I had them step and mark out the word "CAMP" on the parade lawn. :)

I salute you for teaching kids this stuff. I just wanted to say that.