Garmin US Trailmaps

RangerR47

I have noticed that some trails are shown on 1:100 topo, and some are shown on 24k, but not all...And Im sure you can never really get them all as they change so much and it would take so long...but..has anyone tried the US Trailmaps option from Garmin? Are most trails and off road stuff on here? Or is there alot more than you can get on either Topo at least? Just wondering if its worth checking out...

I have noticed that some trails are shown on 1:100 topo, and some are shown on 24k, but not all...And Im sure you can never really get them all as they change so much and it would take so long...but..has anyone tried the US Trailmaps option from Garmin? Are most trails and off road stuff on here? Or is there alot more than you can get on either Topo at least? Just wondering if its worth checking out...

I tried to buy and download the Trailmaps available on the Garmin website but when it prompted me about my specific GPSr and registering it etc. I fell into this weird loop of endless registration that I couldn't break out of. Called Garmin tech support who confirmed there is a problem with this and that Tech Support Guyz have to resolve it on a case-by-case basis (wtf, over??). So, my case was sent to Tech Support and I am told to wait for them to contact me.

<<< flash forward three days >>>

Still no word from Garmin about my problem. I call back. I explain to them, again, I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY!

I get the same run around about the issue being in Tech Support. This was two weeks ago. I love my Legend HCx, it's been very reliable but Garmin, as a company, does not impress me one whit.

Did I mention my Delorme PN-30 is arriving today? Because, yeah... It is. I've had it with Garmin.

That is a shame, would have liked to hear from somebody that has used this and checked it out..sounds like in theory it would be a nice addon.Sorry to hear about the bad customer service. So at this point I suppose you will not get it even if they contact you back??

Heh... Sorry about the rant, you just managed to kind strike a wee little nerve there.

I don't anticipate hearing anything from Garmin and I've lost interest in any further attempts at giving them my money. Their loss. <shrug>

I'd really LIKE to try the trail maps, since the CS rep at Garmin told me they're pretty comprehensive and for only $10? Shoot, I spend that much on coffee every week. Plus, I really doubt I'll be letting go of my Legend any time soon, that ugly little thing has proven to be a solid performer and that's not something I give up easily. Still, Garmin really does tick me off... Hugely. I don't know that Delorme will be any better, but the maps they have for download completely blow away anything I've seen from Garmin so I'm willing to give them a chance to prove themselves.

As for the trailmaps though, I don't see how badly you could get burned for a lousy ten bucks. I'd say go for it.

The US Trailmaps is only available for equestrian trails and whitewater canoe/kayak trips. I have the canon/kayak maps on my Oregon and it seems to have pretty decent coverage for whitewater trips in New England.

But I'm not sure if this is really what the OP was looking for since the comment in the first post was relative to trails/roads missing in Topo. This is not a replacement for or an update of that data.

The US Trailmaps is only available for equestrian trails and whitewater canoe/kayak trips.

There are independent (and I believe free) trailmaps overlays for the northwest and southwest. From what I understand, these act as overlays for the existing garmin maps -- but I have not visited these areas since I learned about them