Dell Axim or similar: complete portable caching solution?

sataraid1

I need a portable solution for cache management when on the road. What I'm hoping is that a late-model PPC like an Axim X51V is the solution.

What I want to be able to do is:

1. Build and download a PQ via wifi.

2. Load the PQ into a management program for storage.

3. Send desired waypoints from the PPC to my Map60C.

4. Use the PPC in the field for paperless caching.

The information I have been able to find regarding this is incredibly shattershot. Most of it is centered around simply being able to view the GPX files for paperless caching, but that alone isn't enough to justify the new hardware, because my current Handspring Visor running Cachemate is already more than sufficient for paperless caching.

I know getting the PQ GPX file into the PPC isn't a problem, and I know there's lots of software to let me view said GPX file, but what about cache management? I currently use MacCaching on my Mac ... is there anything like that for PPC?

And the biggest issue seems to be concerning getting the PPC to talk to the Garmin GPS. There seem to be cables for letting the GPS send location data to the PPC for things like mapping applications and even Wherigo caching, but does that connection allow the PPC to send data to the GPSr?

If not, can the PPC send data via a USB cable? If the PPC can sync data via USB, can it talk to the GPSr?

If anyone is using this, or a similar setup, some help and information would be appreciated. Or if someone wants to recommend a similarly-priced PPC that's more appropriate for what I want to do, that would be great too. But it needs to be able to do everything I've listed above, otherwise there's no point in upgrading.

Thanks in advance.

I need a portable solution for cache management when on the road. What I'm hoping is that a late-model PPC like an Axim X51V is the solution.

What I want to be able to do is:

1. Build and download a PQ via wifi.

2. Load the PQ into a management program for storage.

3. Send desired waypoints from the PPC to my Map60C.

4. Use the PPC in the field for paperless caching.

The information I have been able to find regarding this is incredibly shattershot. Most of it is centered around simply being able to view the GPX files for paperless caching, but that alone isn't enough to justify the new hardware, because my current Handspring Visor running Cachemate is already more than sufficient for paperless caching.

I know getting the PQ GPX file into the PPC isn't a problem, and I know there's lots of software to let me view said GPX file, but what about cache management? I currently use MacCaching on my Mac ... is there anything like that for PPC?

And the biggest issue seems to be concerning getting the PPC to talk to the Garmin GPS. There seem to be cables for letting the GPS send location data to the PPC for things like mapping applications and even Wherigo caching, but does that connection allow the PPC to send data to the GPSr?

If not, can the PPC send data via a USB cable? If the PPC can sync data via USB, can it talk to the GPSr?

If anyone is using this, or a similar setup, some help and information would be appreciated. Or if someone wants to recommend a similarly-priced PPC that's more appropriate for what I want to do, that would be great too. But it needs to be able to do everything I've listed above, otherwise there's no point in upgrading.

Thanks in advance.

You need a special cable or adapter to use a USB device with the Dell Axim X50/51v. I found a better solution for paperless geocaching with a PDA was to:

1) Use a Dell Axim X50v (or a X51v) and upgrade it to LennySh's ROM of Windows Mobile 6.1

2) Get a SiRF Star III CompactFlash GPS receiver such as Holux GR-271, Globalsat BC-337, and there are several others available for under $30 used on eBay

3) Use GCzII Geocaching software

4) Install Google Maps (can be used with GCzII software)

5) Tether via BlueTooth to cell phone or via WiFi if available for Internet access

6) Recommended but not required: extended or mega-capacity battery, around $15-$20 in eBay

This does not require the use of ANY external GPS device so you only need one device, and allows for completely paperless geocaching. The software pulls caches located close to your current location, allows complete access to description, cache logs, hints, trackables, waypoints, Google Map images, and compass directions all from the PDA directly, it also allows adding field notes, posting cache logs, and everything else you would normally do from a PC WITHOUT needing a premium account or needing to mess with GPX/LOC files.

I know use this as my primary caching tool, it is so much less cumbersome than any other setup I have tried or seen others use and it works extremely well, the only issue is it is not weatherproof in any way whatsoever.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask...

Edited by acejavelin

I started out with using the Axim with cachemate. I found out it's really lots of work to carry the pda, carry a phone, plus using the gps.

I upgraded to using a Samsung Blackjack 2 then to the Samsung jack, cachemate for smartphone, GCzII software, with the built-in gps which both cachemate and GCzII software use. Also, google maps works great too with both programs.

There is still probably free blackjack 2 phones with a activation account.

I have to confess, I'm a little surprised that the issues I wanted to address directly have been a bust. No full-featured cache management software for PPC? The PPC can't talk directly to the GPSr for data transfer?

I'm beginning to think my suspicions about it not being possible are true.

Using PPC as a GPSr sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not willing to give up using my Map60C in the field. That, coupled with the fact that the PPC software mentioned above doesn't seem to be capable of storing or managing large numbers of caches is a dealbreaker.

So close, yet so far.

..how about grabbing a cheap Netbook & use it instead of a PDA?

If I can't find a PPC solution, that's probably what I'll do.

That would solve my cache management and waypoint loading problems on the road, and would even allow me to do map swaps on the GPS, but it would mean yet more hardware I have to take with me. The Axim (or similar) held promise of being an all-in-one solution at a very reasonable price.

You'd probably find a Netbook is waaayyy more versitile than a PDA as long as the extra "bulk" isn't a big concern..

I have a Asus N10 running dual boot Windows XP & Ubuntu. Nice big hard drive, nice big screen (compared to a PDA lol) and easy connectivity to my GPSr. I added a Bluetooth USB puck to the collection, now I have Microsoft Streets & Trips running on it as well as EasyGPS. The netbooks knows where I am! and can organize my Geocaches based on distance. You can also get extended life batteries for most Netbooks so you aren't tied to a power cord leash.

I recently got a Palm Pre PDA and am enjoying that too (almost an "all in one" solution in itself, but am still waiting for some streamlined Geocaching apps for it). Apparently I can "tether" it to my netbook to have internet access anywhere I have a cell phone connection.. haven't tried it yet but can't wait! In a couple weeks I'll be across the country on vacation & want to be able to have ready access to Geocaching during the trip.. that combo ought to do it :lol:

Edited by NordicMan