Hamsters?

sterni2009

I have just read about hamstercaching. So please tell me: Is it only a joke or is it true that there are people who hide real hamsters in caches? Please dont`t laugh about my question and please post serious answers. I am serious and tell you, that I have no idea about it. And I am concerned. Thank you!

It's a joke.

Anyone who put a hamster in a cache would be facing a lot of ethical scrutiny. Many laws and organizations against something like that.

I have just read about hamstercaching. So please tell me: Is it only a joke or is it true that there are people who hide real hamsters in caches? Please dont`t laugh about my question and please post serious answers. I am serious and tell you, that I have no idea about it. And I am concerned. Thank you!

Hampsters do very well in caches is they are placed properly.

However it is not as popular as it used to be, as the serious hampster traders have been turned off by degradation of swag (took hampster, left gerbil)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Have you heard of the book called "Gullible's Travels"?

However it is not as popular as it used to be, as the serious hampster traders have been turned off by degradation of swag (took hampster, left gerbil)

"Took hamster, left gerbil" :D:lol::P:)

man that is the funniest thing I have read in a while. Thank you.

I am so glad not everyone followed the instructions to leave only serious replies.

Since I'm not so creative I guess I'll have to leave a serious reply. Sorry.

Please note the date on the hamster caching thread. April 1st.

That thread was only open on that day.

Next april fools day maybe we'll do goldfish caching.

Edited by Sol seaker

"Took hamster, left gerbil" :D:lol::P:)

man that is the funniest thing I have read in a while. Thank you.

I am so glad not everyone followed the instructions to leave only serious replies.

Since I'm not so creative I guess I'll have to leave a serious reply. Sorry.

Please note the date on the hamster caching thread. April 1st.

That thread was only open on that day.

Next april fools day maybe we'll do something totally different.

Actually the whole Hamster Caching thing predates that April fools joke. There was a thread locked today that dealt with this topic. It was started on Sep 26 2007. link

Yeah... that's it. Just like they all said. Its just a joke. Really. Please ignore anyone that says anything different. We would NEVER do anything like that. Really. Nope. Not us. No live animals in caches. Uh uh. And even if we did, we'd certainly never admit it. Not here. Not in front of people that might not understand. Not that there is anything to not admit, you understand.

Excuse me, HAMSTER CACHING is real and is FUN! A new Bergie Bunch hide will be out in the next 10 days or so and it is a true HAMSTER cache. Hamsters will be inside and available. As soon as it is published, I will post the GC number here for you all to track. I have placed about 20 HAMSTERS in the past few months in caches, and as far as I know they are all doing quite well. No problems with food, water, etc...

Hamsters have a very long tradition here on the internet.

In fact, at just about the time the first newsgroup appeared, people began strange discussions about hamsters, often in relation to some unnatural act or another with subsequent explosions. There's no accounting for taste. For whatever reason, the lowly hamster became the focus of more jokes, fictional stories and discussions than you could possibly count. There's even a software package called Hamster to manage pulling in newsgroups.

The whole thing just took on a life of its own, and of course --- the tradition was perpetuated here.

Edited by ecanderson

sterni2009, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, sterni2009, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, sterni2009, there are hamstercaches. They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no hamstercaches. It would be as dreary as if there were no sterni2009's. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in hamsters! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the caches to catch a hamster, but even if they did not see a hamster being left in a cache, what would that prove? Nobody sees a traded hamster, but that is no sign that there are no hamsters. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, sterni2009, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Hamsters! Thank God! They live, and they live forever. A thousand years from now, sterni2009, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, they will continue to make glad the heart of geocachers.

Edited by The Leprechauns
sterni2009, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, sterni2009, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, sterni2009, there are hamstercaches. They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no hamstercaches. It would be as dreary as if there were no sterni2009's. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in hamsters! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the caches to catch a hamster, but even if they did not see a hamster being left in a cache, what would that prove? Nobody sees a traded hamster, but that is no sign that there are no hamsters. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, sterni2009, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Hamsters! Thank God! They live, and they live forever. A thousand years from now, sterni2009, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, they will continue to make glad the heart of geocachers.

That was beautiful. :D

I believe!

PS:

My wife's name is Virginia. She believes too.

Edited by Chumpo

Did we find some dried 'shrooms today Lep? :D

sterni2009,

Hamster caching is a very real subset of geocaching that has crawled down the paper towel tube only to be fired into the face of the community due to eco-terrorists sparking controversy.

Lucky for the subset, wile the community gets a proverbial cheek bone shattered, the hamsters themselves only get bruised and mildly scorched.

The best way to handle this subject is to quickly defend it then let it go back underground.

Your friend in the hunt,

Vater Araignee

A P.S. to the others

For shame, I saw the hints in your reply's. I understand the need to bring more in so we have more to find but I have to point out that you agreed to the TOS.

So please stop dropping hints. Once they believe, their HCsense will lead them there.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, sterni2009, in all this world there is nothing else real and

abiding.

Awesome post! I shall print it out and frame it, as well as try to put it as a sig line.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

For those who have pointed out that it relates to April 1st, please also note that Sterni is posting from Germany where perhaps that date might not be of significance. If so, Sterni - April 1st is known in the UK and some other countries as April Fool's Day where people play jokes on each other. On this occasion, someone (I think from Groundspeak?) chose to put up an amusing story about hamster caching. It was quite believable until we looked at the date and realised that they were just trying to fool us.

Further information about the day can be read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day

No hamsters were injured during the typing of this thread.

:D

For those who have pointed out that it relates to April 1st, please also note that Sterni is posting from Germany where perhaps that date might not be of significance. If so, Sterni - April 1st is known in the UK and some other countries as April Fool's Day where people play jokes on each other. On this occasion, someone (I think from Groundspeak?) chose to put up an amusing story about hamster caching. It was quite believable until we looked at the date and realised that they were just trying to fool us.

Further information about the day can be read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day

No hamsters were injured during the typing of this thread.

:D

Missed post #10 didn't ya?

To which one are you referring?

Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist

by Globe Pequot

Gullible's Travels: Signing a Lease without Getting Suckered

By Robert Price

Gullible's Travels, a 1917 book by Ring Lardner

Gullible's Travels, a 2002 novel by Matt Hughes

Gullible's Travels, a 2000 recording by Marc Gunn

Gullible's Travels, a book by Cash Peters

Gullible's Travels, a book by Billy Connolly

Gullible's Travels, a screenplay by Ron J. Friedman and Steve Bencich

To which one are you referring?

Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist

by Globe Pequot

Gullible's Travels: Signing a Lease without Getting Suckered

By Robert Price

Gullible's Travels, a 1917 book by Ring Lardner

Gullible's Travels, a 2002 novel by Matt Hughes

Gullible's Travels, a 2000 recording by Marc Gunn

Gullible's Travels, a book by Cash Peters

Gullible's Travels, a book by Billy Connolly

Gullible's Travels, a screenplay by Ron J. Friedman and Steve Bencich

Congratulations! In a lifetime of using that line you are the first to call me on it.

cheers.gif

Perhaps it is time for a new book.

Gullible's Travels. A how to instructing the reader in the art of suspending their disbelief.

Don't be concerned; you just have to believe.

After reading this thread I was getting so inspired to create some hamster caches of my own...

But then I ran the search engine on Groundspeak and came up with over 50 hamster caches already out there.

I guess out of 909000 caches, 50 isn't that many, but maybe this IS old news.

so what is the new cache trend coming to these days?

Anyone have any ideas? You guys are so creative I'm sure you've got ideas.

After reading this thread I was getting so inspired to create some hamster caches of my own...

But then I ran the search engine on Groundspeak and came up with over 50 hamster caches already out there.

Yeah, they are so common around here that we call them LHC'S. Much like LPCs. You will frequently hear them discussed at geocaching events as in "Yeah, it was just another LHC. No big deal." (LHC = "Live Hamster Cache") Everyone in on the conversation then groans in unison. Very predictable. What we really need is more goat caches.

Yeah, they are so common around here that we call them LHC'S. Much like LPCs. You will frequently hear them discussed at geocaching events as in "Yeah, it was just another LHC. No big deal." (LHC = "Live Hamster Cache") Everyone in on the conversation then groans in unison. Very predictable. What we really need is more goat caches.

Here's one I found. It was rated a five for terrain but was a large container size. Really good camo job on this one.

tree-climbing-goats.jpg

Yeah... that's it. Just like they all said. Its just a joke. Really. Please ignore anyone that says anything different. We would NEVER do anything like that. Really. Nope. Not us. No live animals in caches. Uh uh. And even if we did, we'd certainly never admit it. Not here. Not in front of people that might not understand. Not that there is anything to not admit, you understand.

Emphasis mine. :):D:P

Oh. You mean hamsters as trade items.

Now I get it.

This is the first time I’ve ever opened one of these threads. Just goes to show what my assumptions are worth. All this time I’ve been imagining teeny tiny little Garmins, itty bitty little hiking sticks, LPCs published as 5/5s and nanos listed as "large."

Man, don’t I feel silly. :)

I am disturbed by all the gerbil hate.

In the three years I worked in the pet department of a local retail chain I was never ever bitten by a gerbil. Hamsters- hundreds. "Dwarf Siberian" hamsters- COUNTLESS times.

(Guinea pig only once. But she was provoked and backed into a corner in housewares. In retrospect, I should have used the tranq gun on that one.)