My 60Cx is blind.

Went to do a bit of caching today and my 60Cx does not seem to be able to see any satellites. Has anyone had this happen? If so how did you resolve the problem?

I have a 60CS that is basically a useless brick. The reception is weak under the best of circumstances and bad or non existent under more severe conditions. Every now and then someone comes along with a similar 60 question, but nobody ever has an answer. I don't recall anybody ever making a similar complaint about 76CS - 76CSx units. I have two 76CS units and they have never had a problem. However a friend and I also have identical problems with lightly used GPS76 - GPS76S units. They just suddenly lock up on a virtually blank screen, with only one horizontal line lightly visible.

I think Garmin has made specific lots of lemons and only replace them if you complain soon enough AND loud enough. Everybody also says how great their customer service is. They wouldn't fix (for free) a crappy rocker switch for me. I like Garmins that work, but sometimes you just have to take your lumps. Good luck. I hope you get a better answer, but don't hold your breath.

Went to do a bit of caching today and my 60Cx does not seem to be able to see any satellites. Has anyone had this happen? If so how did you resolve the problem?

Funny thing but lots of people are losing their satellites today. Here's a link describing one drastic fix.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSMa...Sx/message/4820

It describes a "hard reset" by pressing Enter and Page while powering up. This supposedly wipes out all your settings, and in memory data. I never tried it, but if you are desparate enough it might help.

You didn't say if you have a PC or a Mac.

If you are running Windows, download a copy of Garmin's Web Updater. Hook your 60Cx up to it, and run the updater at least twice. The current 60Csx software version is 4.00 or higher the GPS Software Version is 3.00. I haven't a clue why there are two software versions.

Check your chipset software version

Setup>System>Menu>Software Version> GPS Software Version

If it is 0.00 there are threads which deal with this problem but I can't find them at the moment. Best that I recall, running Web Updater several times sometimes fixes it, otherwise there is a handy link to another site where you can find it (which I can't find at the moment, either).

Edit: Hah, found it.

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/chipset_firmware/Type_G/

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Cache

Check your chipset software version

Setup>System>Menu>Software Version> GPS Software Version

If it is 0.00 there are threads which deal with this problem but I can't find them at the moment. Best that I recall, running Web Updater several times sometimes fixes it, otherwise there is a handy link to another site where you can find it (which I can't find at the moment, either).

Edit: Hah, found it.

You are on to something. Software Version 4.00. GPS Software Version 0.00. Off to do more updates.

Thank you.

I just updated the software in my 60Cx and the first result was 4.00 and 0.00. Had to go back and do it again and check on Update Chipset Type G. Once that installed, all was well.

Now trying to find decent maps to download that will work with my Mac and BaseCamp.

I've lost track of the times I've run the web updater and it always comes back to GPS SW Version 0.00.

I just updated the software in my 60Cx and the first result was 4.00 and 0.00. Had to go back and do it again and check on Update Chipset Type G. Once that installed, all was well.

Now trying to find decent maps to download that will work with my Mac and BaseCamp.

I've lost track of the times I've run the web updater and it always comes back to GPS SW Version 0.00.

Before you spend an hour on hold with Garmin, you the Web Updater twice (or more) on the same install, I hope. The first sequence checks one type of software. If that's up to date, a second sequence in the same install checks for other software. I think this is what PA Oil Man is referring to.

Before you spend an hour on hold with Garmin, you the Web Updater twice (or more) on the same install, I hope. The first sequence checks one type of software. If that's up to date, a second sequence in the same install checks for other software. I think this is what PA Oil Man is referring to.

Yes, that is it.

I had numerous problems with the connections between my Mac and the Garmin today. Finally got the GPS working fine, but had some problems getting some 3rd party maps to download to it from the Mac. Gave up for now.

Web Updater wouldn't do it for me when it happened to mine, either. As I recall, the latest on the site that I linked to didn't work either and I ended up installing the next-to-newest from there and then running Web Updater after that to get it back to the latest version. It's been a while since I did it, could be the latest from the other site is fine now...

Different SD card and still no joy.

Remove the micro SD card when you do any updates, just to remove any possible conflicts. They only way to fix this issue(chipset listed as 0.00) is to install the chipset software manually.

I'm not sure why but both the people I helped recently fix this issue also couln't get the chipset to update with the most current from this website.

They ended up loading the older 2.90 chipset and then were able to use the webupdater to get the most current.

Remove the micro SD card when you do any updates, just to remove any possible conflicts. They only way to fix this issue(chipset listed as 0.00) is to install the chipset software manually.

I'm not sure why but both the people I helped recently fix this issue also couln't get the chipset to update with the most current from this website.

They ended up loading the older 2.90 chipset and then were able to use the webupdater to get the most current.

I had tried it with the card removed, with a different card, with the original card back in after gently cleaning the contacts. Same results every time.

After literally hours of screwing with this thing and half a dozen emails back and forth with Garmin tech. support I have got it working. I had to use a computer that I had never loaded anything from Garmin on. I tried to load the drivers on it starting in the Firefox browser but they would not load properly. I then switched to Internet Explorer and the drivers loaded with no problem. I was then able to install the missing chipset software and now my GPS is working again. I used the old 2.60 version. Seems to me that the Firefox browser is some how corrupting the downloads.

I am going to uninstall my Garmin updater and drivers on my usual computers and try reinstalling them through IE.

Just happended exactly the same thing to me today (SOFT 4.0 chips et 0.00s ! Master reset to no avail ! Garmin firmware no better luck !

Gee I was upset ! Came across this post, loaded the perry chipset et voila ! WORKING !

THANKS THANKS !

PS: Of course had to use an old PC running XP as my current portable on Vista couldn't load anything ! Did not even bother to look further, didn't install Mapsource either as I WANT TO GET RID OF THIS VISTA NON SENSE. I don't give a dadgum about how better looking Vista is, it is a HOG, too many trouble with too many soft I need and I am sick and tired to always look for solutions. After 30 years in computer, I grew up very tired that it is always such a pain for such gain ! I don't find that funny anymore !

Just wanted to thank you for the great directions on this old thread. While traveling for 15 days for GeoWoodstock VIII, my 60csx decided to stop acquiring satellites midway through the trip. So glad we had another 60csx with us, as we didn't have the time to sit & try to fix mine.

I prepared laptop with every conceivable backup incase of failure or data loss, but never thought of GPS failure.

Anyway, home now & had time to look into problem. I too had the Software version 0.00 problem. Turns out Jumpin' Jacks solution of going back to version 2.9, then updating chipset, then updating again to version 4.00 has me back in business. (Also, no trouble on PC running Vista & used Firefox to download.)

Since my husband had tried a few things before this, I unfortunately lost all my settings & custom icons, but just had to reinstall all that too.

Back in business. THANKS.

And for a moment there, we thought me might have to go out and buy the new 62 series. Darn. :blink:

Edited by wandering4cache