How many bears have you had to fist fight when out caching?

chrisrayn

I've had to fight two. Luckily, I had a salmon with me both times.

The first was near GC1KV0N, Manly Man - 1 in Bonham State Park, TX. I had my fish with me, as always, so when the bear started running toward me, I ran toward him. He was using the trail so he was moving a little faster and I was having to hop over fallen trees and boulders. When he got really close, I pulled out the fish, since I figured it was my best course of action, and when he got right up close to me, since it was the most obvious thing to do, I slapped the crap out of him with it. He had his big maw open, trying to bite me, but everytime he came in close, I'd fish-slap him. I was actually having fun for awhile, but I knew I had to finish with the cache pretty quickly, so I kicked the bear in the jollies and he fell over. Just as a consolation, since I felt sorry he was such a bad fighter, I let him have the fish. I got the smiley a few minutes after that and continued on my way.

The other was at an LPC next to a gas station in the business district in Plano, TX on Coit Rd. The ole' bear felt right at home in the concrete jungle. He actually came out of nowhere and nearly surprised me. I'd just signed the log for GC17C5W, Where's Wally #3 and, let me tell ya, I sure did find Wally. I didn't much appreciate the sneak attack but, since bears are pretty big wussies, I kind of understood. I had another fish with me and slapped him a few times with it, trying to keep him away from all of the Lexus and Lincoln models, and eventually just dropped the fish as he wasn't that good a fighter. I ended it by poking him in the eyes and he squealed and ran off down the Bluebonnet Trail. I threw the fish at the back of his head as he ran off and he fell over. Panzy. It's okay...I think he got a little of his pride back though when he ate that biker a little further up the trail. Bears are so sensitive...think they have to kill something just a few seconds after a fight or they aren't tough anymore. That cache has since been archived due to all the bear attacks.

So what about all of you? How many bear fights have you had? Did you actually manage to lose one, or have you done pretty well over all?

Our encounters with singles have all been one-sided, before and since getting into geocaching. The one real close call one, was with mama and three little-tyke supporters. We very slowly backed away without even muttering a word (I guess we won that one, too)!

You are right, for the most part, bears (black bears, anyway) are woosey.

What is a Lexus? A new style of Super Duty? :D:lol::P

I've met more than twenty bear on the trail. I'm not stupid enough to fight them. Either they go away, or I do. I've only argued with one. On the AT in Shenandoah National Park. "Please go away, bear. I need to keep hiking south." After fifteen minutes, the bear went away. Phew!

There was one that almost gave me a heart attack. North Jersey. I guess I was hiking too quietly. I went around a bend in the trail, and almost stepped on him. Okay. I missed him by about four feet. He took off through the mountain laurel. (And THAT must have hurt!) I couldn't move for fifteen minutes!

The subject says "FIST fight", not "FISH fight". :D Sorry...mentioned that just for the halibut.

What sort of salmon was it... a sockeye?

Gotta love great story-telling! Thanks.

I do believe you and I would get along out on a day of caching. Shortly after I hit submit, I realized I should have changed one letter to make the title more accurate. I also wondered who would first mention it.

That, my friend, is you. You think like me. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-)

The subject says "FIST fight", not "FISH fight". :D Sorry...mentioned that just for the halibut.

I do believe you and I would get along out on a day of caching. Shortly after I hit submit, I realized I should have changed one letter to make the title more accurate. I also wondered who would first mention it.

That, my friend, is you. You think like me. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-)

Ewww!! That was one grizzly pun!!

Ewww!! That was one grizzly pun!!

This thread is unbearable.

OK, I read this through the Viigo RSS reader on my Blackberry and I laughed so hard I was crying and couldn't breathe. I had to come to the thread and post that this by far was one of the funniest things I have read, if not, THE funniest. Thank you for this great laugh.

If you don't mind, I am going to quote your excerpt on the Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club forums for a great read with credit due you.

Only once here, well maybe twice if you consider it was the same bear twice in 5 minutes.

Finally chased him off with some sticks and rocks.

I did walk up on a mama and 2 cubs and a single male at the same time pre Geocaching. That was the worst experience I have ever encountered while out in the woods alone. Luckily all ended well after 20 minn of intense anxiety on my part

I wonder if this guy's a cacher:

Man kills bear with stick

I think the saddest thing is that a number of the people who left comments on the story are sympathizing with the bear and chastising the man for killing it.

Oh, and by the way, Obama is a filthy murderer for killing that fly, and Kanye is still an idiot.

Maybe we should give Kanye a stick and put him in the woods. If he dies, then he has received his punishment. If he survives, he regains his place as beloved flame-spittin rappa.

I mean it Was kind of rude what he did to Taylor Swift and all. Her music is real sweet, not meant to hurt nobody. Although I am kind of hearing those two songs a little too much right now. You know, the one about the Juliet and daddy said stay away from her or some such. And the belonging to me song too. That video actually was pretty good. She played the good little nerd and the bad little cheerleader. It's just on the radio I hear them so much, that i don't know. They've lost their luster. Same with that Pink song. Please don't leave me, I think it is. I wish that song would please leave, though, I've heard it so much. And what was with that little glittery heart she wore over her left boob during her number at the awards show? Seems like it'd be too inappropriate for TV for me. Although my girlfriend said her boobs are so small it's like she wasn't showing anything anyway. She says even if Pink had been topless it wouldn't have been as inappropriate as if Jessica Simpson was wearing shorts and a tanktop. She thinks Jessica Simpson is inappropriate in winter coats, though. And what was with that Lady Ga-Ga person? Creeped the hell out of me, that's for sure. Music doesn't make her seem that weird. If anything, the music makes her seem stupid. Oh, hey, I can't make my song line lengths the same amount of syllables, what should I do, oh, I know, I'll just REPEAT SOME SYLLABLES OVER AND OVER UNTIL THE LINES ARE THE SAME LENGTH, that'll make me smart. I love, love, love, love a man, man, man, and we make love as much as we can, can, can...see? I can do it too. Anybody can write lyrics with no rules. Seriously who is that stuff marketed towards? It's made with the intelligence of an infant and the subject matter of a sex addict. I guess there's a lot of stupid sex-addicts out there, cause she's making money.

So anyways, yeah, I guess the PETA people should just lay off Mr. Kills-Bear-with-Stick, in conclusion.

Edited by chrisrayn

hmmm....maybe bears would stop going after you if you stopped carrying fish around. Makes for smelly pockets anyway. And I agree with Isonzo - hamsters are better because they can run. Throw a fish at a bear and it just falls on the ground. You just gotta hope and pray the hamster runs in the opposite direction that you are.

I wonder if this guy's a cacher:

Man kills bear with stick

I think the saddest thing is that a number of the people who left comments on the story are sympathizing with the bear and chastising the man for killing it.

I won't get into the wrong or right of him killing the bear, but I will say that it was pretty ill-advised to walking around in bear country with dogs.

Too bad they had to kill the cubs.

Thanks but no thanks.....no fishacuffs for this boy after what I witnessed.I was entering a small community north of me and had slowed down to the city speed limit when woods on my right literally exploded!A black

bear exploded out of the woods in front of us,he was bleeding heavily from the shoulder area and his speed

was amazing!He didnt look both ways before he crossed the road.....he smashed into the treeline like a tank breaking 1-11/2" sapplings like tooth picks.I'd of handed over Hammy the Hamster if I was in his road that day........JP too!He was on an adrenelin ride, but the raw power I saw that day........You might wanna start carrying A 100 lb tuna for that activity.... :)