New and need help choosing a Garmin please!

arrowtor

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and GPS however I am an experienced hillwalker looking for more accurate navigation and to get into Geocaching with my girlfriend as it looks cool!

I am looking at three possibilities for a GPS, all Garmin - the Etrex Legend HCX, Etrex Vista HCX and GPS 60cx. I would like the ability to add maps, if possible, but am looking for some expert advice as to what would be a solid model, but with some features as I am tech literate. However I would like a colour screen!

All opinions on the above would be gratefully received, so thank you in advance.

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :)

All 3 of those units are solid proven performers. The Legend HCx and 60Cx are functionally pretty much identical just their size shape & button placement are different. The Vista HCx is like the Legend HCx except it has compass & altimeter feature so is usually a bit more $$'s. Personally I like the built-in compass so am willing to pay a bit extra for that.

All those units will accept additional maps. Street navigation maps that will allow the unit to give you turn-by-turn directions will cost you around $100 but is something you can buy later. Topo maps can be found for free!

What else do you need to know?

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :D

All 3 of those units are solid proven performers. The Legend HCx and 60Cx are functionally pretty much identical just their size shape & button placement are different. The Vista HCx is like the Legend HCx except it has compass & altimeter feature so is usually a bit more $$'s. Personally I like the built-in compass so am willing to pay a bit extra for that.

All those units will accept additional maps. Street navigation maps that will allow the unit to give you turn-by-turn directions will cost you around $100 but is something you can buy later. Topo maps can be found for free!

What else do you need to know?

Hi and thank you for your reply :lol: . I have also looked at the oregon as I see you can add uk maps to it and it offers the option of paperless geocaching. I am trying to go in with a mid range model and the best i can afford which is around this mark. Is there a difference between the 60cx and the 60csx?

Thank you again

I really like the electronic compass on my vista. I was initially put off on those models because I had read accounts of having to frequently calibrate them and them not working but I have not had that problem.

You DO have to hold it level if you want it to work right but it's not hard. The nice thing is I can show someone something on my gps and it not jump around when you stand still. This was an issue because people will ask me "where are we at" thinking because I had a gps I knew the answer, I could not show them the map screen without walking.

I purchased the legend H and took it back after about a week the hassels of having to print out the info from the pc was the main reason. I bought an oregon 200 and I love the paperless geocahing it so nice. Then I come across the oregon 300 with has all the features of the 200 plus you get an elctronic compass that workd when your standing still and an altimiter as well to show elevation a plus for caving as well as caching. I found the 300 for the same price I paid for the 200 so I bought the 300 and returned the 200. I finally got was I wanted and priced mid range it was worth every penny spent.

Edited by cad24

I was set to buy an Vista HCx like my buddy's until I checked out the Delorme PN-40.

Paperless caching with maps included and aerial photography available just made it too tempting to pass up.

I have had it a month and am extremely happy.

Its not a garmin like you asked for, though.

Reading to here, the PN-40 is not an option if I am reading the OP's remarks correctly. I am reading the OP is from the UK or will be traveling to the UK?

Paperless caching is probably the nicest new feature out today! That said, if I were choosing between the 60 CSx and any other unit, I'd be buying a true paperless unit such as the Garmin OR line, Garmin Dakota line or the Garmin CO line. Since all would be in your price range, figure out what you need most and buy accordingly. :D

in my opinion the Oregon is the one to go for :D

I have used and owned a legend HCX and a Coloorado and now an oregon, this has prooved to be the best you can get.

its easy to use, easy to add too, and a super unit.

you can save yourself some money and go for the 200 as the compass is not really that usefull.

also you dont have to buy maps to start with, you can get OPENSTREET maps for free and as you progress through you can buy the garmin ones if you wish.

Tips:get a Zagg invisishield screen protector

the garmin discoverer maps are worth it

get motorola car phone charger, for in car power supply

Halfords sell a cradle to fit at £6.99

buy some rechargable batteries

Hope this helps

Thank you all or your replies. I am leaning towards the Oregon but am wondering whether the difference between the 200/300 warrants the extra money. I can see that the 300 has an electric compass, but I can read a compass well, so is that the main difference? Also, would the big difference in on board memory matter? I am not sure how much memory a route would normally require.

Thanks again everyone!

Differences are spelled out here between the 200 and 300

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc5

Amount of memory really only impacts how much map data you can load.

Honestly I think the things I would miss most if I had a 200 are:

- Altimeter (if you do a lot of hiking the elevation profile is handy)

- Wireless transfer (useful if you cache with other people who own OR/CO/DKs) to share cache data

- Audio tones (not having the alarm or beeps during auto nav would hard to live without)

IF you want routing, you WILL have to buy routing maps for any Garmin unit you decide on. There are free maps available, but NOT routing maps. Just so you know... :)

Aren't some of these free maps for the UK auto-routing?

http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Just saying...

I've yet to have anyone tell me differently and I've asked often. So, as far as I know, and PLEASE, if you know differently say so, these maps will NOT route you, you must buy those maps!

Just saying...

IF you want routing, you WILL have to buy routing maps for any Garmin unit you decide on. There are free maps available, but NOT routing maps. Just so you know... :)

Just saying...

I've yet to have anyone tell me differently and I've asked often. So, as far as I know, and PLEASE, if you know differently say so, these maps will NOT route you, you must buy those maps!

Just saying...

I'd be happy to translate from British to Michigander for you then...

British: FREE UK Maps Home

Michigander: FREE UK Maps Home

British: GB or Ireland Map with Contours (Routable)

Michigander: GB or Ireland Map with Contours (Routable)

Why mock me when you could just as easily click on the link and educate yourself?

Just saying...

IF you want routing, you WILL have to buy routing maps for any Garmin unit you decide on. There are free maps available, but NOT routing maps. Just so you know... :P

Just saying...

Just saying...

I'd be happy to translate from British to Michigander for you then...

British: FREE UK Maps Home

Michigander: FREE UK Maps Home

British: GB or Ireland Map with Contours (Routable)

Michigander: GB or Ireland Map with Contours (Routable)

Why mock me when you could just as easily click on the link and educate yourself?

Just saying...

I didn't mock you at all. :) I answered your question. I don't know why you're having a problem with me, I have not antagonized you in any way. And, a question....does contours really mean routable? I took contours to mean it showed altitude changes, but again, I'm not a techy person. However, I CAN read. :D I'm not sure why you feel the need to be rude and really, with the trying to make these forums more friendly, would hope you would post kinder!! :P

And, I wasn't mocking you if you mean the "just saying"...I actually thought you were mocking ME as that was something I started saying about a week or so ago..... :o I quit recently when I thought some had poked fun at it. I actually was tempted to ask if you were making a jab at me, but have been told I'm too sensitive to that stuff of late, so I let it go wth the "just saying" right back at you. :o Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude...

Just to add confusion to the mix, how does the Dakota 20 compare? it seems similar to the Oregon...

I believe it is slightly smaller and doesn't have the compass or altimeter (I could be mistaken on this and hope someone who knows will correct me if I'm wrong). I still believe you will need to buy routable maps, unless contours truly does mean routable.

Anyone?? :)

Hey Roddy, I just checked out the site. Those maps are part of the Open Street Map collection. They do have routing capabilities, however, I don't think it's Navteq data. They've also got contours. So basically you can liken them to the routable topo software you've got on your -40.

Hope this helped

All the best!

Edit: Oops, JDiablo beat me to it.

Keep it easy, fellas!

Edited by DeadHead82

:) Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude...

Then I owe you an apology, as maybe I took it the wrong way.

Those maps are Routable, and have contour lines just like any TOPO map. They also are free and legal.

Just trying to help out the OP

THANKS for the clarification. I wonder why no one has ever corrected me before, I truly do ask every time I post that.

No worries, my friend. It's all good!! :D

Have any of you guys seen an Oregon in action? I don't live near a shop that sells them but have read that it is difficult to see in daylight.

Thanks for your time.

It's not so bad that you can't see it, but it is dim. Holding in hand, you can move it to the right angle without problem, if in a vehicle, you can plug it in and it'll be brighter. If on a bicycle though, not so good...

That link wouldn't work for me NordicMan...

Just to add confusion to the mix, how does the Dakota 20 compare? it seems similar to the Oregon...

I believe it is slightly smaller and doesn't have the compass or altimeter (I could be mistaken on this and hope someone who knows will correct me if I'm wrong). I still believe you will need to buy routable maps, unless contours truly does mean routable.

Anyone?? :)

The Dakota 20 does have the compass or altimeter (the Dakota 10 does not)

Hey Roddy check out this site U might find it interesting :)

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Everyone else check it out too!

It would have been helpful to mention that the page really really does not like Internet Explorer. It's a little late by the time you read the message to that effect on the page itself.

...ken...

Sorry Ken I didn't know that site isn't IE friendly,, my primary browser is Firefox.

Differences are spelled out here between the 200 and 300

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc5

Amount of memory really only impacts how much map data you can load.

Honestly I think the things I would miss most if I had a 200 are:

- Altimeter (if you do a lot of hiking the elevation profile is handy)

- Wireless transfer (useful if you cache with other people who own OR/CO/DKs) to share cache data

- Audio tones (not having the alarm or beeps during auto nav would hard to live without)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the link. Can we get that site pinned? It would be a huge help to show newbies like myself so they can go to a one stop place for research.

Now I can start trying to figure out the difference between all the different Garmin models. I'm trying to decide whether I want a DeLorme (sp?) or a Garmin, and of course there's so many different models of Garmins that I've been having a hard time narrowing it down. At least with the DeLorme there's only the PN 20/30/40.

I'm not trying to start a DeLorme/Garmin war here, just commenting :)

EDIT: Is there a similar site for the DeLorme? I didn't realize it was Garmin only.

Edited by velrahnkoon

Have any of you guys seen an Oregon in action? I don't live near a shop that sells them but have read that it is difficult to see in daylight.

It's not so bad that you can't see it, but it is dim. Holding in hand, you can move it to the right angle without problem, if in a vehicle, you can plug it in and it'll be brighter. If on a bicycle though, not so good...

I agree. Great for handheld use and powered mounts. Non-powered fixed-mounts, not so much.