Permission for Countryside Management Services, Herts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about this little pocket of land managed by CMS Herts:

http://enquire.hertscc.gov.uk/cms/explore/walk/croxley.htm

This area is near to me but I know little about it, it's some kind of nature reserve, open to the public and ripe for caches.

I've tried looking on GAGB and the MAGIC map (which doesn't seem to be working) to see if it has permissions. I know that some local cachers have had a series that goes along the Ebury Way which has existed over a year, but was not sure if this was classed as part of the park or not, since the Ebury way runs on much further than this small reserve.

GAGB doesn't mention the CMS or Hertfordshire, so does anyone have information on prior permissions granted?

Cheers, Fitzwesley.

The location is a SSSI see Natural England using the search term Croxley Common Moor. As such it is a Proof of Permission to Publish Location.

You need to contact the Local CC Ranger or

Rob Rees

Director, Countryside Management Service, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG13 8DN

Tel: 01992 555256

Fax: 01992 555251

Email: rob.rees@hertscc.gov.uk.

in regards to obtaining Permission

Deci

The location is a SSSI see Natural England using the search term Croxley Common Moor. As such it is a Proof of Permission to Publish Location.

You need to contact the Local CC Ranger or

Rob Rees

Director, Countryside Management Service, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG13 8DN

Tel: 01992 555256

Fax: 01992 555251

Email: rob.rees@hertscc.gov.uk.

in regards to obtaining Permission

Deci

Cool! Thanks for the info... hopefully it will be granted. Would you suggest I contact with specific cache(s) I wish to place, or should my enquiry be in more general terms? (There reason being is I haven't plotted out anything yet - I just have a rough idea of where I'd place the first one.)

Just my own 2 pence worth....

I think it'd be better to go armed with the cache you'd like to hide, and show where you want to hide it. I'd tell them exactly what they can expect people to have to do in order to find the cache... where they might look, where they are likely to park etc...

In my experience of gathering permission, I've been granted permission as soon as the warden etc has been able to see what it is I'm wanting to do... once I went to get "general" permission and they didn't understand what I was on about - assuming I'd be burying it and they'd have all sorts of people turning up with spades and digging in various locations.

Once they were able to physically see it, they loved the idea. In fact... I'd suggest showing it ans locating a hiding place together, then walking away and giving them the GPS to follow so that they can actually experience what it'd be like to find it - they'd then know what they are likely to come across people doing!

Edited by HazelS

Thanks guys for suggestions.

I don't want to give a bad impression of geocaching from the start, so how does this email sound?

Dear _____,

I am emailing you as I have been given your contact details as the person in charge of management of the Croxley Common nature reserve.

The reason for my email is to ask if it is permissable to hide a one or more geocaches at the Moor for people to find with the aid of a GPS.

Geocacing is a part orienteering, part hi-tech treasure hunting sport which aims to bring people to interesting locations where they would then typically look for a camoflaged container which could be hidden in natural hidng place such as a bush, hole (but not a den or warren) or under some fallen branches.

You can get more information about geocaching here - www.geocaching.com and see hidden caches on a map here - http://www.geocaching.com/map/ (may require free membership to browse).

If you are not already aware, you may be interested to know that there are a few geocaches hidden in further north of Croxley in Whippendell Woods which is also appears to be a Site of Special Scientific Interest. If you wanted to see an example of how this works, I would be happy to meet you and take you to find one.

Most geocachers are avid outdoors types and have the utmost respect for the environment. Occasionally we organise special 'CITO' events (Cache In - Trash Out) to clean up areas which have been neglected.

If you have any further questions, please let me know and if I can't answer I can direct you to further resources.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,

(Fitzwesley)

Just an update on my request for permissions. I've had an email response that both Friends of Croxley Common Moor and Three Rivers District Council are happy to have geocaches "in principal", however they need to get permission from Natural England first.

Ironically I was walking on the Moor late one evening last week and some youths were riding their motorcycles around the footpaths - which is completely against the rules for the area. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of who to call in such a situation. It's made me think twice about where I'd put a cache and if I'd still place one. :laughing:

Well in light of RP ban I have good news.

I got permission to cache on Croxley Common Moor from all parties involved. :angry:

Though it's not a large area so I don't know if many can be hidden in there with proximity rules - but at least it's another beautiful area to visit and log a few finds.

Good to hear you got permission :unsure:

I know this thread was quite a while ago, but did any caches ever go in croxley moors?  I was there the other week and didn't see any in the app?

I only ask as I am setting some up to go and find good places in the next few weeks and wasn't sure if the moors would be a good spot.

Was the permission for specific caches or general permission?

Many thanks,

Matt