What do you do?

Damin69

GC1YE6Q GC1YE6Q WSQ Pine Valley.

I thought it was weird that when I logged my find on this cache there was a find on it already. I had not seen any other finds when I signed the log. So today On my way home from Richland Center I stopped by to check it out and to this date there are NO other signatures on that log. It is making me wonder about some of that other guys finds now in the area. I was looking through his finds and he has finds in diff. States on the same day that are many many states apart.

This just strikes me as odd maybe accidental. How can someon really do this on purpose with out having a Guilty conscious?

When I sign a fresh log I have been known to sign it very small in a hidden spot in the log book. People often miss it. Maybe that is it?

Exactly why I stopped by and checked that Log book out. I did not want to claim a FTF that was not mine to claim. It is a Micro I took the log back out of the container and looked front and back of all the paper looking for another sig. Non there. Then I looked at the users other finds quick. Saw a Pennsivania cache on the same day as a bunch of Wisconsin caches. I just thought it was weird and maybe an accident. Heck i noticed months afterword that I had accidently logged a cache twice in one day. I went back and changed that log to a note as I felt guilty about it. I was just wondering what other people do when they figure out the did something by accident.

claim a FTF

:)

About your original concern... I would say who cares and not give it a second thought. It doesn't affect my fun caching.

We all went over this a week or so ago. As I recall, your thoughts on the subject were in the minority.

I also recall you claiming that you had only screwed up the FTF hopes "a couple times".

I agree it seems fishy. His finger may have slipped and he logged the wrong month, but then there's the lack of signature to think about.

It's odd though that he hasn't logged more finds if he's just doing them from his couch.

I don't know...about halfway through checkin this out, I realized that it just doesn't matter and I don't care. You got the FTF...that's good enough.

Did the online log make sense in relation to the cache? I know once I gave my stepson a list of GC#s so he could log his finds. About a month later when I was looking at his finds I noticed he had a find in Virginia and Germany(or something to that effect) logged on the same day. (We are in Canada) Turns out he had misread the number and didn't even look at the cache page. He just entered the GC# and hit Log your visit. I should mention that he was 11 or 12 at the time. It can happen and the person may not have even noticed.

Other than that I'd say in the big picture, it's probably not worth getting all worked up over.

Cheers! :)

If a FTF is at stake and it's important to you, you could simply mention in your online log that your sig was the first one on the blank cache log and leave it at that. Then it's a matter of record and it's up to the CO to decide how (or whether) to handle the situation. Otherwise, just be true to your own ethics and beware the people you suspect are cheaters.

Pete

It looks like you are talking about "young and old". If I were the cache owner, I'd delete the unsigned visit, especially a first-to-find.

I don't see any logs for them, other than in Wisconsin. Am I missing the PA ones you've seen?

"Young and old" logged seven caches dated before they joined Geocaching.com. That is a bit strange. Maybe they got the cache coordinates from a friend before joining themselves, then went back from memory and logged their finds. In doing this, maybe they recorded on the wrong cache. That is a scenario that might not have deceitful intentions.

Send "young and old" an email if the cache owner doesn't take action. Or email WGA3 (your local cache reviewer) and have him contact the cache owner and "young and old".

GC1YE6Q GC1YE6Q WSQ Pine Valley.

This just strikes me as odd maybe accidental. How can someon really do this on purpose with out having a Guilty conscious?

I vote for accidental -- did you note the date of the log? Months before the cache was even published? This was either a screwup in the database, or the "finder" managed a really large typo while logging caches found a couple of months back. Certainly doesn't look intentional to me.

It looks like you are talking about "young and old". If I were the cache owner, I'd delete the unsigned visit, especially a first-to-find.

I don't see any logs for them, other than in Wisconsin. Am I missing the PA ones you've seen?

"Young and old" logged seven caches dated before they joined Geocaching.com. That is a bit strange. Maybe they got the cache coordinates from a friend before joining themselves, then went back from memory and logged their finds. In doing this, maybe they recorded on the wrong cache. That is a scenario that might not have deceitful intentions.

Send "young and old" an email if the cache owner doesn't take action. Or email WGA3 (your local cache reviewer) and have him contact the cache owner and "young and old".

There was 1 cache outside of Wisconsin: Pennsylvania on September 13.

If a FTF is at stake

It's not. You either are or you aren't.

Ok, let me rephrase that: If FTF recognition is at stake and it's important to you, .... :D

They've never been important to me. I have 2, but I was shocked both times because I didn't even start looking until quite awhile after the listing was published. Around here they have FTF parties which are also known as Feeding Frenzies for the cache piranhas, and I'm a lot more interested in participating in the party than actually being FTF.

Pete

He is from a future time zone & traveled back in time before the cache was placed. He knew full well that a cache would be placed in that precise spot and logged his visit. In the future you will need a Time Transit Unit ....a TTU along with your GPS, for Time Traveling Geocaching. Everyone travels back in time to get FTF.....The only logs that count!!

Many possiblities...Found it after you and put the wrong date, sock puppet cacher, or someone who knows the owner and allowed them to log it whether as being there when it was placed or permission by the owner. Did you also see that same cacher double logged other cache finds?

Edited by jellis50

I know of a few cachers that have lied on cache listings for glory. Is it worth going after them? I would say no. If a person cheats and or lies and feels good about it, there is nothing you can do to change them. Exposing them is only going to create friction that you may not want.

If an FTF is at stake, just record it as an FTF for yourself and move on.

Edited by Keith Watson