Garmin SD/ Micro SD cards

Jester1970

I should clarify, it's the ones you buy with Garmin OS Discoverer mapping on them.

I've made a back-up copy of mine, just to be on the safe side. :)

Have you tried the backup copy yet? I ask this because the majority of software loaded on SD cards is locked to the cards hidden internal serial number.. I tried to use a backup copy of my Garmin maps, but it never worked.

I should clarify, it's the ones you buy with Garmin OS Discoverer mapping on them.

I've made a back-up copy of mine, just to be on the safe side. :rolleyes:

Have you tried the backup copy yet? I ask this because the majority of software loaded on SD cards is locked to the cards hidden internal serial number.. I tried to use a backup copy of my Garmin maps, but it never worked.

the 'back-up' copy is in the unit... Works fine. :grin:

The original -checked, still works- is kept in a safe place.

(Somewhere, can't remember where... Isn't that always the case, put it "Somewhere safe" and forget where it is! :) )

the 'back-up' copy is in the unit... Works fine. :grin:

(Somewhere, can't remember where... Isn't that always the case, put it "Somewhere safe" and forget where it is! :) )

So do they have a Garmin logo on them?

the 'back-up' copy is in the unit... Works fine. ;)

So do they have a Garmin logo on them?

I 'think', he means he has a spare back up of brand x in his gps. without a logo, while the original is floating around in the attic somewhere, possibly hijacked by mice.

might wanna check/confirm with him tho :grin:

Edited by Ryuchan

Hi the maps come on unbranded cards and you can make a backup

But the problem comes as the backup will only work on the original card!

i have tried but cannot find the code hidden in the card, so i could make another to use in the field leaving the original safely at home.

A friend recently lost his gps and maps and could not get his backup to work, because he could not get it on the original lost card.

And having recently purchased the garmin discoverer maps and already having the garmin topos i would have liked to put them on 1 card so i could use both, but this has proved impossible.

You would not want to change SD cards in the field, if you dropped one you wouldnt find it again. :D