Anyone using the HTC Hero to geocache?

I've read all of those reports...

That's old news. The rom update of Sept 19th or so has addressed that one issue.

Anyone caching with it yet?

I'm interested in it because I can buy it factory unlocked and run it for my needs without a data plan---- A genius phone without a data plan.

ie cheap and cool

I'm still shopping for a cell phone and have zeroed in on the HTC Hero as a possible new phone/toy.

Is anyone here using it to cache?

http://gizmodo.com/5318860/htc-hero-review...agically-flawed

How do you like geobeagle?? With all of the features it has and the capabilites of the new HTC Hero, it must make my Colorado almost obsolete??

I love the possibility of doing this with a 5 megapixel camera and without a dataplan.

I'm still shopping for a cell phone and have zeroed in on the HTC Hero as a possible new phone/toy.

Is anyone here using it to cache?

Yes I am. Im using the app geobeagle. :)

I cache with a hero on sprint. Geobeagle is good, and cachemate Is better. I have 20,000 caches and 8,000 benchmarks with full ngs datasheets loaded. Works like a charm.

The hero has Android 1.5 loaded. The only way to get topo (in The usa) is with the trimble outdoor navigator for $10. It can cache the topo for offline use, but its slow to do. when the hero gets updated To android 2.1 by march at the latest, the newest version of Google maps has topo. Google maps only works online.

Don't forget, an official Geocaching app for android will be out by the end of march too.

Also, you can play Wherigo cartridges using Openwig, a j2me Wherigo player. It works for me.

And yes, you can cache and use the gps without any cell service. It works fine.

The hero could replace a Colorado or Oregon, but plan on buying the trimble program for topo or non-geocachi-g gas use. The biggest drawback to the hero is its NOT waterproof or rugged. A drop could kill it, where a garmin will take a beating. For this reason alone, my Oregon will never be replaced completely by my hero, especially when hiking.

After starting out with a G1 (and doing my first 150+ caches with it), I mainly do GC with a Colorado now ... while the G1 is fine for looking for a cache in a pinch, or getting information off the 'net, I like the more rugged Colorado ... apart from the Topo maps it has, the main caveats I see with using a phone for Geocaching are the battery run time for one (constant use of the GPS receiver will quickly drain the battery), plus it's not really made the being used in the outside (read: rain, dirt, and the likes). On the Garmin, I don't really have to watch out whether my hands are dirty, or it's pouring rain ...

Hello, i noticed that you are using the HTC hero and sounds like you have had good success. that is encouraging to hear, as i have recently purchased one myself. i also purchaced the trimble outdoor and am very happy with it. however, i am having troubles casheing the maps for offline use. would you be willing to post a step by step? i would be greatful as there are probabley other that would as well. i found a great cover for the hero that can be used for outdoor gpsing at us outdoor store, looked like it was designed for iphone but worked well with hero, i was able to use the touch sreen through the plastic cover.

thank you

I cache with a hero on sprint. Geobeagle is good, and cachemate Is better. I have 20,000 caches and 8,000 benchmarks with full ngs datasheets loaded. Works like a charm.

The hero has Android 1.5 loaded. The only way to get topo (in The usa) is with the trimble outdoor navigator for $10. It can cache the topo for offline use, but its slow to do. when the hero gets updated To android 2.1 by march at the latest, the newest version of Google maps has topo. Google maps only works online.

Don't forget, an official Geocaching app for android will be out by the end of march too.

Also, you can play Wherigo cartridges using Openwig, a j2me Wherigo player. It works for me.

The hero could replace a Colorado or Oregon, but plan on buying the trimble program for topo or non-geocachi-g gas use. The biggest drawback to the hero is its NOT waterproof or rugged. A drop could kill it, where a garmin will take a beating. For this reason alone, my Oregon will never be replaced completely by my hero, especially when hiking.

I just bought the HTC Hero and downloaded the geocache files only to get an error message that there is not an application to open the files??? I used the software on an HTC Mogul very successfully... what happened?? Any help out there to get me started again?

Thanks!

Madman,

What process do you use to load the benchmarks and have the datasheets as well.

Thanks

I just bought the HTC Hero and downloaded the geocache files only to get an error message that there is not an application to open the files??? I used the software on an HTC Mogul very successfully... what happened?? Any help out there to get me started again?

What files are you talking about? Pocket query files or applications? You need both.

I've used the HTC Hero for my last 50 or so caches, I don't have a standalone and have never seen the need for one.

It's a LOT better than my Nokia 6220 Classic, which was very good. The GPS is brilliant and the big screen helps enormously.

Only main gripe is software availability. Geobeagle is good, [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator], but like most Android users I'm very excited about the prospect of the new Groundspeak app.

I recommend the HTC to anyone. It's the clever man's iphone.

Edited by Keystone

As of right now I'm at 76 finds with my hero and I think it works great. Only problem is that I've gotten it covered in pine sap, knocked it around, and almost dropped it in a creek. Told myself that when I hit 250 finds I can buy myself an Oregon 450. That's what my dad has and it's built like a tank.

I have a hero (telus) and have used geobeagle to find one cache as well used it while checking on my own. It worked well but with the lack of urban caches (probably due to the lack of urban areas) I cannot justify the risk of dropping it in a puddle or bumping it too hard on a rock and turning it into a paper weight. I do enjoy the ability to haul it out and load a cache page to reread hints, previous logs or what not. I also like having it in my pocket just in case I get an email notification of a new cache and do not have my GPS with me or am out of town.

first you go the the NGS website and download the datasheets for the benchmarks you are interested in. You can do this by county.

then, use this http://ngs.tsqmadness.com/help/

or this http://www.holoscenes.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/BMGPX to put it in a Pocket query format.

Madman,

I have all of the benchmark files and gpx files, but how are you viewing the datasheets on your phone? What format are you loading them and viewing them with?

I have always loaded them on my Dell Axim using the gpx2html program which worked great, but haven't come up with a good way to load them on the phone yet, or maybe I need to try loading the html and see if they work.

Thanks

John E, Both actually. I just went to geobeagle while I wait for the droid version to come out. Thanks, not really sure why they would not open and load. I really am looking forward to getting out there with the phone! Although tales of pine sap etc make me a bit nervous, so waiting patiently for the skin, case and screen protector to arrive in the mail! Hopefully I can get out there Sunday :surprise:

Newbie here but I was addicted instantly.

Thank you! Gina

I cache with a hero on sprint. Geobeagle is good, and cachemate Is better. I have 20,000 caches and 8,000 benchmarks with full ngs datasheets loaded.

Madman,

I loaded a gpx file and got GeoBeagle to sync it. It does load the benchmarks onto the map, but I don't get the data sheets and the Web Page link only goes to geocaches and not the benchmark page.

How do you view the full NGS datasheets? As you can tell, I would really like to see this work with the points and especially the data sheets.

Thanks