KILLER GEOCACH (PLEASE READ!)

For once when you're out doing something, and you get the feeling in the pit of your stomach and you don't follow it, that feeling seems to come true. So we were out geocaching (look it up if you don't know what it is) basically, finding things.

We were going from Priest River to Chase Lake, about a mile and a half South of Priest Lake. So the story goes, we turned onto the Coolin cut-off road. As we are going along, we are looking for what appears to be an un-paved forest service road on the left. We take a left as into what we think is the "correct left". I joke to my friend driving, this almost feels like the movie Wrong Turn. Joking when we pulled up to a rock pit, seeing a man and what appeared to be his wife walking out from behind a huge amount of gravel. They didn't wave, save hi or a kiss my a** get out of here. We didn't stop, we went ahead and turned around just shortly after entering the pit. We drove back out to the paved road, and took the next right, noticing it may be another road that we had been looking for. We take the right, than when it came to a fork or "Y" in the road, we took a left.

About a mile down the road, mind you it is a gravel rocky road with what seemed to be mini Kelly humps. We were doing about 25 -30mph, when I looked in the mirror and seen a big white pickup speeding up behind us. I nonchalantly, commented to my friend "someone must be in a hurry to get home." Thinking that it really was someone that was in a hurry. I looked back a couple of times within a minute or two, and this shop truck with a brush guard on the front of it, was RIGHT behind us. No exaduration, he was coming up on us doing about 50mph. You could hear him revving the gas. We found a spot in the road where we could pull off a little bit and let him by, instead of him slowing down, he hits the gas and proceeds to come at us more, making us gun it to get out of his way! As we continue down the gravel road, he is getting closer and closer to us, at times with less than a foot or two in-between our vehicles. Scary when you cannot see anything in your rearview mirror, except the other person’s windshield and the very mean expressive face the guy is wearing like a mask. We would get over to one side of the road, and he would center his truck with the corner of our suv to try to ram the rear corner of our car and flip us. You could tell this man was out to make us run off the road.

We continued doing this repetitively, hitting the gas to speed up time and time again. The guy driving was not letting off. We came upon a stop sign, thank god there was no one coming, we proceeded to slow down and stop, yet if we had stopped, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this. The being in fear for your life, was very present in our car at the time. This person was not out to get our attention, he was out to run us off the road or harm/kill us. After we had to California stop, the stop-sign, we made a right hand turn and headed for Coolin.. Coming around the corner in Coolin, down towards the Marina and Post Office, that hill/corner are dangerous.

The truck behind us never slowed down. We pulled over, in a wide spot across the road from the Coolin Post Office, so that if need be, we could make a U Turn out for our safety. The guy gasses his truck, than proceeds to skid up beside us on the passenger’s side of the car. I already had 9-1-1 on the phone, in a panic, thinking this guy was after us. The not so "gentle-man" asked in these words, "What the F*** were you doing at my rock quarry?" We responded in telling him we were looking for an address, we had taken a wrong turn and apologized. He takes another breath going to verbally attack us, and my friend cuts in "We're calling 9-1-1, actually we have them on the line," the man screams out "GOOD!" all while moving around inside of the truck.

How were we to know that he wasn't some crazy lunatic going to gun us down? Maybe pull us out of the car and beat us? Who knows what people are out to do anymore. We did not know until we had the altercation at the end, that it was an employee or Owner of Storro Bros. Excavating, located in Coolin, Idaho. The man was driving a ratherly large white work style pick up, with a chrome cattle guard on the front bumper.

Remind you that this was an original journal entry, I didn't type it up special for the site. Sorry if the wording is choppy. Just a fare warning of what can happen, so no need for the ignorant comments. Thank you!

Edited by geocache_princess
...can't.... read. Need... spaces.
Executive Summary (Paragraph Friendly): Whack-job/"employee or Owner of Storro Bros. Excavating, located in Coolin, Idaho" gets riled up when geocachers wander onto his property/worksite. Follows said geocachers in big pick-em-up truck with scary bumper for a bit; scaring the bejezus outta both GC'ers. 911 called. Post ends with call for safety while caching.

My favorite part (since you asked):

So we were out geocaching (look it up if you don't know what it is) basically, finding things.

Will go back through and format it for easier reading. Sorry about that.

Came up on my screen just fine-

I'm curious now to read what happened.

Missed the 1st edition when it was still posted.

Hope you post it again when its ready.

- It looks like you forgot to log your 1st find when you picked up the geocoin. You wouldn't want to forget your smiley. :D

Will go back through and format it for easier reading. Sorry about that.

Came up on my screen just fine-

I'm curious now to read what happened.

Missed the 1st edition when it was still posted.

Hope you post it again when its ready.

- It looks like you forgot to log your 1st find when you picked up the geocoin. You wouldn't want to forget your smiley. :)

Sorry that it took me a day to put it back up. Was a very unfortunate even that happened to us. Just making people aware if you are in the North Idaho area, what to watch out for (well, anywhere really for that fact!)

I'm having trouble understanding why this guy was so angry.

Makes me wonder if something weird, unlawful, bad, etc... was happening at this gravel pit.

This situation would also have me very spooked.

Thanks for sharing.

We all need to beware of our surroundings no matter where we are at.

Kwazy people everywhere now these days.

I watch way too much news. :)

Remind you that this was an original journal entry, I didn't type it up special for the site. Sorry if the wording is choppy. Just a fare warning of what can happen, so no need for the ignorant comments. Thank you!

I apologize for my response to your initial post... it was not intended to be rude or ignorant... just funny. I apologize for the humor which may have been at your expense.

Welcome to the forums... and thanks for your story... It's a good reminder to be aware! I also suspect that there may have been something suspicious going on there...

Just making people aware if you are in the North Idaho area, what to watch out for (well, anywhere really for that fact!)

Ah. Idaho. That was a gravel pit. You ought to try trespassing on someone's compound.

I apologize for my response to your initial post... it was not intended to be rude or ignorant... just funny. I apologize for the humor which may have been at your expense.

Welcome to the forums... and thanks for your story... It's a good reminder to be aware! I also suspect that there may have been something suspicious going on there...

There were no "private property" or "no trespassing" signs.

Being from the North Idaho area, I've grown up to look for them on side roads.

So we were fine then.. there was no reason for this guy to be aggresive, especially

with a vehicle.

All is forgiven, just making aware that it wasn't written for the web site specifically.

Had something similar happen to us this summer. We pulled of the road to let the GPS lock and a rather grumpy guy pulled up next to us and told us to leave. I supposed it was less threatening for us as I drive a 3/4 ton diesel and had my right hand wrapped firmly around a sig sauer p229.

Reminds me of an extended caching trip I took through western Kansas a couple years ago. Had been driving and caching all day and was tired. It was well past dark in extreme southwest Kansas--less than 10 miles from both Colorado and Oklahoma both. This is a very sparsely populated area where a county seat may have less than 2,000 people.

I headed north out of the town of Elkhart toward the Cimarron National Grasslands where there was a campground. Drove up a couple of paved roads that approached the grasslands and didn't see any cars. I then had about a 7 mile drive up a gravel road to the campground. Just after I turned down the gravel road, headlights show up in my rearview out of nowhere. I start to get worried. Where had this guy come from?

I kept on driving toward the campground, slowing a couple of times and pulling as far over as I could to let them around me, but he wasn't passing. At that time I was starting to wish I was packing.

I finally got to the campground and pulled up to the gate. The car pulled up behind me. I got out and faced the car. Thank goodness it was only a sherriff's car wondering what I was up to. I answered him and he let me go on my way. Wish I had told him that a flashing of his lights would have eased my mind considerably.

Ekkk, someone was certainly up to something questionable to react that strongly.

I had something like that happen to me and a friend (not while caching) thankfully I remembered a sharp turn and had my friend slow just enough to make the turn while the offending SUV (we were in a sports car) ran off the road and towards the woods giving us time to get away.

It's really freaky when something like that happens.

Had something similar happen to us this summer. We pulled of the road to let the GPS lock and a rather grumpy guy pulled up next to us and told us to leave. I supposed it was less threatening for us as I drive a 3/4 ton diesel and had my right hand wrapped firmly around a sig sauer p229.

Now that's a proper 'accessory' (licensed, of course) for the back country. A pity you had to have your hand on it, at all. Last time I checked, it wasn't illegal to pull over to the side of the road, away from traffic, and check your map, compass, or geocaching print out.

Did you find out what the guy wanted?