Does anyone use google reader?

hoyshnin

I find myself going to 5 different Groundspeak forums and looking for new posts. I know google reader can be used with some forums to show you all of the new posts from a number of different forums all on one page. Does anyone use google reader with Groundspeak forums? If so, how do you set it up? Can ALL of the Groundspeak forums be used in google reader, or only some of them?

Thanks!

(ps, sorry moderators if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't tell it this should go here or under the Geocaching.com website forum)

I use google reader. unfortunately there is no GSforum page for Google reader, and also I put this idea out in a different topic, and it got shot down right away. hopefully this one will get people interested.

So are you saying that you use google reader generally but not with Groundspeak forums because they are not supported?

Editing to post an important note up top for the bell dingers and others to see in case they don't read this whole post. That isn't true. The GC forums are supported by Google (or any) RSS reader. See below how to set it up.

I use the Google Reader (and an iPhone app) to read RSS messages from the GC forums, but there are a couple issues.

1. Not all of the forum sections have an RSS feed, for example, the iPhone app section does not.

2. This is probably more important. Only NEW message threads show up in the reader. Additional replies to already read messages will not. So, if someone asks a new question, "What kind of GPS is best?" and you haven't checked messages for awhile, you'll see the original question plus any replies. But, if you check messages later on, you will not see any additional replies to that message.

3. In most of the sections, a maximum of 10 new messages will be downloaded. So, if you don't go on for awhile and there's 45 new messages, you will only see the newest 10. A couple have 20 but most are 10.

The above issues will happen with any reader. It's the way the feeds are setup and not related to the reader itself. The limit of 10 per section is a common thing. A lot of sites do that to some degree...no need to download 1000 messages. Go online and read them if you want to see that many.

To access the feeds for the supported sections, click on the orange RSS feed button in the lower left of the page, then right click and copy the link address. You can then paste that into the Google Reader. Aditionally, you can click on the RSS feed in your browsers toolbar if your browser supports feeds that way and then copy the address into Google Reader.

If you need more help, just ask, and I can try to explain it more clearly.

Edited by Skippermark