Newbie Question About Purchased Activated Geocoins

DragonflyTotem

I purchased a couple of Geocoins that were previously activated and have just completed the adoption process. I then got adoption complete emails from Geocaching that indicated that the new owner should edit the listings "while preserving, as much as possible, the original character of the listing, and giving credit to the original owner." These were non-cached Geocoins that were apparently only shown at gatherings, etc.

First question, what the heck does that mean (an example of the "right" way to do it would be wonderful!).

And second question, as a part of that updating, is it typical that the new owner then "discovers" them upon receipt (or is there another customary way to do that)?

Thanks!

The only obligation I am aware of is not deleting the logs of the previous finders. I am not aware of any requirement to give the previous owner any credit.

My suggestion is: You can change the traveler name, description, mission/goal, just don't delete the logs of the people who previously assisted your coin.

2: You get a stat for ownership. You will not get a "Found" stat for Discovering your own coin or bug.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I purchased a couple of Geocoins that were previously activated and have just completed the adoption process. I then got adoption complete emails from Geocaching that indicated that the new owner should edit the listings "while preserving, as much as possible, the original character of the listing, and giving credit to the original owner." These were non-cached Geocoins that were apparently only shown at gatherings, etc.

First question, what the heck does that mean (an example of the "right" way to do it would be wonderful!).

And second question, as a part of that updating, is it typical that the new owner then "discovers" them upon receipt (or is there another customary way to do that)?

Thanks!

Most of the coins I have discovered have the mission as something like "to be discovered by other cachers" similar to what yours sounds like. When I have gotten an activated coin I usually change the title to reflect my ownership. I have taken that sentence you quoted to mean to try to keep the flavor of the original mission and not delete those who have discovered it before I owned it. However, if the mssion no longer is valid then why perserve that? Make the mission something that you want after all it is your coin. ie if the other wanted it to be admired at meet and greets and you want it to travel then by all means change the misson. You have the right to delete everything on the page even any logs but I haven't so far.

The original owner is listed on the coin page when the coin was activated. That's how I feel that owner is acknowledged. There is no need for you to discover it because as soon as you adopted it the icon will show under your owned list. However, it disappears from the original owner's list so if he is interested in icons you might offer to let them discover it.

The only obligation I am aware of is not deleting the logs of the previous finders. I am not aware of any requirement to give the previous owner any credit.

Actually there isn't any obligation at all to keep the previous logs. If they are deleted then the person who discovered it gets an email saying it was deleted and some have gotten mad about that when it happens. Some say the previous logs give the coin a history and a flavor so to speak and others say that with new ownership they want it to start anew. However, there isn't any obligation at all to keep those logs. The coin is the new owner's to do with as they please.

I noticed the OPs adopted coins still show they are in the hands of the previous owners.

Isn't this something that needs to be fixed/adjusted?

The two coin icons are listed in his trackable list. He needs to grab them if he wishes to show them in his inventory list. They are in his hands so the grabbing is just paperwork. With some of my adopted coins I have forgotten to do this LOL. After I grab them I drop them in one of my archived caches so they dont' show in my list.

drdan01-- Welcome to the forums!!

I noticed the OPs adopted coins still show they are in the hands of the previous owners.

The two coin icons are listed in his trackable list. He needs to grab them if he wishes to show them in his inventory list. They are in his hands so the grabbing is just paperwork. With some of my adopted coins I have forgotten to do this LOL. After I grab them I drop them in one of my archived caches so they dont' show in my list.

Okay, just checking... thanks. :D

I have a couple of coins that I adopted & thought something looked different.

Hopefully the OP will get it all figured out.

Just catching up on all the replies - can you please explain what you mean by "grab them" and the paperwork that I'm supposed to do? I'd have thought that the adoption thing was "the" whole process from what I've read but apparently not then.

Thanks!

Actually there isn't any obligation at all to keep the previous logs. If they are deleted then the person who discovered it gets an email saying it was deleted and some have gotten mad about that when it happens. Some say the previous logs give the coin a history and a flavor so to speak and others say that with new ownership they want it to start anew. However, there isn't any obligation at all to keep those logs. The coin is the new owner's to do with as they please.

Please can I plea that the new owner does not delete previous logs on the geocoin?

Yes, I know it now belongs to them... but it's not a brand new geocoin... It's pre-owned/pre-loved/secondhand (whichever term you prefer) and if the new owner deletes previous 'discovered' logs then those cachers who quite legitimately saw the geocoin before and legitimately logged it will have their tiny bit of caching history relating to that coin deleted as well. This might not be important to the new owner but some geocachers take the collecting of geocoin icons rather seriously. Maybe it's a particularly unusual or rare coin that they will be unlikely to see again?

I feel it's a kindness to ensure that the previous history of logs remains.

MrsB :D

Just catching up on all the replies - can you please explain what you mean by "grab them" and the paperwork that I'm supposed to do? I'd have thought that the adoption thing was "the" whole process from what I've read but apparently not then.

Thanks!

They system tracking the coin is still showing the coin to be in the previous owner's hands. All you have to do is go to the coin page log a "grab" or pick up as you would if you found it in a cache then it'll show you have it and place it in your inventory. More of a housekeeping thing.

Perhaps obligation is too strong a word. Since we depend on the community to assist our travelers I wouldn't recommend casually deleting their log and stat credit.

Perhaps obligation is too strong a word. Since we depend on the community to assist our travelers I wouldn't recommend casually deleting their log and stat credit.

Unless you want an angry mob of cachers knocking on your door. :D

Thanks!

Sorry to confuse you. I didn't mean the term "paperwork" in the literal sense at all you have to do is accept the adoption. Like Droo said it is more of a housekeeping thing.

Go to your coin page and in the upper right corner it says "Add A Log Entry". Click on that. There is a drop down list and choose grab it. You will need the tracking number of the coin. Then put something in the comments list and hit submit. You can delete that log if you like so it doesn't clutter up the page

Please can I plea that the new owner does not delete previous logs on the geocoin?

Yes, I know it now belongs to them... but it's not a brand new geocoin... It's pre-owned/pre-loved/secondhand (whichever term you prefer) and if the new owner deletes previous 'discovered' logs then those cachers who quite legitimately saw the geocoin before and legitimately logged it will have their tiny bit of caching history relating to that coin deleted as well. This might not be important to the new owner but some geocachers take the collecting of geocoin icons rather seriously. Maybe it's a particularly unusual or rare coin that they will be unlikely to see again?

It's a courtesy but not required. I have never done it and its rare, but its not an obligation as the earlier poster indicated. To some people the icon is extremely important but to others its not. Its up to each individual owner.

i've bought and sold quite a few previously activated geocoins. i wish i had "discovered" all the ones i sold, because i now have no record at all of those geocoins. so now, if i sell one of my activated geocoins, i ask the new owners if its okay if i "discover" it for the icon. i also offer previous owners of a geocoin i adopt, the opportunity to "discover" the geocoin for their profile icon if they don't already have it. this isn't an obligation, just a nice courtesy gesture. i also try to keep the history of previous discoveries "intact" so everyone can keep their icon, but again, this is only a courtesy and not an obligation.

Thanks all for the replies! I think that I have it figured out now, and am glad to learn more about what the "accepted practice" is in situations like this since I'm a newbie and don't want to do anything that that isn't what is viewed as the "right" way to do things!

For those who were worried -- I have no plan to wipe the logs. It's helpful to understand how all of that affects those who had previously logged them as I wouldn't have had a clue about that. I bought them because I thought that they were interesting and I assumed when I bought them that they'd have some activity (surprised by how much for one of them) and thought that was kind of neat and would make for an interesting connection to the original owner and all those who'd discovered it.

Thanks again for all the responses as each individually made this newbie post worthwhile and collectively they've helped me learn a LOT very quickly!

It's a courtesy but not required. I have never done it and its rare, but its not an obligation as the earlier poster indicated. To some people the icon is extremely important but to others its not. Its up to each individual owner.

I am feeling strong about deleting logs. I think it's not done. Not for caches, not for trackables.

One has found the cache or seen the trackable and has made a logging about that. That's history and should be left intact.

Ruud4d

Edited by Ruud4d

Thanks!

Most of the coins I have discovered have the mission as something like "to be discovered by other cachers" similar to what yours sounds like. When I have gotten an activated coin I usually change the title to reflect my ownership. I have taken that sentence you quoted to mean to try to keep the flavor of the original mission and not delete those who have discovered it before I owned it. However, if the mssion no longer is valid then why perserve that? Make the mission something that you want after all it is your coin. ie if the other wanted it to be admired at meet and greets and you want it to travel then by all means change the misson. You have the right to delete everything on the page even any logs but I haven't so far.

The original owner is listed on the coin page when the coin was activated. That's how I feel that owner is acknowledged. There is no need for you to discover it because as soon as you adopted it the icon will show under your owned list. However, it disappears from the original owner's list so if he is interested in icons you might offer to let them discover it.

I think that part originally comes from the CACHE adoption process, where you would want to leave the Cache description mostly the same