locationless caches

halfwaycrazy

I'm not into Waymarking, because you don't get a smiley or anything on your cache page.

I would like to do atleast one locationless cache, just for the icon and smiley.

I don't understand how just because I started caching after 2005 I can't log just one.

Or why people who have cached longer than me can keep the icon and smilies when newbies cant.

I also don't see how Waymarking has anything to do with geocaching, when you have to go to a completely different website. :shocked:

You can still log a virtual cache. If you can find one in your area that still exists, you can still visit it, complete what you need to, and log it.

You can't CREATE a new one ... but you can log one.

But he's talking about Locationless caches, not Virtual caches. Those are a completely different cache type.

Some Virtual caches still exist and can be logged. No Locationless caches can be logged anymore.

I was around when Locationless were still alive and I never logged one. Why? Because they weren't caches to me, there was no container or even a solid set of coords like a Virtual. Locationless were EXACTLY what Waymarking is now but on the same site as GC. Still I don't see anything wrong with older members keeping their "finds". They went through the trouble to hunt down what the Locationless was about. I haven't logged an APE cache either for that matter. Why does your sense of Entitlement make you think you have to have everything everyone else has? There are caches all over the world I'll never log and that doesn't bother me one bit.

Waymarking is separate from geocaching. Locationless caches were a poor fit for this site -- the submission form, the coordinates, the search abilities, the methods of logging, none of it was a fit for the game that was locationless caching. Since they're separate games, no, you don't get a smiley here.

I logged a few locationless when they existed, but I did it as notes. So I could have had the icon but refused it. If you want icons, Waymarking has one for every category -- over 900 so far. You also get ribbons for milestone numbers.

I thought locationless caches were a fun part of the game, presenting more of a challenge than Waymarking in part because the possibilities were much more limited. They brought me to some great places that I never would have known about. Expanding the categories of locationless caches would not have worked and so I suppose Waymarking was inevitable. I see similar gps games popping up here or there.

I have thought that it was too bad that Groundspeak did not keep some of the locationless as a kind of crossover between the two - perhaps that would encourage more interest in Waymarking.

But I will never be a Groundspeak charter member and some people will never get a locationless. Timing is everything.

TPTB decided that locationless caches did not really fit the concept they wanted to promote as geocaching. They did understand thought that they had some appeal so they spent a considerable amount of effort designing a new activity called Waymarking that extended the locationless concept and dealt with some issues they had when they were trying to be forced to fit the Geocaching.com website. As they developed the idea further they realized that most virtual caches were nothing more than specific examples of waymarks. So when Waymarking launch they also decided to no longer accept new virtual caches on Geocaching.com. All the locationless caches were given an opportunity to migrate to Waymarking.com. Some locationless cache owners did not take advantage of this offer, though many did. With the ability to create new Waymarking categories, there are now many more opportunities to find locations and waymark the coordinates. (When I began geocaching way back in 2003 there was already a moratorium on new locationless caches so I couldn't have created a locationless if I wanted. I have participated in the creation of at least three Waymarking categories).

If the only reason you want to log a locationless cache it to get the icon and a smiley for another find all I can say is :shocked: The world has changed, IMO for the better. Waymarking is a wonderful activity on its own. While it has the use of the GPS to get accurate coordinates in common with geocaching, that is about all they have in common. There is nothing saying however you can't enjoy doing both. There are some valid arguments for better integration between the two sites, particularly the ability to get a Pocket Query that contains both geocaches and your favorite waymarks. But as far as combining the statistics from these two activities, that just doesn't appeal to me.

...I don't understand how just because I started caching after 2005 I can't log just one....

It's because the "locationless problem" was solved differently (via wamarking) than it could haveb been.

My idea on the locationless problem is to list them like a puzzle. Each has a radius anyone within the radius will see the locationless cache but not any other "finds". Then when they find a qualifying locationless they can then see the other logs and the locations. Then you can check your solution with others. It's a way to let more than one person enjoy each qualifying location that fits the locationless requirement. A visit is another thing and it'a an interesting spin on what to do with locationless finds after the fact.

I'm not into Waymarking, because you don't get a smiley or anything on your cache page.

I would like to do atleast one locationless cache, just for the icon and smiley.

I don't understand how just because I started caching after 2005 I can't log just one.

Or why people who have cached longer than me can keep the icon and smilies when newbies cant.

I also don't see how Waymarking has anything to do with geocaching, when you have to go to a completely different website. :blink:

Oh, well. TBSS. Kwitcher whining. I also found the A.P.E. cache in Maryland before it got archived!

:shocked: