Rechargable Batteries

burtsbodgers

Hi just thought i would let you all know

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c....H_Batteries.ar6

lidl are having batteries in soon

I have been using these for around a year and they are really quite good, i get 6-8 hours out of a charge which i think is good.

i have been using them in both an oregon amd colorado.

just thought i would let you know, i dont work for them! :shocked:

Edited to say from the 1st oct

Edited by burtsbodgers

I have been using these for around a year and they are really quite good, i get 6-8 hours out of a charge which i think is good.

just thought i would let you know, i dont work for them! :shocked:

Are Oregons and Colorados really thirsty or are the batteries rubbish?

We've been using the same set of Uniross 2300ah batteries for over 3 years in our 60CSx and we still get 16-20 hrs from a single charge. It all depends how much night caching we do.

Although we normally take spare batteries with us when we go out for a days' caching if we are dashing out for an FTF, it's a case of grab GPSr and go. We'd be well pleased if our batteries gave up on us and we missed the FTF because of them. :blink: We could certainly see it happening if we could only get 6-8 hrs charge at a time.

Sorry, but we don't see that as a good buy for us.

I & P

just thought i would let you know, i dont work for them! :D

Are Oregons and Colorados really thirsty or are the batteries rubbish?

We've been using the same set of Uniross 2300ah batteries for over 3 years in our 60CSx and we still get 16-20 hrs from a single charge. It all depends how much night caching we do.

Although we normally take spare batteries with us when we go out for a days' caching if we are dashing out for an FTF, it's a case of grab GPSr and go. We'd be well pleased if our batteries gave up on us and we missed the FTF because of them. :o We could certainly see it happening if we could only get 6-8 hrs charge at a time.

Sorry, but we don't see that as a good buy for us.

I & P

The oregons and Colorados are much more power hungry, a good set of duracells only last this long.

this is the trouble with running all the features on a decent upto date unit i am afraid rather than the older units. :blink:

Sorry - but I find my Colorado no more power hungry...

Admittedly I rarely use the back light, but really really really - I find them no more hungry!!!

I still use my rechargables, and I still leave the GPS on all day!!! I change the batteries at the end of the caching trip and recharge them, and put in newly recharged ones next time. I have been away for a 3 day camping event and been caching for two days and only used the one set.....

Exactly the same as I would have done with the 60C

Sorry - but I find my Colorado no more power hungry...

Admittedly I rarely use the back light, but really really really - I find them no more hungry!!!

I still use my rechargables, and I still leave the GPS on all day!!!

I have to agree with HazelS... My Colorado and 60CSx both get exactly the same amount of useable power from whatever batteries I choose to use... But to only get 6 - 8 hrs from some rechargeables is pretty dire..

I would expect at lease 16 hrs from a decent set.

Has anyone tried the new "eneloop" style rechargeables? These are supposed to have a very low self discharge, unlike the regular types..

My choice for online battery store is Component Shop..

Sorry

this seems to be getting out of hand

i put the times in to so most people would get an idea of how long they would last

not actual performance

they are only £2.49 for 4 which is cheaper than non rechargable batteries and would out perform most peoples requirements.

i personally have not carried out strict time trials as i always carry spares and use an incar lead in caching sessions and it is difficult to measure just how long they last.

i use probably one pair and they last about a weeks worth of caching for me depending obviously on how much caching i do.

I have found that 6-8 hours out of normal batteries about right for the colorado and oregon compared to the 12-16 hours in the Legend i owned, but this is to be expected as the screens are much bigger and therefore use more power.

i did not post the original to become a discussion about the relative merrits of higher priced batteries but to inform others that these where available should they wish to try them.

i will be buying some more at these prices

the charger that is available as well is quite good

the charger that is available as well is quite good

The charger is a very popular item in the bargain forums around the country.

It's particularly good because unlike the cheap uniross-type chargers, it charges each individual battery separately. This means if you need to charge 3 (my head torches all take 3 AAAs) you don't have to discharge the 4th or make sure you do all 12 at once (IYKWIM)

There was a particularly special deal if anyone wants to try low-drain batteries* at OutdoorWorld at the moment.

They were selling 4 x 1700mah Duracell Rechargeables for £2.99 here. They say sold out at the moment but the stock goes up and down.

1700s may not seem that powerful, but you'll often find the chinese 2300s or 2600s degrade after the first 1/2 dozen charges to be about 1500mah. We have about 30 chinese ones which also drop their charge if you don't use them straight out of the charger.

*"Hybrid" batteries are regarded as low-drain because they arrive ready-charged and have a low self-drain ability - I believe they have to have a certain per cent of charge after a certain period. We have Colorados and Hybrids perform far far better than standard rechargeables. If you see us at an event - give me a shout. I often have 1/2 a dozen different types of battery with me.

And to back-up Niall, 7 Day Shop are excellent - especially considering they are free shipping.

Many thanks for the heads-up, BurtsBodgers.

My telescope takes 8 x AAs at a time, so I need at least 24 rechargables to assure a good night's work. The lower capacity isn't much of a hardship in that application as by the time the batteries are run down it's time to go inside to warm up and have a slurp of hot soup.

Edited by The Forester