Cache Event Guidelines

TeamPatchwork

Just curious if this event is a guidelines violation. Sounds like a fun event, but since I had an event denied by the reviewer because we were going to find some caches, I was a little surprised to find this one published...

GC1Y2HG

SOooooo, what I'm hearing is YOU got YOUR event denied and now you've appointed yourself event police and reviewer auditor.... :(:shocked:

It says they're meeting to discuss geocaching too... However briefly..... It's almost no different than using a flash mob to meet up for a smiley before going caching.... (hint, hint) :blink:

SOooooo, what I'm hearing is YOU got YOUR event denied and now you've appointed yourself event police and reviewer auditor.... :blink::shocked:

No, not really. :( Just trying to get a better understanding of what passes and what doesn't. After being told by a reviewer that an event "must be open to ALL geocachers and must NOT involve the finding of caches", it just seems a bit "iffy". ;)

Seems close to a couple of lines. Is it for the express purpose of finding caches? Is it far geocachers or primarily a biking event?

As I understand it hunting for caches can be included in an event but can not be its sole purpose. OK, so it seems to pass that. The geocaches are only a part of what is going to be happening.

I think the for geocachers part is closer to the line. It sounds more like it is a bicycling event that includes an introduction to geocaching. Still, it is open to all cachers with the ability to do the ride.

I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts from a reviewer. How about it guys?

DulcimerGuy, not sure what your event description said or what the event itself was about, but from what I understand (which might be incorrect), if the main focus (or a major part) of the event is to find caches, I don't think it will be approved.

People cache at most events, but if there will be other things happening, like a BBQ, games, geocaching tips, things like that (even a short 15 minute thing), it will likely be approved.

The event in question seems like the owner will be showing people a little of what caching is about but the main focus will be bike riding.

Edited by Skippermark

Out here, we have what are known as Cache Machines. Their purpose is to get an army of people together, and find as many caches as possible in an ares. The most recent was a couple of weeks ago at the Tri-Cities.

A Cache Machine can not be an event.

So....there is a Cache Machine Dinner, after the running around is over. That is the event. An opportunity for cachers to get together and talk about...well...caching.

The last Machine I went to, I bagged something like 50 or so (we had been there many times before), and an Event, all in one day.

Seems close to a couple of lines. Is it for the express purpose of finding caches? Is it far geocachers or primarily a biking event?

As I understand it hunting for caches can be included in an event but can not be its sole purpose. OK, so it seems to pass that. The geocaches are only a part of what is going to be happening.

I think the for geocachers part is closer to the line. It sounds more like it is a bicycling event that includes an introduction to geocaching. Still, it is open to all cachers with the ability to do the ride.

Hmm. I went on a 14 mile group hike event about 6 months ago. That sounds kind of like what this is. True, we weren't told we were going to stay in a group (which we didn't, I remember hiking about 2 miles totally solo), or that we were going to find x number of caches as a group along the way.

Either way, I'm guessing the OP had a cache machine type event rejected, and don't see too much of a similarity here.

Hmm. I went on a 14 mile group hike event about 6 months ago. That sounds kind of like what this is. True, we weren't told we were going to stay in a group (which we didn't, I remember hiking about 2 miles totally solo), or that we were going to find x number of caches as a group along the way.

Either way, I'm guessing the OP had a cache machine type event rejected, and don't see too much of a similarity here.

:shocked: So, is this a reviewers thoughts? :blink:

From a U.K. perspective... I think an event cache page like the one in the OP would be very unlikely to be published over here.

Yes, plenty of cachers will get together to go caching before/after/during a UK geocaching event but the actual event itself is a social occasion that any geocacher(s) may attend, without feeling any obligation to go on whatever cache hunt has been organised.

It's easy enough to sort out: Arrange the event part as a breakfast/picnic/evening pub meet with a specific time slot, make it clear that it's a social get-together for all geocachers, mention bringing trackables along etc.

Then at the end of the description I think it's acceptable to say something like, "A group of us will be meeting up before/after the event to do Whatever. If you'd like to join us please contact Whatshisname through his profile (or link to a local forum) for further details."

That's how it seems to work over here. :D

MrsB

:D So, is this a reviewers thoughts? :blink:

Never in a million years, pal. I guess when you're quoting something, you should really delete the sentences that don't apply. Especially if it's the last one. :o

To address FamilyDNA in post 10 (as a non-reviewer, of course) many people in the group hike event I attended didn't hike the entire 14 miles, and were allowed to attend. It wasn't even a question, really. I assume this applies to this particular biking event as well. I would add though, that a 14 mile hike (I believe it was rated 3 terrain), or a 20 mile bike ride are not open to all Geocachers.

EDIT: By the way, I just noticed this cycling event is this weekend, and only like 1 guy who isn't the cache owner is going to show up. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

If I showed up for the informational chat, knowing full well I didn't plan to complete the entire ride, would I still be allowed to log my attendance?

In my opinion, this is the most important question. I have been on several "hiking events", but all of them made it clear that we would assemble at a meeting place and hold an event for at least a half hour. Sometimes it is a local Starbucks, other times, at the trail head itself. It was always made clear that this was the "event" and anyone present had attended the event. When the event ended, those that choose to attend the extra activities were certainly welcome.

In my personal opinion, the actual caching event should be separated from the bike ride, and the explanation should be added to the cache page.

If I showed up for the informational chat, knowing full well I didn't plan to complete the entire ride, would I still be allowed to log my attendance?

I would probably say it depends on where the posted coordinates of the event are. If the posted coords are at the beginning for the informational chat, then anyone who shows up for that should be able to log the event as attended. On the other side, if the posted coords are at the destination, then I would say that is the spot where you have to show up to to log the event. If that was the case, I would have worded the event page a little differently - "We're having an event at spot x. For those who are up for it, a group of us are going to meet at spot y and cycle to spot x for the event. We will probably grab a few caches along the way too. See you at spot x."

This past summer I co-hosted a very successful terrain 5 event. GC1TY6Y To log the event you had to be on the island because that's where the event was. We said you needed a boat to get there only because that was the most realistic and logical option. However, if someone decided to come by parachute for example, you couldn't tell them they couldn't log an attended just because they didn't come by boat.

The other issue is actually caches. I think the guidelines are clear that you cannot have an event for the sole purpose of finding a cache. I believe someone already mentioned this but it could, in theory, lead to some cachers having an event anytime 2 or more people got together to find a cache. I think what you can do though is say "We're having an event and FYI caches a,b, and c are in the area which you could do before or after the event." I believe that would be a different situation.

I would add though, that a 14 mile hike (I believe it was rated 3 terrain), or a 20 mile bike ride are not open to all Geocachers.

I think I see what you are trying to say here but please correct me if I'm wrong though. I would say the hike or the bike ride would be open to any and all geocachers in the sense that all are invited to join. However, every geocacher may not have the ability to do the hike or bike ride. In that way I think it's a bit like a cache. Not everyone can do every cache, but we still have them.

I would add though, that a 14 mile hike (I believe it was rated 3 terrain), or a 20 mile bike ride are not open to all Geocachers.

I think I see what you are trying to say here but please correct me if I'm wrong though. I would say the hike or the bike ride would be open to any and all geocachers in the sense that all are invited to join. However, every geocacher may not have the ability to do the hike or bike ride. In that way I think it's a bit like a cache. Not everyone can do every cache, but we still have them.

Likewise an event held on an island might not be open to cachers without a boat and it's possible that an event held in a pub might not be accessible to someone who has a moral objection to being around alcohol.

What they mean by it has to be open to everyone is that you can't hold an event for say, veterans only, or

NY residents only, or Democrats only, etc.

Oh, I agree. I just didn't word that very well.

I have always said that we should get rid of the guidelines and go to rules. This way one reviewer does what another reviewer does.

Example:

I was told that I could not post that we will be having a raffle at an event I hosted, yet I see other events all over that post that info in there listings.

In N.Y., the reviewer will not let you place caches every .1 in an area because they call it "cache saturation", yet in N.H. and Maine they have areas that are on a trail and you can get 140+ caches in 8 hrs and they are placed at like .1 apart.

I have always said that we should get rid of the guidelines and go to rules. This way one reviewer does what another reviewer does.

Example:

I was told that I could not post that we will be having a raffle at an event I hosted, yet I see other events all over that post that info in there listings.

In N.Y., the reviewer will not let you place caches every .1 in an area because they call it "cache saturation", yet in N.H. and Maine they have areas that are on a trail and you can get 140+ caches in 8 hrs and they are placed at like .1 apart.

Well, those people could be posting the raffles after the event was listed. I know of such a recent case. And I'm not saying people do it to circumvent the guidelines, they very well may just not know.

Yes, some guy was told he was "saturating" the Adirondacks. And believe me, they weren't no 529 feet apart either. :D In my opinion, inconsistencies abound with the volunteer reviewer system, with guidelines instead of rules. I think ultimately not very many people know about the appeals process, or use it.

The raffles at the events I've attended have been free: sign the event log, get a raffle ticket. Was your raffle free, or is it a fundraiser for some organization? A fundraiser could run up against the agenda guideline.

Likewise an event held on an island might not be open to cachers without a boat and it's possible that an event held in a pub might not be accessible to someone who has a moral objection to being around alcohol.

What they mean by it has to be open to everyone is that you can't hold an event for say, veterans only, or

NY residents only, or Democrats only, etc.

Since the hike event being mentioned was mine, yes it is open to everyone. Anyone can attend. I know not everyone can hike 14 miles or 35miles like one of the hikes were, however as long as you make an effort, then I am ok with you getting a smiley for it, even if you just hike 1 mile. Just like going to a pub event, some people only stay for 5 minutes to make an "appearance" and then leave, but they get the smiley too. I am hosting my 7th such event next month and if you read any of the logs for my previous hike events, you will see how much geocachers enjoyed them. Some even go as far as writing multiple pages of logs. See GCZZZ0 for the first one.

Example:

Is it possible that certain managed lands have this particular policy in effect and the reviewer is merely seeing that they are followed so that we can still cache on those properties? NY State Parks in particular?

Or maybe your reviewer just likes to pick on you?