Where have all the good coins gone?

gridlox

In a response in another thread about how hard is it to find a certain coin...

... it's almost as hard to find ... a geocoin related to caching!

Ain't it the truth! ;)

I've just come back after a self imposed 2.5 month break from Geocaching, the forums & designing to take care of some family issues. With anticipation of seeing some of the cool stuff that was put out during my absence I came to the Geocoin Discussions section of the forums.

:):(

Other than a couple of designs, there wasn't much to get really excited about. :(

I refuse to read another single post that mentions a "cointest" or "mission". :blink:

I want to see nice original coin designs!!

I sooooo miss the days of sitting waiting for the next coin to go on sale. Sadly, I don't even remember the last coin I saw that I "just had to have" when they went on sale. Not saying I haven't seen anything I wanted, but if I missed them it wasn't that big of a deal. :(

Honestly, I don't even remember the last coin I bought that wasn't a club coin or one I designed. :(

(edit: Scratch that! I bought some really cool guitar coins at Geowoodstock!! ;);) )

F5 - F5 - F5 - F5 - F5

Those were the days!! :D

But, from a designer's viewpoint, it has gotten really hard to come up with something original nowadays that is Geocaching related unless it is a personal or event coin. Most all of the good themes have been done (or overdone). :( And I don't think I speak just for myself either. If it was just me being burnt out of original ideas, then some of the other VERY TALENTED designers here would still be producing new original stuff.

So... you folks that say they want Geocaching related coins again... what would be a requirement in a coin design for you to consider it Geocaching related?

Not really looking for coin ideas (unless you have one you want to share :shocked: ), but just elements on the coin that would make you look at it and say, "Now, That's a Geocaching geocoin!"

D-man B)

Edited by gridlox

" Where have all the good coins gone?"

I've been wondering where 3 specific good coins have gone over the last week.

I haven't received my order for the set of crystal compass coins yet. The order has been marked as despatched. I friend here in UK received their set a week ago - both orders were despatched on the same date from USA. :blink:

I fear they've either been caught up in our UK postal strike delays or else they're sitting in Customs somewhere as my friend had to pay extra on his set.

I do hope they turn up. They looked like really "good coins". :shocked:

MrsB

" Where have all the good coins gone?"

I've been wondering where 3 specific good coins have gone over the last week.

I haven't received my order for the set of crystal compass coins yet. The order has been marked as despatched. I friend here in UK received their set a week ago - both orders were despatched on the same date from USA. :blink:

I fear they've either been caught up in our UK postal strike delays or else they're sitting in Customs somewhere as my friend had to pay extra on his set.

I do hope they turn up. They looked like really "good coins". :shocked:

MrsB

They are awesome! I'm betting yours will turn up in a day or two!

I love the personal coins. To me it's like meeting a new geocacher.

Everything to do with caching, ie: Ammo Can, Micro, Nanos , DNF, Found it, GPSr, Pen, Pencil, 5 gallon pail, log book, Web cam, , geo pups, geo cats, geo kids, bags, backpacks swag, all related to caching has been done including, State Shapes and Cacher Sillouetts.

It's tough to come up with something new and related when after 10 years, it's been done.

Personals bring together the cacher, and their experience.

It was inevitable that with so many cachers in the world, Coins would fan out to represent other things.

Opalsns

But, from a designer's viewpoint, it has gotten really hard to come up with something original nowadays that is Geocaching related unless it is a personal or event coin.

Those are two huge categories in the 'geocaching related' coin department! There's not much left unless the coin has an ammo can, a GPS, or mentions bushwacking on it! :shocked:

I kinda like to think that ALL of my coin designs have been caching related (okay, the Afghanistan coin doesn't fit the category). My Oak Island coin celebrates the ultimate DNF -- 213 years and still no one has found the treasure. My Caching Night in Canada coin is all about caching. And my latest two are my personal coin and an event coin.

i can understand the fundamentalist ideals of wanting geocaching related geocoins, after all, there should be something "GEO" about a GEOcoin. there have been very few new designs with this concept. jackalgirls new Moebius design is everything GEO and quite interesting! i also shared the fundamentalist view many years ago, but now i have come to appreciate the fact that because Groundspeak/Geocaching.com has some fairly lax requirements when it comes to geocoin design approval, then EVERYTHING is fair game when it comes to geocoins! and guess what?! thats okay too, because there is a fan base for every new coin idea! there are no real limits! so in recent years, GEOcoins, for me, have come to represent the whole GEOcaching community,...there are no limits, we are all different yet similar, the world is a diverse place, we like some, and we love others! so the real question should be: where have all the bad coins gone?! :shocked:

Everything to do with caching, ie: Ammo Can, Micro, Nanos , DNF, Found it, GPSr, Pen, Pencil, 5 gallon pail, log book, Web cam, , geo pups, geo cats, geo kids, bags, backpacks swag, all related to caching has been done including, State Shapes and Cacher Sillouetts.

It's tough to come up with something new and related when after 10 years, it's been done.

It was inevitable that with so many cachers in the world, Coins would fan out to represent other things.

Opalsns

Very well said, Patty. :shocked:

It's just a matter of opinion about what a 'good' geocoin is. My heart won't beat any faster about geocaching related geocoins. Four of the six geocoins I 'designed' does not have a geocaching related design. I for myself am very much attracted by historical or national geocoin. I like a geocoin to tell a story.

In my eyes all geocoins are geocaching related, for they are trackable. But hey, there are more then enough geocoins to please everyone...

Opalsns

i can understand the fundamentalist ideals of wanting geocaching related geocoins, after all, there should be something "GEO" about a GEOcoin. there have been very few new designs with this concept. jackalgirls new Moebius design is everything GEO and quite interesting! i also shared the fundamentalist view many years ago, but now i have come to appreciate the fact that because Groundspeak/Geocaching.com has some fairly lax requirements when it comes to geocoin design approval, then EVERYTHING is fair game when it comes to geocoins! and guess what?! thats okay too, because there is a fan base for every new coin idea! there are no real limits! so in recent years, GEOcoins, for me, have come to represent the whole GEOcaching community,...there are no limits, we are all different yet similar, the world is a diverse place, we like some, and we love others! so the real question should be: where have all the bad coins gone?!

Odyssey Voyager

Not an ammo can or Groundspeak logo to be found anywhere.

SANY0095-1.jpg

Getting tired of any coin that lacks an ammo can or a gps being grouped as a bad coin or not a geocoin. Need to add (as long as I'm in a bad mood today, anyway,) cointest...mission.

ILYK and what your coin represents!

Opalsns

i can understand the fundamentalist ideals of wanting geocaching related geocoins, after all, there should be something "GEO" about a GEOcoin. there have been very few new designs with this concept. jackalgirls new Moebius design is everything GEO and quite interesting! i also shared the fundamentalist view many years ago, but now i have come to appreciate the fact that because Groundspeak/Geocaching.com has some fairly lax requirements when it comes to geocoin design approval, then EVERYTHING is fair game when it comes to geocoins! and guess what?! thats okay too, because there is a fan base for every new coin idea! there are no real limits! so in recent years, GEOcoins, for me, have come to represent the whole GEOcaching community,...there are no limits, we are all different yet similar, the world is a diverse place, we like some, and we love others! so the real question should be: where have all the bad coins gone?!

Odyssey Voyager

Not an ammo can or Groundspeak logo to be found anywhere.

SANY0095-1.jpg

Getting tired of any coin that lacks an ammo can or a gps being grouped as a bad coin or not a geocoin. Need to add (as long as I'm in a bad mood today, anyway,) cointest...mission.

ILYK and what your coin represents!

Showing support and concern...

Hoo Boy!!! :( How to dig one's self out of a hole? :shocked:

Weird how things posted at 2:30AM during a bout of insomnia & a couple of glasses of wine sound so good at the time, huh? :(;)

First off...

I'd like to apologize to anyone that thinks I was putting down their coins. :(I definately was not.

I've seen some really nice designs being produced. ;)

What I was refering to was the proverbial "Geocaching Related" geocoins that some folks seem to be looking for.

The main reason for the post was to get a sense of what folks now consider a Geocaching related coin. :blink:

Does just having a "Ammo Can, Micro, Nanos , DNF, Found it, GPSr, Pen, Pencil, 5 gallon pail, log book, Web cam, geo pups, geo cats, geo kids, bags, backpacks swag, ... " stuck on the coin somewhere make it a Geocaching related coin?

Or does the whole theme of the coin have to be Geocaching to be considered a Geocaching related coin?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Again, I apologize if you thought I was putting down your coin. :D

Secondly...

I was not demeaning the cointest/mission post. I simply meant that "I" had looked at enough of them and was ready to see more post about coins being made.

But, hey, with today's economy, I should be happy that there are any being made right now for us to enjoy!! :( I know I'm definately not in the position to back any being made. I just grateful that there are others that can. B)

Thirdly...

Note to self!!! Do NOT Drink & Post at 2:00AM!! :) It makes you look like an a**!!

tekkguy - I sent you a PM with (what is probably) a lame coin idea, if that helps.

Actually, I thought it was a pretty good idea. ;)

Simple, Clean & Definately a Geocaching related idea. I don't think it has been made before. :(

That's the thing about ideas like that. Just a simple short catch phrase and a nice base for it to go on. Like other's you're probably thinking, "With as many coins that have been made, this idea would have to have been made already by someone."

D-man :(

Hahahaah gridlox, your last post made me laugh. :o I was going to point out the irony of you saying something about no more geocaching coins, and then editing the post to talk about some GUITAR coins you got... :D

I don't know about anyone else, but all is forgiven from this end at least! I've been on the posting side of the late night drinking thing myself a few times. :blink:

Personally, I love that there is more than just strict geocaching coins available. Not everyone will like everything, but there is a lot to choose from and almost anyone can find something they like. :D And if not, well, hey, there's a lot of resources out there for making your own!

Actually, I thought it was a pretty good idea. :blink:

Simple, Clean & Definately a Geocaching related idea. I don't think it has been made before. :D

That's the thing about ideas like that. Just a simple short catch phrase and a nice base for it to go on. Like other's you're probably thinking, "With as many coins that have been made, this idea would have to have been made already by someone."

D-man :D

Great! Let me know when you have it made and I'll buy a couple. :o

You want a caching related coin.... you got it!!

I have had "Geocaching Virtues" on the back burner for a long time now - so now maybe I will produce it since the geo-public craves 'geocaching related' coins.

I'm planning on a 16 cache series to accompany this coin.

Virtues.jpg

Look for it soon from Geocoin Design!! :D

I have had "Geocaching Virtues" on the back burner for a long time now - so now maybe I will produce it since the geo-public craves 'geocaching related' coins.

<snip>

Look for it soon from Geocoin Design!! :D

Very nice!

<snip>

Look for it soon from Geocoin Design!! :rolleyes:

Pretty cool! :grin:

Is the hole in the middle for some sort of a spinner element? :)

D-man ;)

What a cool coin idea! Would be fun to give to newer cachers so they don't have to remember all the rules. :D

Well, the idea was derived with a good caching friend, Eyeseeit. Here are the Cache summaries for each of the virtues:

Geocaching Virtues: Log your flight plan

- If you are to geocache alone, it is always a good idea to leave a note at the car or let a family member or friend know where you are going and when you will likely be back. You could be missing a long time before anyone knows you are missing. You could get lost or injured in an area where no one knows to look for your decomposing carcass.

Geocaching Virtues: Mark your car

- You can easily get turned around and disoriented deep in the woods. I have done it. By marking a waypoint for the location of your cachemobile, you have a better chance of making it home tonight. It is also a good idea to mark where you depart from a known trail and go bushwhacking.

Geocaching Virtues: Introduce a friend to Geocaching

- Bring a newbie along for a cache hunt. You remember how easily you got hooked when you were a newbie. The more new geocachers that are involved in this great and fun hobby, the more caches there will be for us all to hunt and enjoy.

Geocaching Virtues: Respect Nature

- Be a responsible geocacher by respecting nature and the land on which we cache. Observe the outdoor rule “take pictures, leave footprints”. Do not remove native plants. Do not disturb animal remains. Obey the rules and regulations of the public lands we share.

Geocaching Virtues: Respect Private Property

- Do not hide a cache on private property without permission. Do not cross private property to access cacheable land. Be mindful of the example you set for other cachers and muggle folk who we may encounter enroute to a cache.

Geocaching Virtues: Extra Batteries

- Geocaching is enjoyed by many different people for many different reasons. Some geocachers are all about the number of finds and where they rank on the find chart. Others enjoy moving trackables. Still others find great pleasure in solving a puzzle or seeking a well crafted and cleverly concealed microcache. Don’t forget the FTF hounds out there. It is all good. Just find the aspect of the game that pushes your buttons and focus on what brings you joy. Most importantly, make sure you have fresh new batteries in your geopack. Nothing sucks more than being out in a remote area and your GPSr goes down. Not only can this be very dangerous to the immediate health of the cacher, you won't be able to navigate your way out of the woods very well.

Geocaching Virtues: Be Stealthy

- This is far less of an issue deep in the woods. It is more of an issue in urban settings. Be mindful of muggles and modify or conceal your behavior as needed to protect the hide. It is better to go away and cache back later than to compromise a hide.

Geocaching Virtues: Avoid S.O.G.A.

- Whenever possible, please avoid signs of geocaching activity (SOGA), otherwise known as creating a geo-trail. Many of us have found a geocache by getting close to ground zero and spotting trampled brush, broken limbs and other evidence of adverse human impact on the environment. Try to be nice to the woodsiness.

Geocaching Virtues: Report Maintenance

- Please post a "Needs Maintenance" log or email the cache owner when one is warranted. It is a matter of good caching etiquette to report full logs, wet sheets, icky interiors or other maintenance issues. The cache owner may not be aware of any issues with the cache. It is also a good habit to have miscellaneous items such as baggies or pencils, and perhaps a spare log in your geopack as a temporary replacement item until the cache owner can get out to properly replenish their cache.

Geocaching Virtues: Trade Even or Trade Up

- Carry and drop some swag. No one likes an empty cache. No one likes a cache raider. If you choose not to swag swap, fine. Please don't ruin the swag part for those who do enjoy it, especially those "minicachers".

Geocaching Virtues: Move Trackables Quickly

- The generally accepted standard for caching is not to hold travel bugs or trackable geocoins longer than two weeks. If you need to hold a bug longer it is preferred that you email the trackables' owner so as to let them know the status of the item. The system flags travelers' in your possession over two weeks so you can be aware of the passage of time. Be a courteous cacher and move them rapidly.

Geocaching Virtues: Re-Hide Well

- When replacing a cache in a hidey spot be sure to re-hide it at least as well as the last guy. Hide it better if the last geocacher did not hold up their end of the bargain. Think as the cache owner thought and hide it like it was your own. There's nothing like reaching ground zero and finding a cache out in the open when you know it should have been concealed in some way.

Geocaching Virtues: Practice CITO (Cache in, Trash out)

- Pitch in. Bring a small trash bag or pick up and dispose of litter when you are out caching. Pick up something on every hunt. Cache In – Trash Out (CITO) is likely one of the greatest PR opportunities we have as geocachers to raise awareness of our sport and promote good will with the muggle community. This practice also encourages others to allow geocaches where they would otherwise not be allowed.

Geocaching Virtues: Log Well

- Take an extra few seconds to log a little more on the log book or put a bit of a comment in your online log. It is a fast and easy way to thank the cache hider and demonstrate your appreciation for their efforts. How do you feel when you see “TNLNSL” or “TFTC” and nothing more logged on one of your hides? Spread good caching cheer and it will come back to you.

Geocaching Virtues: Hide a Cache!

- The best way to pay back the geocommunity for the great caching you enjoy is to hide a cache for others to find. Get out there and use some of the creativity, cleverness and wit we all have and plant some caches!

Geocaching Virtues: Join a club

- Join Geocachers Exploring Oregon (GEOregon). GEOregon is a geocaching group, while although it may not be very local to us, they are a great bunch of people not representing a specific area of Oregon, but ALL of Oregon. Go to www.georegon.com to learn more and become more active in the greater geocommunity. From social events to geocaching issues the web site is loaded with information and good friends just waiting to be found and made.

This coin will be out prior to the end of the year (knock on wood). :lol:

~J