Garmin Track History Length (breadcrumb trail)

Rustynail

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx. When hiking, the displayed track history behind me only extends back a couple of hours or miles. On my old Magellan, this displayed track history would go on for days. I have the track set to Auto and to save to a 2GB SD card, so memory capacity is not a problem.

I would like the displayed track history to extend for at least one day so I could see the track I hiked in on when returning on a trail - especially useful on loop trails.

Does anyone know how to extend the length of the displayed track history on Garmin displays?

What is the percent memory the track is using when it stops showing? I have not had this problem, I don't think anyway. I have not had my track running for over a day but I do have tracks several miles/hours long. I set mine to save fewer points sometimes but for some reason I don't think that's the problem here.

I just got a little card for mine, I was going to post a thread on tips to using it, I'm not sure I understand how it's supposed to work. From what I gather, the unit does not use the card, but you can access it on your computer.

This weekend I will attempt to save a long track and see if I can reproduce your results. Hopefully someone else will chime in before that. :o

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx. When hiking, the displayed track history behind me only extends back a couple of hours or miles. On my old Magellan, this displayed track history would go on for days. I have the track set to Auto and to save to a 2GB SD card, so memory capacity is not a problem.

I would like the displayed track history to extend for at least one day so I could see the track I hiked in on when returning on a trail - especially useful on loop trails.

Does anyone know how to extend the length of the displayed track history on Garmin displays?

Something isn't working right here. You should easily be able to record the entire days track, as the eTrex line saves a minium of 10,000 trackpoints in the active track. Have you tried downloading your track to see if it's recording more than what is showing on the display for some reason? How many trackpoints is it saving prior to cutting out on you?

OK cool, so it is like my 60. You may wanna check the default setting on the map setup page. I know when i set up my csx, the default number of track points the map would display was set to 3000. I had to manually increase it to 10,000 once i found out the map would display more.

From the map page, hit menu, scroll to setup map, cursor over the the curvy line icon at the top (second from left) There should be a line that says "Track Points" Like i said, initially mine was set to 3000. The "X" units will display up to the last 10, 000 plotted track points at one time.

Your Vista should be the same as my Legend HCx.

Go to the Main Menu screen.

Select Tracks.

Select Setup.

Select Data Card Setup.

Make sure you have "Log Track to Data Card" checked.

That will cause a daily track log to be created on the data card. The file name will be YYYYMMDD.GPX. It will contain the entire track log for that date regardless of what's in the internal track log.

These files will not be transferred to Mapsource when you do a "Receive From" your Vista. You will need to copy the file yourself, using Mass Storage mode through the USB connection or pop the card and use a card reader. If you already are logging track data to the data card those files should already be there for your viewing pleasure.

...ken...

Let me add a few remarks to the stuff mentioned above.

Writing tracks to the card does not mean that memory is no issue. The tracks on the card are extra, the unit does not use those for displaying etc. The tracks displayed on the screen and in the tracks menu are stored in the (limited) internal memory. This internal memory stores 10.000 track points for the active track and saved tracks combined (as displayed in the track menu). The active track will wrap when this memory is full. So check whether you have reached this limit and maybe delete some old saved tracks to make room for a longer active track.

About the track points display limit mentioned by DeadHead82: this might also be the reason for the track not being displayed entirely. Although 3000 trackpoints is quite a lot, if you log very frequently, it indeed won't capture an entire day of walking. So increase that setting if necessary.

Edited by Orion84