Need help with an illegal cache

WoodlandAlliance

GCWPWZ

I posted a note stating the park's rule on glass containers and nothing has been done yet. How do I bring this to the attention of Wis Kid or whoever can disable this one until it's replaced?

My recommendation would be to slow down a bit on this.

This cache has been there since for more than three years. It has 224 finds on it. That qualifies it in my book to be a longstanding cache. That does not mean it can't be scrutinized at this point, but it isn't a cache that was planted there yesterday by somebody with three finds to their name.

You do not know the cache owner. You do not know what kind of specific permission the cache owner has or doesn't have with the park. The cache has not caused a problem for three years so I'm not sure the next step is to demand it be disabled. I realize you posted a needs maintenance note, but that can be easily overlooked (shouldn't be, but is). Have you sent an email directly to the cache owner explaining your concerns and asking for clarification? That would be my next step especially when it comes to a cache that has three years of finds once I got there.

If after a week there is still no response from the owner, and you feel like this is a big enough issue, I would then send an email to your area's reviewer.

GCWPWZ

I posted a note stating the park's rule on glass containers and nothing has been done yet. How do I bring this to the attention of Wis Kid or whoever can disable this one until it's replaced?

My recommendation would be to slow down a bit on this.

This cache has been there since for more than three years. It has 224 finds on it. That qualifies it in my book to be a longstanding cache. That does not mean it can't be scrutinized at this point, but it isn't a cache that was planted there yesterday by somebody with three finds to their name.

You do not know the cache owner. You do not know what kind of specific permission the cache owner has or doesn't have with the park. The cache has not caused a problem for three years so I'm not sure the next step is to demand it be disabled. I realize you posted a needs maintenance note, but that can be easily overlooked (shouldn't be, but is). Have you sent an email directly to the cache owner explaining your concerns and asking for clarification? That would be my next step especially when it comes to a cache that has three years of finds once I got there.

If after a week there is still no response from the owner, and you feel like this is a big enough issue, I would then send an email to your area's reviewer.

The container is glass to make it see-through. Ammo boxes in city parks are too easily mistaken for "explosive devices." The ban on glass is more due to people breaking beer bottles in the parking lots, not people who may have a jar of mayonnaise in their picnic basket. Or a Geocaching container.

If the infraction is a glass container I would look the other way. You will always find caches that violate the guidelines. It puts you in a dilemma. If you do something about it you will be accused of being the "cache police". Personally I have been accused of being an "overzealous cacher". (Because I was irritated that someone didn't retrieve their archived cache 11 months after the fact?)

I usually look the other way simply because if you don't you will most likely encounter friction with your local cachers.

You have to pick your battles.

Oh yeah- I wouldn't call anything an "illegal" cache.