Devils Racetrack

runner_one

I wondered about posting this here or in a regional forum but decided on posting it here because it might interest more people. If a moderator feels like there is a more appropriate forum please move the post there.

Has anyone ever heard of the Devils Racetrack? In case you haven’t here is a link to a virtual cache there; Devil's Racetrack.

I have been fascinated by this area for many years and have wished to visit it for some time, did so this July. Found it to beautiful mysterious and amazing all at the same time. I highly recommend that anyone who ever has the chance to, make the trip out at least once in their lifetime. But to day while reminiscing about my trip last July I found myself looking at photos taken over the years by other cachers and listed in the gallery Here.

I began to compare the photos taken by other visitors to the racetrack over the years to the photos I took when I visited it last month. Those photos are here; My Photo Album

Suddenly a few jumped out at me, in particular, these two;

racetrack1.jpg

cf41b724-fec1-4435-b93f-5a552baf281d.jpg

Remarkable, myself and another cacher had chosen to photograph the same three rocks from almost the same angle, although my photo was taken after sundown, the fact that they are the same three rocks is clear.

The first one taken by me this July the second taken by another geocahcer in April of 2004, that is more than five years and as near as I can tell those three rocks have not moved one inch. Oh yes it is absolutely clear that from time to time those rocks do move but seeing those two pictures taken more five years apart from similar angles demonstrates the remarkable aridity of the area. So, the reason for my post. I was just wanting to point out this wonderful hidden gem of north American geography and solicit any comments, observations, or questions, maybe even start a discussion on mysterious places around the world.

I wondered about posting this here or in a regional forum but decided on posting it here because it might interest more people. If a moderator feels like there is a more appropriate forum please move the post there.

Has anyone ever heard of the Devils Racetrack? In case you haven’t here is a link to a virtual cache there; Devil's Racetrack.

I have been fascinated by this area for many years and have wished to visit it for some time, did so this July. Found it to beautiful mysterious and amazing all at the same time. I highly recommend that anyone who ever has the chance to, make the trip out at least once in their lifetime. But to day while reminiscing about my trip last July I found myself looking at photos taken over the years by other cachers and listed in the gallery Here.

I began to compare the photos taken by other visitors to the racetrack over the years to the photos I took when I visited it last month. Those photos are here; My Photo Album

Suddenly a few jumped out at me, in particular, these two;

racetrack1.jpg

cf41b724-fec1-4435-b93f-5a552baf281d.jpg

Remarkable, myself and another cacher had chosen to photograph the same three rocks from almost the same angle, although my photo was taken after sundown, the fact that they are the same three rocks is clear.

The first one taken by me this July the second taken by another geocahcer in April of 2004, that is more than five years and as near as I can tell those three rocks have not moved one inch. Oh yes it is absolutely clear that from time to time those rocks do move but seeing those two pictures taken more five years apart from similar angles demonstrates the remarkable aridity of the area. So, the reason for my post. I was just wanting to point out this wonderful hidden gem of north American geography and solicit any comments, observations, or questions, maybe even start a discussion on mysterious places around the world.

There's a pretty simple reason why the rocks move however infrequently. Want me to dispell the mystery for you? :o It's simple and oh so NOT mysterious.

I have wanted to go there for awhile too. I have a watch on Tea Kettle Junction to see who has been caching the area. I'm not likely to get there any time soon. I totalled my 4WD last November. :unsure:

There's a pretty simple reason why the rocks move however infrequently. Want me to dispell the mystery for you? :o It's simple and oh so NOT mysterious.

I have wanted to go there for awhile too. I have a watch on Tea Kettle Junction to see who has been caching the area. I'm not likely to get there any time soon. I totalled my 4WD last November. :unsure:

I know the theory of how and why the rocks move but until it is seen it is still a theory :unsure: And everyone loves a good mystery LOL.

However I would not give up on going out there just because you totaled your 4WD although the signs all say high clearance vehicle, I did it in a 2000 Dodge Caravan Mini-Van you cant get much lower clearance than that. I did stop a couple of times and move rocks though.

Edited by runner_one

There's a pretty simple reason why the rocks move however infrequently. Want me to dispell the mystery for you? :shocked: It's simple and oh so NOT mysterious.

I have wanted to go there for awhile too. I have a watch on Tea Kettle Junction to see who has been caching the area. I'm not likely to get there any time soon. I totalled my 4WD last November. :(

I know the theory of how and why the rocks move but until it is seen it is still a theory ;) And everyone loves a good mystery LOL.

However I would not give up on going out there just because you totaled your 4WD although the signs all say high clearance vehicle, I did it in a 2000 Dodge Caravan Mini-Van you cant get much lower clearance than that. I did stop a couple of times and move rocks though.

It's not a theory. It has been proven in a lab.

I have caches along 395 a little over 100 miles away to the North. Still, I probably won't get there for at least 3 to 5 more years. I have a Giraffe tea kettle that I have been saving for years to leave at the junction. :blink:

I'd rather do Death Valley during the winter months. I'd rather not even have the remote possibility to die from a minor vehicle breakdown during the summer. Plus, I'd like to explore on foot more which is mostly out except for morning and evening during the summer.

I have caches along 395 a little over 100 miles away to the North. Still, I probably won't get there for at least 3 to 5 more years. I have a Giraffe tea kettle that I have been saving for years to leave at the junction. :shocked:

I'd rather do Death Valley during the winter months. I'd rather not even have the remote possibility to die from a minor vehicle breakdown during the summer. Plus, I'd like to explore on foot more which is mostly out except for morning and evening during the summer.

We didn't have a teakettle but we did leave a coffee pot, Close Enough :(

We went in July and spent the night. Although it was 121 when we first entered the park, by the time we got to the racetrack just after sundown the temperature was very comfortable, by the morning we actually needed a blanket. As for breakdowns you should be sure that someone knows exactly where you are going to be and when to expect you back, and if you are late call the park rangers. Also we went in as a convoy of two vehicles, if one broke down we had a backup. By the way cell phones don't work anywhere near The Racetrack.

Yes death Vally is dangerous it's called DEATH Vally for a reason, the week after we were there a woman and her son traveling in a Jeep got off the main road and got stuck in a remote area of the park the child DIED before they were found. I know that there were at least three heat related deaths in the park just the first half of this summer alone. :blink: